Biden Plans Dozens of Executive Orders

MennoSota

Reaction score
Joe Biden is planning to sign dozens of executive orders in his first days in office, as he aims to roll back some of President Donald Trump’s signature policies on immigration and climate change while taking early action to address the coronavirus crisis.

After being sworn in on Wednesday, Biden will rescind the travel ban on several majority-Muslim countries, rejoin the Paris climate accords, extend limits on student loan payments and evictions instituted during the pandemic and issue a mask mandate on federal properties and for interstate travel. Incoming White House Chief of Staff Ron Klain outlined the flurry of activity for Biden’s first 10 days in office in a memo to senior staff on Saturday.

“These actions will change the course of COVID-19, combat climate change, promote racial equity and support other underserved communities, and rebuild our economy in ways that strengthen the backbone of this country: the working men and women who built our nation,” Klain wrote in the memo. “While the policy objectives in these executive actions are bold, I want to be clear: the legal theory behind them is well-founded and represents a restoration of an appropriate, constitutional role for the President."

On Biden’s second day in office, he will sign executive actions focused on addressing the Covid-19 pandemic, including ways to help schools and business reopen safely, expand testing, protect workers and establish clearer public health standards. The next day, Biden will direct his Cabinet to work on delivering economic relief to families most affected by the crisis.

In subsequent days, Biden will expand “Buy America provisions,” take action to advance “equity and support communities of color,” begin to reform the criminal justice, expand access to healthcare and work toward reuniting families separated at the border. Klain did not specify what these actions would entail, but the memo follows Biden’s introduction this week of his legislative agenda, which includes a $1.9 trillion relief bill.

Klain conceded much of Biden’s agenda would need the support of Congress, a prospect that improved after Democrats took control of the Senate earlier this month. But any action in Congress is likely to be delayed as the Senate is slated to begin Trump’s second impeachment trial shortly after Biden takes office.

The memo did not include, however, rejoining the World Health Organization — something Biden had previously promised he would do on his first day in office as part of his goal of reengaging with the global community on Covid-19 and other health threats.

Trump withdrew the U.S. from the global health body last year and withheld tens of millions in U.S. funding. Once he enters the White House, Biden can write to the U.N. Secretary General Antonio Guterres directing him to ignore Trump's actions. But what kind of relationship the U.S. has with WHO under Biden remains to be seen, particularly when it comes to funding the distribution of Covid-19 vaccines to struggling countries.

The transition declined to respond to questions about whether Biden would keep his promise to immediately rejoin WHO and restore U.S. funding to the organization

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Not rejoining the WHO immediately, I doubt would be overlooked.

So if it doesn't happen, there must be a good reason.

And if so, it would be an easy "point to score" with former Trump supports to say something like "President Trump did get some things right. For example, with the WHO, I have come to learn some new information that I wasn't privy to back in June, and this information gives me concern. Therefore, I am ....."

stocker08

Reaction score
Good, I want experts planning things. Beats appointing cabinet members who don't even know what their department does.

Experts? No. Keep Mike Pence as corona czar.

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
Good thing we got rid of the dictator!
There will be a need to monitor these people. This isn't anything new. It's called investigating criminal activity.

We'll need to infiltrate these groups, arrest them, and end the militia, white power, and Boogaloo threat.

You can do that with existing laws. No need for new, big brother type laws. That's what we need to be on the eye for.

Right now, there's no concern.

Section2

Reaction score
There will be a need to monitor these people. This isn't anything new. It's called investigating criminal activity.

We'll need to infiltrate these groups, arrest them, and end the militia, white power, and Boogaloo threat.

You can do that with existing laws. No need for new, big brother type laws. That's what we need to be on the eye for.

Right now, there's no concern.
Gotcha. We will need to be vigilant against the Boogaloos. They are a clear threat to BLM and antifa, which must be protected.

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score
I hear he is going to block the Keystone pipeline again. I guess I don’t understand that as the oil will still be shipped using rail cars and an old pipeline which I assume would do more damage to the environment than a new pipeline. Plus it makes the US more dependent on foreign oil as the oil being produced in Alberta will be piped to the gulf of Louisiana for refinement and then I assume could be used in America. I get that the oils once refined and used will pollute the earth, but last I checked we need oil and all this seems to do is make it more expensive and worse for the environment than if the XL pipeline was simply approved and built.

Spoofin

Reaction score
I hear he is going to block the Keystone pipeline again. I guess I don’t understand that as the oil will still be shipped using rail cars and an old pipeline which I assume would do more damage to the environment than a new pipeline. Plus it makes the US more dependent on foreign oil as the oil being produced in Alberta will be piped to the gulf of Louisiana for refinement and then I assume could be used in America. I get that the oils once refined and used will pollute the earth, but last I checked we need oil and all this seems to do is make it more expensive and worse for the environment than if the XL pipeline was simply approved and built.
But by blocking it he can put US workers out of a job while increasing our dependence on foreign energy and raising gas prices for all. Make sense now?

