Biden's China strategy

MplsGopher

Reaction score
How Biden will confront China

The presidents who came just before Donald Trump took a mostly hopeful view of China. Barack Obama, Bill Clinton and the two George Bushes all tried to integrate China into the global economy and political system. Doing so, they believed, could persuade China to accept international rules and become more democratic.

The strategy largely failed.

China used access to the world’s markets to grow richer on its own terms. It rejected many international rules — on intellectual property, for example — while becoming more authoritarian at home. As a recent Times story puts it, China has adopted “increasingly aggressive and at times punitive policies that force countries to play by its rules.”

Trump is not a close student of international affairs, but he evidently grasped China’s ambitions in ways that his predecessors did not. He treated it as what it almost certainly is: America’s most serious threat since the Soviet Union.

Trump’s China policy had a different weakness, in the eyes of many experts and foreign diplomats. He antagonized allies who are also worried about China’s rise, rather than building a coalition with Japan, Europe, Australia and others. As Keyu Jin, a Chinese economist at the London School of Economics, has written, Trump has been “a strategic gift” for China.

Soon, it will be Joe Biden’s turn — to see if he can manage China more effectively than other recent presidents have. (Yesterday, Biden introduced his foreign-policy team.)

His administration is likely to take a different approach to China than it does on many other issues. On those others, like climate change and health care, Biden will be trying to reverse Trump’s policies. On China, Biden instead seems set to accept Trump’s basic diagnosis but to strive for a more effective treatment. The Biden team’s critique of the current China policy is about “means more than ends,” Walter Russell Mead wrote in an op-ed in The Wall Street Journal.

Biden and his aides have signaled that they will not return to the wishful pre-Trump policy toward China (even though several of them helped shape that policy in the Obama administration). “The United States does need to get tough with China,” Biden wrote in Foreign Affairs magazine in January.

To do so, they will use diplomacy. Antony Blinken, Biden’s choice for secretary of state, said this summer: “We are in a competition with China … We need to rally our allies and partners instead of alienating them to deal with some of the challenges that China poses.” Jake Sullivan, the incoming national security adviser, has written (along with the historian Hal Brands) that the way to check China’s display of a “superpower’s ambition” and maintain U.S. influence is to end “the current trajectory of self-sabotage.”

Biden, speaking about his new appointees yesterday, said, “They embody my core beliefs that America is strongest when it works with its allies.”

In concrete terms, this could mean forging more agreements on restricting the use of Chinese technology, like Huawei. It could mean creating economic alliances that invest in developing countries only if they agree to respect intellectual property and human rights — and trying to isolate China in the process.

The larger goal will be making other countries believe that the U.S. is no longer going it alone. “The narrative in Asia,” Michael Green of the Center for Strategic and International Studies, told me, “is that America is out of the game.”

Wally

Reaction score
Here is Trump winning on China, it should be US headlining this, not China😡

CHINA, JAPAN, AUSTRALIA, 12 OTHER NATIONS SIGN WORLD'S LARGEST FREE TRADE AGREEMENT
The United States is not involved.

GoodasGold

Reaction score
There’s some more $$$ for the farmers.

Plausible Deniability

Coffee is for closers
Reaction score
Biden on China? This thread should read like a Comedy Central bit. I think anyone younger than 35 may want to start brushing up on their Mandarin. For all the Trump haters on the entire planet, there is NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY that is more excited about a Biden administration than the CCP, Chinese Communist Party.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Biden on China? This thread should read like a Comedy Central bit. I think anyone younger than 35 may want to start brushing up on their Mandarin. For all the Trump haters on the entire planet, there is NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY that is more excited about a Biden administration than the CCP, Chinese Communist Party.
Biden and his aides have signaled that they will not return to the wishful pre-Trump policy toward China (even though several of them helped shape that policy in the Obama administration). “The United States does need to get tough with China,” Biden wrote in Foreign Affairs magazine in January.

stocker08

Reaction score
He should get into a trade war with them. One that does nothing but hurt America. And he shouldn't never negotiate because he needs to have the biggest, orangest ego.

Wally

Reaction score

Because the US isolating itself while the rest of the world does trade deals with China is helping us? Make no mistake, Trump is making China stronger by not taking a leadership role in world affairs. China is laughing their asses off at our incompetence.

Go4Broke

Reaction score
China is winning the global economic recovery

The world's second largest economy was the only major world power to avoid a recession this year as Covid-19 forced lockdowns and crippled businesses.
China's GDP is expected to grow 1.6% this year, while the global economy as a whole will contract 5.2%, according to summer projections from the World Bank.

China built its relatively quick recovery through several measures, including stringent lockdown and population tracking policies intended to contain the virus. The government also set aside hundreds of billions of dollars for major infrastructure projects, and offered cash incentives to stimulate spending among its populace. The payoff has been evident, as tourism and spending rebounded during last week's busy Golden Week holiday period.

