Bitcoin

gopheraschells

Reaction score
I am really bullish on Ethereum long term, but bearish on bitcoin. Ethereum's success has somewhat mirrored bitcoins until now as Bitcoin was really the barometer of the crypto market. Really hoping that changes with this Ethereum run.

What else are you guys in on? I decided to buy a lottery ticket in XRP a few months ago.. will either be a total loss or a moon shot

FormerFatOL

Reaction score
I am really bullish on Ethereum long term, but bearish on bitcoin. Ethereum's success has somewhat mirrored bitcoins until now as Bitcoin was really the barometer of the crypto market. Really hoping that changes with this Ethereum run.

What else are you guys in on? I decided to buy a lottery ticket in XRP a few months ago.. will either be a total loss or a moon shot
For what it's worth, ETH has some room to run by at least 40%-50% just to get back on par with Bitcoin performance since the last crypto run in 2017-2018. This chart shows ETH price in Bitcoin currency since 2017. Past that potential growth, ETH would need to present some additional advantages to invest over the crypto "gold standard" Bitcoin.

ETH 5-3-21.png

Angry

Reaction score

Berkshire Hathaway Vice Chairman Charlie Munger’s distain toward bitcoin has only intensified amid the digital asset’s record run this year.

“Of course I hate the bitcoin success,” the 97-year-old Munger said during a Q&A session at Berkshire’s annual shareholder meeting Saturday. “I don’t welcome a currency that’s so useful to kidnappers and extortionists and so forth, nor do I like just shuffling out of your extra billions of billions of dollars to somebody who just invented a new financial product out of thin air.”

“I think I should say modestly that the whole damn development is disgusting and contrary to the interests of civilization,” said Munger, a legendary investor in his own right.

Warren Buffett, who avoided the initial question on bitcoin earlier, responded to Munger’s answer: “I’m alright on that one.”

The “Oracle of Omaha” said he didn’t want to comment directly on the digital token because he didn’t want to get grief from everyone who is long.

The world’s largest cryptocurrency enjoyed a head-turning rally this year, topping $60,000 apiece in April as involvement from Tesla to major Wall Street banks made bitcoin mainstream. Tesla recently made a $1.5 billion bet on bitcoin and now accepts the digital currency as a method of payment for its cars. Meanwhile, Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley are looking to offer their wealthy clients some exposure to bitcoin.

Bitcoin last traded above $57,000, up from about $30,000 at the start of 2021, according to Coin Metrics.

Munger has long criticized bitcoin for its extreme volatility and a lack of regulation. At the annual shareholders meeting for Daily Journal in February, Munger said bitcoin is too volatile to serve well as a medium of exchange.

“It’s really kind of an artificial substitute for gold. And since I never buy any gold, I never buy any bitcoin,” Munger said then. “Bitcoin reminds me of what Oscar Wilde said about fox hunting. He said it was the pursuit of the uneatable by the unspeakable,” he added.
Ok boomer

fan of Ray Williams

Reaction score
At the risk of making a fool out of myself, I thought gopheraschells was referring to this chart, that he is bullish on, and you, FFOL, are going with the one you posted. (I tried to get yours off the bitstamp site, but messed it up.)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-05-03 Buy Ether - Bitstamp(1).png
    Screenshot_2021-05-03 Buy Ether - Bitstamp(1).png
    213.4 KB · Views: 5

fan of Ray Williams

Reaction score
Yep. Same chart type but easier to read. My 40%-50% increase in ETH was based more on an average of the 2017-18 price to BTC while yours shows the 80% peak. I like yours better!

You see it better than I do. Honestly, this crypto, bitcoin, bitcoin mining etc, leaves me spinning my head after reading some of the articles. You've been in it for a long time and have a much better handle on it.

FormerFatOL

Reaction score
You see it better than I do. Honestly, this crypto, bitcoin, bitcoin mining etc, leaves me spinning my head after reading some of the articles. You've been in it for a long time and have a much better handle on it.
I don't understand the detailed mining and process of it either but try to follow prices and trend. I threw a few grand into various crypto right at the peak of 2017-18 bubble because the talking heads were recommending placing at least a small percentage of total assets in it. It took until the past few months to break even from that debacle. Honestly, I'm waiting for the next crash to reevaluate and decide whether to invest (speculate) more.

stocker08

Reaction score
I don't understand the detailed mining and process of it either but try to follow prices and trend. I threw a few grand into various crypto right at the peak of 2017-18 bubble because the talking heads were recommending placing at least a small percentage of total assets in it. It took until the past few months to break even from that debacle. Honestly, I'm waiting for the next crash to reevaluate and decide whether to invest (speculate) more.

Well dogecoin in particular is designed to fail. I believe I read something like.....10,000 new coins become available every minute. So as time goes on....it's going to trend towards worthless. So it's coasting on nothing more than momentum right now. But it will crash at some point. The tricky part is knowing when that happens.