John Galt

Reaction score
We need to monitor Antifa too! As soon as some of the Trumpsters can point them out!
Speaking of Antifa...

Portland Protesters Smash Windows of Local Democratic Party Headquarters - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Antifa protesters in Portland clashed with authorities Wednesday as they gathered to voice dissatisfaction with President Joe Biden, forcing officers to retreat and taking at least one police bicycle, authorities said.

The Portland Police Bureau said several events were planned in the city just hours after Biden was sworn in and implored the nation to come together. A crowd of up to 150 people gathered at Revolution Hall around 2 p.m. and marched to the headquarters of the Democratic Party of Oregon, Portland police Sgt. Kevin Allen said.

The so-called J20 protest was a demonstration against Biden and law enforcement.

Some in the group smashed windows and vandalized the building with graffiti. Calls and messages to the party headquarters were not immediately returned.

WARNING: GRAPHIC LANGUAGE

When the group left the area and marched to a nearby park, police officers made "targeted arrests" in connection to the damage at the Democratic headquarters. The group later dispersed.

In total, eight adults were arrested for crimes ranging from rioting and possession of a destructive device to reckless burning.

At one point when officers on bicycles entered the crowd to tell someone to remove metal poles affixed to a banner that could be used as a weapon, they were swarmed and pelted with objects, Allen said.

Andy Ngô on Twitter: "Portland: Watch shocking footage of #antifa smashing up the Democratic Party of Oregon headquarters. They bring weapons while their comrades use umbrellas to block surveillance video. Video by @Julio_Rosas11. #PortlandRiots https://t.co/KdNNRgIEV0" / Twitter

Other video clips show people holding banners that read: "We are ungovernable" and "We don't want Biden - We want revenge!" for "Police Murders," "Imperialist Wars" and "Fascist Massacres." Marchers called for an end to the sweeping of homeless encampments and advocated for other social justice causes.

National Guard troops were not present at the gatherings.

justthefacts

Reaction score
But by blocking it he can put US workers out of a job while increasing our dependence on foreign energy and raising gas prices for all. Make sense now?

What exactly is it that you think the Keystone pipeline does?

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Speaking of Antifa...

Portland Protesters Smash Windows of Local Democratic Party Headquarters - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Antifa protesters in Portland clashed with authorities Wednesday as they gathered to voice dissatisfaction with President Joe Biden, forcing officers to retreat and taking at least one police bicycle, authorities said.

The Portland Police Bureau said several events were planned in the city just hours after Biden was sworn in and implored the nation to come together. A crowd of up to 150 people gathered at Revolution Hall around 2 p.m. and marched to the headquarters of the Democratic Party of Oregon, Portland police Sgt. Kevin Allen said.

The so-called J20 protest was a demonstration against Biden and law enforcement.

Some in the group smashed windows and vandalized the building with graffiti. Calls and messages to the party headquarters were not immediately returned.

WARNING: GRAPHIC LANGUAGE

When the group left the area and marched to a nearby park, police officers made "targeted arrests" in connection to the damage at the Democratic headquarters. The group later dispersed.

In total, eight adults were arrested for crimes ranging from rioting and possession of a destructive device to reckless burning.

At one point when officers on bicycles entered the crowd to tell someone to remove metal poles affixed to a banner that could be used as a weapon, they were swarmed and pelted with objects, Allen said.

Andy Ngô on Twitter: "Portland: Watch shocking footage of #antifa smashing up the Democratic Party of Oregon headquarters. They bring weapons while their comrades use umbrellas to block surveillance video. Video by @Julio_Rosas11. #PortlandRiots https://t.co/KdNNRgIEV0" / Twitter

Other video clips show people holding banners that read: "We are ungovernable" and "We don't want Biden - We want revenge!" for "Police Murders," "Imperialist Wars" and "Fascist Massacres." Marchers called for an end to the sweeping of homeless encampments and advocated for other social justice causes.

National Guard troops were not present at the gatherings.
Everything I've seen pointed to as examples of existence of "antifa", points to incidents that happen in Portland.

Portland is not the nation.

gopheraschells

Reaction score

So it is bad, but we need it so we should just keep heading toward the cliff? There are other energy technologies we can develop. Believe it or not, there are plenty of jobs to be created in renewable energy.

It is almost as if culture in this country has chosen to try and freeze itself in 1980. America used to be all about innovation and pushing forward. Now it is just too much of a hassle. Good grief.

Top Bottom