Bitcoin

balds

Reaction score
Nice call here too, as Overstock is at $62 right now & was hovering around $14 when you mentioned it.

The four that posters here listed to watch Bitcoin, Overstock.com, & Theta have all done VERY well, with Flow right there on the launching pad. I may have to start following these sooner.
It's been a wild ride. Bought some in my retirement account around 19, watched it go down to the 3.50 range and then back up to nearly 100. Interestingly enough, the pandemic actually helped them. They have a lot of very interesting prospects through their T-Zero subsidiary, but the question was could their bleeding cash of a retail company survive long enough to see any of it to fruition.

Then the pandemic hit and with all of the online shopping occurring Overstock.com the retail outfit actually became profitable and have put some nice quarters together while the T-zero outfit kept plugging along.

Also of note, the main push of T-zero is to digitalize or make all stocks into digital tokens that would be traded on their blockchain platform. The advantage being having everything on blockchain would allow for having instant settlement. Gone would be all of the chicanery the big brokerages pull off between transaction and actual settlement, most notably trading/shorting excess of existing shares which was behind the Gamestop saga.

Wally

Reaction score
New record high for BTC this morning...

FormerFatOL

Reaction score
My Bitcoin, Litecoin, Bitcoin Cash, Etherium & Theta are up close to 30% since I started buying 45 days ago. This is fun!

The ride up is always a blast. Wait till it crashes like it always has in the past. Those big crashes are what keeps me from investing/speculating more than a small amount. Or is this time different?

MplsGopher

Banned
Reaction score
So when you say you've invested in them .... that means you purchased some NFTs, of each regime, and their trading price has risen higher, since then?

Wally

Reaction score
So when you say you've invested in them .... that means you purchased some NFTs, of each regime, and their trading price has risen higher, since then?
NFTs are totally different, he just bought the various currencies.

MplsGopher

Banned
Reaction score
NFTs are totally different, he just bought the various currencies.
What is the difference between NFTs and the currency?

I thought the whole point of how you get a bitcoin is you have to mine it, which means use a computer to solve a complex math problem, and your reward is a coin.

Wally

Reaction score
The ride up is always a blast. Wait till it crashes like it always has in the past. Those big crashes are what keeps me from investing/speculating more than a small amount. Or is this time different?

I don't have my life savings in there. I have weathered one boom, bust before the current boom. We shall see what happens.

FormerFatOL

Reaction score
I don't have my life savings in there. I have weathered one boom, bust before the current boom. We shall see what happens.

Me too. My first cryptocurrency buy was December 2017 in the midst of that craze. Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, and Bitcoin Cash. I threw a small amount at it knowing that it could disappear but with hopes it would grow long term. Go look at a chart and see how that worked out for two of those four :( I was underwater on those in aggregate until recently. The current chart looks an awful lot like the chart back then.

MplsGopher

Banned
Reaction score
Ok, so NFTs are just blockchain baseball cards. And coins are blockchain currency.

It's the same thing, just different intended purposes.

howeda7

Reaction score
Ok, so NFTs are just blockchain baseball cards. And coins are blockchain currency.

It's the same thing, just different intended purposes.
My understanding is that the NTF's are riskier. The "images" you're buying rights to are really just locators pointing you to somewhere on the internet. The source where the image is stored can be turned off at any point and you're SOL.

MplsGopher

Banned
Reaction score
My understanding is that the NTF's are riskier. The "images" you're buying rights to are really just locators pointing you to somewhere on the internet. The source where the image is stored can be turned off at any point and you're SOL.
Well that's crap, if so.

But in any case, you're using a bunch of electricity to direct an expensive bank of video cards to use open source, turnkey software, to solve a complex math problem, and then noting in blockchain that you solved it first and therefore are the first owner.

WhoFellDownTheGopherHole?

Reaction score
In case you wanted to send some to me (or anyone else that you love), gifting crypto is tax-free up to $15,000 per friend or family member.

Reaction score

It is and it isn't different. Sure it'll crash at the end of this bull run, but with a much higher low than previously. Probably two more cycles after this current one before things really get going full mainstream.

Reaction score
Also, while you're sitting here jousting with your favorite OTB adversaries, might as well be using the BRAVE Browser and be earning free BAT tokens. $$$ If you haven't yet, this is an opportunity to get into crypto for zero cost.

MplsGopher

Banned
Reaction score
Also, while you're sitting here jousting with your favorite OTB adversaries, might as well be using the BRAVE Browser and be earning free BAT tokens. $$$ If you haven't yet, this is an opportunity to get into crypto for zero cost.
Interesting idea, but with no mining aspect to it ... it seems not legit.