FormerFatOL

Reaction score
Well dogecoin in particular is designed to fail. I believe I read something like.....10,000 new coins become available every minute. So as time goes on....it's going to trend towards worthless. So it's coasting on nothing more than momentum right now. But it will crash at some point. The tricky part is knowing when that happens.
I'm a neophyte in trading cypto, but Dogecoin seems like the perfect target to buy puts in or some sort of hedged short.

gopheraschells

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me how Bitcoin can remain the top crypto long term? The number of transactions it can do per second pales in comparison to numerous other cryptocurrencies now. Unless I make it worth the miners' time to prioritize my transaction it seems like it is pretty worthless as a currency for daily purchases. That leaves its lone value as a hedge against inflation, but that seems super risky considering how volatile it is

But yet all these major companies and hedge fund are throwing money into bitcoin. Obviously they are way smarter than I am. What do they get that I don't

WhoFellDownTheGopherHole?

Reaction score

Cardano (ADA) will potentially change how the average 'little guy' is able to participate in the world economy. It's not a sexy flip pick, but as a long hold it should see $30 (currently stable around $1.30) within a decade and really make a difference on a global level. They're working with governments (specifically in Africa) and have the potential for insane levels of mass adoption. It's also very easy to stake off-chain to rake in yield, and has a ton of community support. Once the Alonzo update takes effect in August and it finally takes on live smart contracts, it should see a pretty hefty liftoff, at least somewhere in the $3-5 range.

Polkadot, ChainLink, and to a lesser extent Stellar Lumens (XLM) should all be viable for a long time moving forward. Polkadot also offers an insane 12% return for staking, and when you do so, unlike Ethereum, it isn't locked and can be moved around and traded.

These I've mentioned are all at nice price points for the smaller investor. If you have the money, shit, just keep dumping it into Ethereum. Any entry point below 10k is going to pay off long term if you have the time available to sit and wait. I would be more shocked to not see $25-40k by 2025 than i would be to see it.

Angry

Reaction score
Cardano (ADA) will potentially change how the average 'little guy' is able to participate in the world economy. It's not a sexy flip pick, but as a long hold it should see $30 (currently stable around $1.30) within a decade and really make a difference on a global level. They're working with governments (specifically in Africa) and have the potential for insane levels of mass adoption. It's also very easy to stake off-chain to rake in yield, and has a ton of community support. Once the Alonzo update takes effect in August and it finally takes on live smart contracts, it should see a pretty hefty liftoff, at least somewhere in the $3-5 range.

Polkadot, ChainLink, and to a lesser extent Stellar Lumens (XLM) should all be viable for a long time moving forward. Polkadot also offers an insane 12% return for staking, and when you do so, unlike Ethereum, it isn't locked and can be moved around and traded.

These I've mentioned are all at nice price points for the smaller investor. If you have the money, shit, just keep dumping it into Ethereum. Any entry point below 10k is going to pay off long term if you have the time available to sit and wait. I would be more shocked to not see $25-40k by 2025 than i would be to see it.
I’m holding Cardano for 3-5 years. I think I missed the ethereum train. I’m lightly in stellar. I think the medical applications will likely win out. Maybe Civic or something like it.

fan of Ray Williams

Reaction score
Last time ETH.X had a big pull back on the weekly chart the price was around 2000 and fell to around 1300. The RSI was almost through the roof. The weekly has been following the 10 moving average up, but this week it's considerably above it as it was when the last correction happened, however the RSI looks to have more room. Going to be interesting.

Attachments

• 2021-05-03-TOS_CHARTS.png
    2021-05-03-TOS_CHARTS.png
    88 KB · Views: 5

Reaction score
Last time ETH.X had a big pull back on the weekly chart the price was around 2000 and fell to around 1300. The RSI was almost through the roof. The weekly has been following the 10 moving average up, but this week it's considerably above it as it was when the last correction happened, however the RSI looks to have more room. Going to be interesting.

As someone with modest finances who can't afford to do much more than DCA in small increments, I would LOVE to see Eth correct back down around 2500 for at least a few days. Not holding my breath, tho.

LesBolstad

Reaction score

I like your picks. I also am adding VET VeChain on dips - a supply chain crypto I think has a bright future. Check it out.

fan of Ray Williams

Reaction score
100% silly. I pulled the remainder of what I had this morning.
Yeah, but you can call it silly, you were in it. I was sitting on the sidelines after getting out in the .30's
The daily candle today is the biggest it's ever had. Opened at .42 and a high of .60
Dang!
Also, good job making some money on it.

fan of Ray Williams

Reaction score
As someone with modest finances who can't afford to do much more than DCA in small increments, I would LOVE to see Eth correct back down around 2500 for at least a few days. Not holding my breath, tho.
Quick skim of the ETH.X daily chart and don't think it has ever had 9 green days in a row, which it currently has. Most I spotted was 8. Finishes green today and that will make it 10. (Today's candle is getting pushed down.) You would think a breather and some consolidation would be in order, but who the heck knows?

Reaction score
Quick skim of the ETH.X daily chart and don't think it has ever had 9 green days in a row, which it currently has. Most I spotted was 8. Finishes green today and that will make it 10. (Today's candle is getting pushed down.) You would think a breather and some consolidation would be in order, but who the heck knows?

Right? "It's different this time" has sort of been the running joke, but there might be something to that. Mass adoption is a powerful drug...

stocker08

Reaction score

It seems like all of these should. But FOMO is a real thing and people are jumping in head first. Not sure about Ethereum....but trading platforms are opening up Dogecoin to trading so it reaches more people.

Top Bottom