By the end of the year, China's share of global GDP is likely to rise by about 1.1 percentage points, according to a CNN Business calculation using World Bank data. That's more than triple the share it gained in 2019. By contrast, the United States and Europe will see their shares dip slightly.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/10/economy/china-global-economy-intl-hnk/index.html

China is winning the war for global tech dominance

When the United Kingdom announced in July that it no longer would allow the Chinese technology firm Huawei to be part of its 5G telecommunications network, it was considered to be a success for the Trump administration’s lobbying of its closest ally.

Unfortunately for those hawkish on Huawei, the vast majority of the world remains open to using the company’s technology. Huawei has a presence in more than 170 countries, including dozens in Europe, and even Canada has yet to be persuaded to block the Chinese Communist Party-linked company.

This is a reflection of the reality that America finds itself in today — namely, that China appears to be winning the war to build the world’s technology infrastructure.

https://thehill.com/opinion/technology/518773-china-is-winning-the-war-for-global-tech-dominance

More pain than gain: How the US-China trade war hurt America

A September 2019 study by Moody’s Analytics found that the trade war had already cost the U.S. economy nearly 300,000 jobs and an estimated 0.3% of real GDP. Other studies put the cost to U.S. GDP at about 0.7%. A 2019 report from Bloomberg Economics estimated that the trade war would cost the U.S. economy $316 billion by the end of 2020, while more recent research from the Federal Reserve Bank of New York and Columbia University found that U.S. companies lost at least $1.7 trillion in the price of their stocks as a result of U.S. tariffs imposed on imports from China.

Numerous studies have found that U.S. companies primarily paid for U.S. tariffs, with the cost estimated at nearly $46 billion. The tariffs forced American companies to accept lower profit margins, cut wages and jobs for U.S. workers, defer potential wage hikes or expansions, and raise prices for American consumers or companies. A spokesperson for the American Farm Bureau stated that “farmers have lost the vast majority of what was once a $24 billion market in China” as a result of Chinese retaliatory actions.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/orde...gain-how-the-us-china-trade-war-hurt-america/

Last edited:

Wally

Reaction score
China is winning the global economic recovery

The world's second largest economy was the only major world power to avoid a recession this year as Covid-19 forced lockdowns and crippled businesses.
China's GDP is expected to grow 1.6% this year, while the global economy as a whole will contract 5.2%, according to summer projections from the World Bank.

China built its relatively quick recovery through several measures, including stringent lockdown and population tracking policies intended to contain the virus. The government also set aside hundreds of billions of dollars for major infrastructure projects, and offered cash incentives to stimulate spending among its populace. The payoff has been evident, as tourism and spending rebounded during last week's busy Golden Week holiday period.

By the end of the year, China's share of global GDP is likely to rise by about 1.1 percentage points, according to a CNN Business calculation using World Bank data. That's more than triple the share it gained in 2019. By contrast, the United States and Europe will see their shares dip slightly.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/10/economy/china-global-economy-intl-hnk/index.html

China is winning the war for global tech dominance

When the United Kingdom announced in July that it no longer would allow the Chinese technology firm Huawei to be part of its 5G telecommunications network, it was considered to be a success for the Trump administration’s lobbying of its closest ally. Other countries such as Australia and Japan also have effectively banned the company, echoing Washington’s fears of a potential national security threat.

Unfortunately for those hawkish on Huawei, the vast majority of the world remains open to using the company’s technology. Huawei has a presence in more than 170 countries, including dozens in Europe, and even Canada has yet to be persuaded to block the Chinese Communist Party-linked company.
This is a reflection of the reality that America finds itself in today — namely, that China appears to be winning the war to build the world’s technology infrastructure.

https://thehill.com/opinion/technology/518773-china-is-winning-the-war-for-global-tech-dominance

More pain than gain: How the US-China trade war hurt America

A September 2019 study by Moody’s Analytics found that the trade war had already cost the U.S. economy nearly 300,000 jobs and an estimated 0.3% of real GDP. Other studies put the cost to U.S. GDP at about 0.7%. A 2019 report from Bloomberg Economics estimated that the trade war would cost the U.S. economy $316 billion by the end of 2020, while more recent research from the Federal Reserve Bank of New York and Columbia University found that U.S. companies lost at least $1.7 trillion in the price of their stocks as a result of U.S. tariffs imposed on imports from China.

Numerous studies have found that U.S. companies primarily paid for U.S. tariffs, with the cost estimated at nearly $46 billion. The tariffs forced American companies to accept lower profit margins, cut wages and jobs for U.S. workers, defer potential wage hikes or expansions, and raise prices for American consumers or companies. A spokesperson for the American Farm Bureau stated that “farmers have lost the vast majority of what was once a $24 billion market in China” as a result of Chinese retaliatory actions.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/orde...gain-how-the-us-china-trade-war-hurt-america/

So much winning, Trump was right, I am sick of it.