MplsGopher

Banned
Reaction score
Electricity itself doesn't produce any carbon. It's just the transfer of energy from one physical location to another, via a conducing wire.

The generation of energy at the source, is entirely the situation.

And China will quickly become the world leader in green energy generation. It could have been the US, but dumb-F conservative assholes will ruin that.

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score
Just transferred some LTC to Theta. Was a bit of a pain since I'm in the US. Had to setup a Theta wallet and then use simpleswap.io

Should have acted on your tip last week. Looks like an interesting concept.

I bought more Theta, and continue to buy while the price moves sideways around $12.50. I'm hoping big things happen by the 4th of July after the Mainet 3.0 launch on June 30th.

Recent activity includes:

- Theta just picked up another patent
Theta awarded 3rd U.S. Patent 10,979,467 for “Methods and Systems for Peer Discovery in a Decentralized Data Streaming and Delivery Network"

- Theta partnered with the World Poker Tournament on a NFT deal
Theta Network to launch an NFT marketplace for new World Poker Tour season

- Bix Weir (the guy who turned everyone on to Theta) claims Tom Brady is close to endorsing Theta as part of his own NFT project
Tom Brady Launching NFT Platform with Apple, DraftKings, Spotify Exec Advisors

- There are rumors it will soon go on Coinbase
Coinbase Could Add These 4 Crypto Assets Soon, Says Tyler Swope

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score

Shut it down, right?

Now we care about China polluting? lol

Seriously though, I could see the IMF, World Bank or various Governments try using the climate change angle if their control over the financial system is threatened. In fact, it might be the most logical way for them to hurt Bitcoin.

Wally

Reaction score
Now we care about China polluting? lol

Seriously though, I could see the IMF, World Bank or various Governments try using the climate change angle if their control over the financial system is threatened. In fact, it might be the most logical way for them to hurt Bitcoin.
He is just trolling.

I am all for going green, but you also have to accept the world as it is.

Bob_Loblaw

Reaction score
I dipped my toes into bitcoin and etherium. The powerful think about bitcoin is that it's an algorithm, it's decentralized. It's especially interesting when every country is just printing money.

I would avoid any centralized crypto.

I recommend. I can't imagine a situation where bitcoin bottoms out any time soon.

balds

Reaction score
Someone explain NFT's to me in plain English please?
Somebody takes a picture, say of Steph Curry taking a jump shot. You can buy that digital image and "own" it. It is on the blockchain and thus preserved as "original" and cannot be copied or altered. And then it somehow has value and can be sold for much higher. I'm told that they only go up in value.

My opinion: This is getting ridiculous. Won't be long before a rock I find on my next walk will be worth $15,000.

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score
Somebody takes a picture, say of Steph Curry taking a jump shot. You can buy that digital image and "own" it. It is on the blockchain and thus preserved as "original" and cannot be copied or altered. And then it somehow has value and can be sold for much higher. I'm told that they only go up in value.

My opinion: This is getting ridiculous. Won't be long before a rock I find on my next walk will be worth $15,000

That's about as much as I understand myself. That, it's like a highlight video, or a gif, that the owner (athlete, poker player, etc) can sell & it can then be resold.

I still don't get it though, lol. Do people buy NFT's as memorabilia? i.e. I'm a Tom Brady fan, so I want an NFT of him throwing a TD? Or is it an investment tool? i.e. I'll buy this because I know there's a market for Tom Brady NFT's & I can flip it for profit? Can the producer create incredibly similar NFT's (perhaps one frame apart), so while your's in unique, it's almost identical to many others? Does the NFT have a set price, or it it more like an auction? How does one get first access to buy a potentially valuable NFT? Lot's of stuff I still don't understand. In fact the only things I do understand are that NFT's are red hot right now, and that I want to be in the NFT business.

MplsGopher

Banned
Reaction score
That's about as much as I understand myself. That, it's like a highlight video, or a gif, that the owner (athlete, poker player, etc) can sell & it can then be resold.

I still don't get it though, lol. Do people buy NFT's as memorabilia? i.e. I'm a Tom Brady fan, so I want an NFT of him throwing a TD? Or is it an investment tool? i.e. I'll buy this because I know there's a market for Tom Brady NFT's & I can flip it for profit? Can the producer create incredibly similar NFT's (perhaps one frame apart), so while your's in unique, it's almost identical to many others? Does the NFT have a set price, or it it more like an auction? How does one get first access to buy a potentially valuable NFT? Lot's of stuff I still don't understand. In fact the only things I do understand are that NFT's are red hot right now, and that I want to be in the NFT business.
Like all speculation.

You only ever buy it because you plan to sell it in the future, for more money.

The thing itself brings limited utility and/or joy.

Top Bottom