Axe is Back Beer

GopherJack

Reaction score
Hey, I'm on Untappd too! The next time I'm in the Twin Cities I'll have to head out to Wicked Wort and have a pint in honor of the axe.

Vandy

Reaction score
I have been to Wicked Wort a number of times and will be in Robbinsdale tomorrow evening... I'm going to give this brew a taste.

tikited

Me
Reaction score
I have been to Wicked Wort a number of times and will be in Robbinsdale tomorrow evening... I'm going to give this brew a taste.
I am going as well tomorrow. Hoping the taste is as good as the win.

Jike Spingleton

Traveling Champ
Reaction score
Definitely will try to add this to my Untappd check-ins when I'm back in town. An imperial brown sounds boozy and delicious and I assume it tastes like sweet victory.

PMWinSTP

Reaction score
It's honoring Larry "The Axe" Henning...

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score
I would assume cans or bottles with pretty art aren't happening?

I'd buy a bunch for home.

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
Best part of Wicked Wort is PAMP across the street.

Gophers_4life

Reaction score
Side comment: how many tap rooms are there now in the metro? 100+ ?

Man, that business just exploded.

Maverick

Reaction score
I have had this beer and it is delicious!

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
How do they all stay operating?
Most of them have become neighborhood bars. And aren't the sole income for the proprietors. Only a few have expanded beyond using mobile canning/bottling lines. Make $4+ per beer

Gophers_4life

Reaction score
Oh I didn't think most of these places did any canning or bottling. Thought the point of a tap room was people came to the beer, not the opposite. And growlers, which are different.

Word

Eats difficult conversations
Reaction score

The bubble will burst eventually. It's cool to have so many around but I doubt it's sustainable. As the craft beer fad wanes, some of the tap rooms will go away.

Gophers_4life

Reaction score
The bubble will burst eventually. It's cool to have so many around but I doubt it's sustainable. As the craft beer fad wanes, some of the tap rooms will go away.
Yeah ... how expensive is it to have and run all that fancy brewing equipment on-site at those places? Seems like it would be better to just have a place for people to come drink your beer, but more of a central/communal brewing location.

Oh wait, I think that's just called a bar.

PMWinSTP

Reaction score

There's about 115 craft breweries in MN total. Metro area, depending how you define it, has probably half of those. To my knowledge, roughly about a half-dozen have closed. The saturation point is probably in the 150 range state-wide, or about 35 more with a majority of those new ones out state.

fmlizard

Reaction score
It's honoring Larry "The Axe" Henning...
You are correct. Though I think in this case it's a bit of a double entendre. They had to have known what they were doing with that name in Minnesota.

tikited

Me
Reaction score
Went last night. Very tasty. I felt like body slamming someone on the table afterwards.

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
For a lot of established beer cities, it isn't called craft beer, just beer. Its not like each of these places is trying to be Surly. Operate a brewery part time, net $20-40k and be happy you have your day job.

Gophers_4life

Reaction score
For a lot of established beer cities, it isn't called craft beer, just beer. Its not like each of these places is trying to be Surly. Operate a brewery part time, net $20-40k and be happy you have your day job.
Managing the operations of brewing the beer (even assuming no attempt at canning/bottling), and managing the operations of the tap room .... can be done as a part-time job by a single person? I'd be surprised, but maybe?

PMWinSTP

Reaction score
Not really sure what your first comment is getting at...that's literally how they define themselves. You are correct that not all are looking to be the next Surly, and many start out having day jobs but in fact become full-time gigs or they hire full-time employees to run the brewery. I personally know quite a few of them here in MN and if your beer is good it will sell, and you will most likely run into production capacity issues.

https://www.mncraftbrew.org/brewery-members/

PMWinSTP

Reaction score
Managing the operations of brewing the beer (even assuming no attempt at canning/bottling), and managing the operations of the tap room .... can be done as a part-time job by a single person? I'd be surprised, but maybe?
No, they can't and aren't.

Top Bottom