BGA will love this one....

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
So, the County Board of Commissioners in Citrus County, Florida voted to deny a request by the Citrus County Library system. The library system wanted to purchase a digital subscription for the New York Times.

the kicker - one of the County board members who voted against the request was quoted as saying the New York Times was......wait for it....."fake news."

The American Library Association (ALA) issued a statement in response to the decision. An excerpt from the statement:

“Public libraries are government agencies subject to the First Amendment. Rejecting or censoring a publication based upon its political viewpoint represents both content and viewpoint discrimination that is contrary to the spirit of the First Amendment’s promise of freedom of speech and freedom of belief. Our constitution and Bill of Rights promises every person the right and equal opportunity to discover, develop, and defend her own political, social, and religious beliefs. A government official’s decision to prevent access to a particular publication based on partisan disapproval of that publication denies this right. We stand by our Freedom to Read Statement: we believe that democratic societies are more safe, free, and creative when the free flow of public information is not restricted by governmental prerogative.

My question - how would anyone respond if the County Board had denied a request to subscribe to the Washington Examiner on the grounds that it was a conservative publication?

bga1

Reaction score
So, the County Board of Commissioners in Citrus County, Florida voted to deny a request by the Citrus County Library system. The library system wanted to purchase a digital subscription for the New York Times.

the kicker - one of the County board members who voted against the request was quoted as saying the New York Times was......wait for it....."fake news."

The American Library Association (ALA) issued a statement in response to the decision. An excerpt from the statement:

“Public libraries are government agencies subject to the First Amendment. Rejecting or censoring a publication based upon its political viewpoint represents both content and viewpoint discrimination that is contrary to the spirit of the First Amendment’s promise of freedom of speech and freedom of belief. Our constitution and Bill of Rights promises every person the right and equal opportunity to discover, develop, and defend her own political, social, and religious beliefs. A government official’s decision to prevent access to a particular publication based on partisan disapproval of that publication denies this right. We stand by our Freedom to Read Statement: we believe that democratic societies are more safe, free, and creative when the free flow of public information is not restricted by governmental prerogative.

My question - how would anyone respond if the County Board had denied a request to subscribe to the Washington Examiner on the grounds that it was a conservative publication?
My question: Does the Citrus County Library have a digital subscription to the Examiner? If they do, then they should have one to the NYT as well. Play it down the middle. The NYT is OFTEN - Fake News. That's a shame. But I don't have any interest in stopping people from reading it.

Your post is projection. We on the right don't think in terms of stopping free speech like those of you on the left (see Jeff Session at NW yesterday). I am interested in hearing both sides. I have to hear your side- it is everywhere in the MSM , almost unavoidable. The counterpoint has to be sought out

Last edited:
Top Bottom