Assistant Coaches

ecoperson

Reaction score
What does BJ consider blue bloods ? Even if they were the traditional powers they were likely grad assistants, video coordinators etc.. They were not the top assistants from the top programs. There are a couple thousand assistants and it is likely 200 made contact.
Probably not the top assistants unless they were wrangling for a bump in pay, were about to get fired (or their head coach was and they weren't in line for a promotion), or had connections to Ben or MN previously. Assistants don't leave without a reason. My main point is that it's not up to us fans to tell Ben who to hire. He is the one that will be working with them 24/7.

SanDiegoGopherFan

Reaction score
What does BJ consider blue bloods ? Even if they were the traditional powers they were likely grad assistants, video coordinators etc.. They were not the top assistants from the top programs. There are a couple thousand assistants and it is likely 200 made contact.

Have no clue. Though I'd imagine if he's telling the public during his pressers "blue bloods" he would assume we're not talking about northwestern or st. thomas.

It doesn't matter now though. His staff is set, lets see what happens.

Its football time babyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

builtbadgers

Reaction score
Probably not the top assistants unless they were wrangling for a bump in pay, were about to get fired (or their head coach was and they weren't in line for a promotion), or had connections to Ben or MN previously. Assistants don't leave without a reason. My main point is that it's not up to us fans to tell Ben who to hire. He is the one that will be working with them 24/7.
The top assistants at the elite programs would not leave to be a assistant and are paid far more than we would pay. Ben got his main guy.

SanDiegoGopherFan

Reaction score

That's part of the growing pains we will all go thru with him as a rookie head coach. If you're not going to be bringing assistants from "schools that would surprise us/blue bloods" then just dont say that.

He has a lot to learn and he will from a PR perspective. It will take time.

ecoperson

Reaction score
That's part of the growing pains we will all go thru with him as a rookie head coach. If you're not going to be bringing assistants from "schools that would surprise us/blue bloods" then just dont say that.

He has a lot to learn and he will from a PR perspective. It will take time.
He didn't lie. Did you really expect him to poach someone from a blue bloods unless they were one of the non-assistant positions? You can't possibly have understood him to mean that he would hire his assistants solely from blue bloods. You, of all people, who feel that he was a horrible hire and will not succeed? How could he possibly do anything like that... as an assistant from 'mediocre programs?'

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
here's a crazy idea - how about we judge the hire based on..........results.

The Gophers have not played a game yet under the new staff. The roster for next year isn't even set.

And yet some people seem to be predicting (or hoping) that the season will be a disaster, because apparently that would justify their belief that Johnson was a bad hire.

Look - if midway through the season, the team stinks, I will say they stink. I'm just not going to say they stink until I actually get to see them play.

goldenboy

Reaction score
here's a crazy idea - how about we judge the hire based on..........results.

The Gophers have not played a game yet under the new staff. The roster for next year isn't even set.

And yet some people seem to be predicting (or hoping) that the season will be a disaster, because apparently that would justify their belief that Johnson was a bad hire.

Look - if midway through the season, the team stinks, I will say they stink. I'm just not going to say they stink until I actually get to see them play.
And there would be some that would extend your logic to say you hadn’t waited long enough to say they stink when you do. I can find the absurdity in all of the Ben-bashing, but it’s just as absurd to claim people aren’t real fans or only want the team to fail because they didn’t approve of the coach. It’s a message board for fans to share their opinions. Some you will agree with and some you won’t. We all want the team to succeed. That doesn’t mean you can’t be worried about our AD rolling the dice on an inexperienced hire when we just went through years of unrealized hope with another inexperienced coach. I want Ben to succeed. It’s possible. I just think the odds are against him.

MNVCGUY

Reaction score
And there would be some that would extend your logic to say you hadn’t waited long enough to say they stink when you do. I can find the absurdity in all of the Ben-bashing, but it’s just as absurd to claim people aren’t real fans or only want the team to fail because they didn’t approve of the coach. It’s a message board for fans to share their opinions. Some you will agree with and some you won’t. We all want the team to succeed. That doesn’t mean you can’t be worried about our AD rolling the dice on an inexperienced hire when we just went through years of unrealized hope with another inexperienced coach. I want Ben to succeed. It’s possible. I just think the odds are against him.
The downside to message boards or forums like this is that most of the people are on roughly the same page and then it is the super vocal minority voices on the fringes that get all the attention and tend to dominate the conversations.

I would be willing to bet that the majority of people on this board have some doubts/concerns about the hire but are also willing to let things play out to see what happens before making any declarations one way or another about the hire.

It just gets tough sometimes to ignore the small handful of fortune tellers who already know how this is going to turn out and have decided that Ben is going to fail.

Different situations, but when Fleck was hired there was a VERY vocal group that hated everything about him and bristled at every single word out of his mouth. There are still some of those people around but there are only a few of them left at this point.

Top Bottom