Blizzard

Reaction score
Perhaps we could keep in mind that 'Biden' has no strategy of his own. Biden's people will let him know what they're doing and then he'll mumble a few words of support.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
That was really the big win with Biden. He'll hire people who actually run the country, and they'll be sane and good at their jobs. Like the people who ran the country for Obama.

Biden himself isn't particularly inspiring ... and that doesn't matter even a single iota.

Plausible Deniability

Coffee is for closers
Reaction score
Biden himself isn't particularly inspiring ... and that doesn't matter even a single iota.
Congratulations on truthfully describing today's Dem party, and the man that could be leader of the free world. I took you off Ignore for 10 minutes to read a few things and this is what I get, the opportunity to be immediately reminded why you and wonderkind like Minnesota, USAF, WhoFellDown, et al prove time and again to be worthy of the Ignore feature.

You folks are truly ALL "winners" today. Soak yourselves in the glory that could be a Biden admin

MplsGopher

Reaction score
You and the Trumpsters are what you are: you care only about the top guy saying crappy things that you want to hear. You don't care how the country is actually run.

Wally

Reaction score
Trump focused on Trade deficit, hmmm hows that working out?

China trade surplus hits record $75B as Nov exports soar

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
The key to beating China is having strong global allies and agreements to contain China.

We need the E.U. to be hand-in-hand with us against China. We've got to get the Asian island countries and Australia hand-in-hand with us.

Europe will help us fend off China in Africa. They can exert a lot of pressure on Africa that we cannot.

The Asian islands can help contain the spread and maintain favorable trade rules toward us.

The Trump sheep are too phucking lost up Trump's @ss to see how Trump's isolationism empowered China.

Trump was a know-nothing. We dumped him in time to save the day, if we're smart enough in the next 2-3 years.

Minnesota

Reaction score
Congratulations on truthfully describing today's Dem party, and the man that could be leader of the free world. I took you off Ignore for 10 minutes to read a few things and this is what I get, the opportunity to be immediately reminded why you and wonderkind like Minnesota, USAF, WhoFellDown, et al prove time and again to be worthy of the Ignore feature.

You folks are truly ALL "winners" today. Soak yourselves in the glory that could be a Biden admin

You have me on ignore because I’ve humiliated you several times. Loser shit.

WhoFellDownTheGopherHole?

Reaction score

You can't even imagine how much glory i'm soaking in.

..i could send photos? :p

justthefacts

Reaction score

justthefacts

Reaction score
A leader who understands how the world works.
What's weird is that I was told constantly in 2020 about how bad Biden would be on China and how this was a key factor in the campaign. And yet no one wants to talk about it now. Curiouser and curiouser.

Wally

Reaction score
What's weird is that I was told constantly in 2020 about how bad Biden would be on China and how this was a key factor in the campaign. And yet no one wants to talk about it now. Curiouser and curiouser.

They avoid anything that might shatter their fragile egos. Typical of small minded people.

I welcome any and all information, prove me wrong, I welcome it and will change my mind on anything given proof.

golf

Reaction score
Well, in 2019 biden did say china is not an economic threat and is not competition for america, so there is that.

That said i am pleased that so far the administration seems to be not backing down regarding china. Possibly not a more important issue to get right (pun intended).

Now if only The Migrant President would not live up to his nickname regarding the southern border ....

Last edited:

Zeus

Reaction score
How Biden will confront China

The presidents who came just before Donald Trump took a mostly hopeful view of China. Barack Obama, Bill Clinton and the two George Bushes all tried to integrate China into the global economy and political system. Doing so, they believed, could persuade China to accept international rules and become more democratic.

The strategy largely failed.

China used access to the world’s markets to grow richer on its own terms. It rejected many international rules — on intellectual property, for example — while becoming more authoritarian at home. As a recent Times story puts it, China has adopted “increasingly aggressive and at times punitive policies that force countries to play by its rules.”

Trump is not a close student of international affairs, but he evidently grasped China’s ambitions in ways that his predecessors did not. He treated it as what it almost certainly is: America’s most serious threat since the Soviet Union.

Trump’s China policy had a different weakness, in the eyes of many experts and foreign diplomats. He antagonized allies who are also worried about China’s rise, rather than building a coalition with Japan, Europe, Australia and others. As Keyu Jin, a Chinese economist at the London School of Economics, has written, Trump has been “a strategic gift” for China.

Soon, it will be Joe Biden’s turn — to see if he can manage China more effectively than other recent presidents have. (Yesterday, Biden introduced his foreign-policy team.)

His administration is likely to take a different approach to China than it does on many other issues. On those others, like climate change and health care, Biden will be trying to reverse Trump’s policies. On China, Biden instead seems set to accept Trump’s basic diagnosis but to strive for a more effective treatment. The Biden team’s critique of the current China policy is about “means more than ends,” Walter Russell Mead wrote in an op-ed in The Wall Street Journal.

To do so, they will use diplomacy. Antony Blinken, Biden’s choice for secretary of state, said this summer: “We are in a competition with China … We need to rally our allies and partners instead of alienating them to deal with some of the challenges that China poses.” Jake Sullivan, the incoming national security adviser, has written (along with the historian Hal Brands) that the way to check China’s display of a “superpower’s ambition” and maintain U.S. influence is to end “the current trajectory of self-sabotage.”

Biden, speaking about his new appointees yesterday, said, “They embody my core beliefs that America is strongest when it works with its allies.”

In concrete terms, this could mean forging more agreements on restricting the use of Chinese technology, like Huawei. It could mean creating economic alliances that invest in developing countries only if they agree to respect intellectual property and human rights — and trying to isolate China in the process.

The larger goal will be making other countries believe that the U.S. is no longer going it alone. “The narrative in Asia,” Michael Green of the Center for Strategic and International Studies, told me, “is that America is out of the game.”
Biden is so senile that he can not walk. Such people do not make use of any sort of strategies

Go4Broke

Reaction score

Biden in Today's Press Conference: Bracing for Competition With China​

Biden said he’s not looking for a confrontation with China but is prepared to engage in “steep, steep competition” with the country. Biden added that fair competition will require the U.S. holding China accountable for its actions.“W e'll have strong competition but will insist that China play by the international rules – fair competition, fair practices, fair trade,” he said.

To keep pace, Biden vowed to invest in American workers, medical research and “industries of the future” such as artificial intelligence, quantum computing and biotechnology.
“China is out-investing us by a long shot because their plan is to own that future,” he said.

Biden also said the United States cannot turn a blind eye to China’s human rights violations. He said he told Chinese President Xi Jinping, “As long as you and your country continue to so blatantly violate human rights, we are going to continue in an unrelenting way to call to the attention of the world and make it clear what's happening.”

“The moment a president walks away from that, as the last one did, is the moment we begin to lose our legitimacy around the world,” Biden said, taking a shot at Trump. Biden said Xi is very smart and straightforward but that he “doesn't have a democratic, with a small "D," bone in his body.” He also said the Chinese president was like Russian President Vladimir Putin in that he “thinks that autocracy is the wave of the future [and] democracy can't function in an ever-complex world.”

https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/news/2021/03/25/biden-press-conference

MplsGopher

Reaction score
https://www.startribune.com/in-alaska-a-cold-start-to-biden-era-china-relations/600039158/

Blinken's bluntness reflects a relative rarity in American society and politics: consensus. In fact, reckoning with a rising China has mostly bipartisan support in the Capitol and the country, as evidenced by a new Pew Research Center poll headlined "Most Americans Support Tough Stance Toward China on Human Rights, Economic Issues." Among the many metrics mirroring the chill in Anchorage is this stat: "89% consider China a competitor or enemy, rather than a partner."

And yet, unlike the East-West, capitalism-communism, U.S.-U.S.S.R. binary dynamics during the Cold War, the relationship is interdependent, Hass said during a Brookings Institution event this week.

"What happened in Alaska is a sign of the new normal that we live in; a lot of the tussling that previously has taken place behind closed doors in the past has now just burst into the open," Hass said. But, he added, "the reality is that both sides threw a few punches in front of the press and then they got down to work when the press left the room. And we saw over the course of eight-plus hours of exchange between them that they rolled up their sleeves and dealt with some serious issues that are affecting both the United States and China."

Hass, who examines the complex Sino-American relationship in the just-published book "Stronger: Adapting America's China Strategy in an Age of Competitive Interdependence," added that the relationship is "sharply competitive in many areas." And yet, he said, "There is an interdependence between the United States and China. What happens in Iran affects both of us. What happens in Afghanistan impacts both of us. What happens in global markets affects both of us. So, we don't necessarily need to be brought together by amity or goodwill. Our interests are going to intersect; we're going to have to find ways to deal with each other. And those two twin dynamics were very much on display in Alaska."

Biden's top presidential priorities like climate change, Iran and North Korea can't be addressed without China. And yet an even more profound presidential emphasis, promoting democracy, seemed to be his focus Thursday during his first news conference as president. "Look," Biden said, "I predict to you — your children or grandchildren are going to be doing their doctoral thesis on the issue of who succeeded: autocracy or democracy? Because that is what is at stake, not just with China."

Top Bottom