All Things Trump /GOP Coup

howeda7

Reaction score
:rolleyes:
The view from NW PA
Maria, a regular "Reliable Sources" viewer, emailed me after Sunday's show to say this: "In my Northwestern Pennsylvania Trump town, it is as if the insurrection did not happen, Trump won the election, Trump was the most successful POTUS ever, and Dems are going to take their freedoms away. Moreover, it was ANTIFA, not MAGA that caused the violence, the insurrection. THERE IS ZERO TALK OF THE INSURRECTION OR THE PANDEMIC and much praise for Trump." This is anecdotal, of course, but it's exactly what I see on right-wing radio and TV...

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
WASHINGTON — The Justice Department watchdog announced Monday that he had opened an investigation into whether any of the department’s officials tried to undo the results of the presidential election, as scrutiny of former President Donald J. Trump and his associates builds ahead of his impeachment trial.
The investigation by the department’s inspector general, Michael E. Horowitz, followed efforts by Mr. Trump and a top federal law enforcement official, Jeffrey Clark, to push other Justice Department leaders to falsely assert that continuing fraud investigations cast doubt on the election results. As detailed by The New York Times in recent days, Mr. Trump was said to have considered installing Mr. Clark as acting attorney general to carry out the scheme.
“The inspector general is initiating an investigation into whether any former or current D.O.J. official engaged in an improper attempt to have D.O.J. seek to alter the outcome of the 2020 presidential election,” Mr. Horowitz said in a statement, adding that he was announcing the inquiry to reassure the public that the matter was being examined.
The inquiry adds to the increasing scrutiny on Mr. Trump’s attempts to wield the power of the Justice Department to advance his false claims about the election in the final weeks of his presidency. It follows another inspector general investigation into whether a federal prosecutor in Georgia was improperly pushed to help and a broader Democratic-led Senate inquiry into pressure on the department to aid Mr. Trump’s cause.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/25/...voter-fraud.html?referringSource=articleShare

Mr. Trump sought repeatedly to compel the Justice Department to back his baseless claims of election irregularities, ultimately prompting the attorney general at the time, William P. Barr, to publicly state early last month that the department had found no voting fraud on a scale that would affect the election results. Mr. Barr fell out of favor with Mr. Trump over the issue and left his postwithin weeks.
A Justice Department spokesman declined to comment.
The investigation underscores fears among Senate Republicans, including Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, the minority leader, that if they do not distance themselves from Mr. Trump and undo his grip on the party, a steady drip of negative revelations paired with his own erratic behavior could damage their political fortunes.
“If Trump loses credibility because it appears he’s acted in a way that no one can justify, the leverage that he might have over the Republican Party could be diffused,” said William Marshall, a professor at the University of North Carolina who teaches and writes on presidential power. “The more that indicates he behaved improperly makes it less easy to defend him and less easy to stand by him.”
Senator Chuck Schumer, Democrat of New York and the majority leader, had urged Mr. Horowitz over the weekend to open an investigation, saying that it was “unconscionable that a Trump Justice Department leader would conspire to subvert the people’s will.”
The inspector general also noted that his inquiry would be limited to the Justice Department because other agencies did not fall within his purview, a nod to the array of people who sought during Mr. Trump’s final weeks in office to find a way to stop the certification of Joseph R. Biden Jr.’s victory.

howeda7

Reaction score
WASHINGTON — The Justice Department watchdog announced Monday that he had opened an investigation into whether any of the department’s officials tried to undo the results of the presidential election, as scrutiny of former President Donald J. Trump and his associates builds ahead of his impeachment trial.
The investigation by the department’s inspector general, Michael E. Horowitz, followed efforts by Mr. Trump and a top federal law enforcement official, Jeffrey Clark, to push other Justice Department leaders to falsely assert that continuing fraud investigations cast doubt on the election results. As detailed by The New York Times in recent days, Mr. Trump was said to have considered installing Mr. Clark as acting attorney general to carry out the scheme.
“The inspector general is initiating an investigation into whether any former or current D.O.J. official engaged in an improper attempt to have D.O.J. seek to alter the outcome of the 2020 presidential election,” Mr. Horowitz said in a statement, adding that he was announcing the inquiry to reassure the public that the matter was being examined.
The inquiry adds to the increasing scrutiny on Mr. Trump’s attempts to wield the power of the Justice Department to advance his false claims about the election in the final weeks of his presidency. It follows another inspector general investigation into whether a federal prosecutor in Georgia was improperly pushed to help and a broader Democratic-led Senate inquiry into pressure on the department to aid Mr. Trump’s cause.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/25/...voter-fraud.html?referringSource=articleShare

Mr. Trump sought repeatedly to compel the Justice Department to back his baseless claims of election irregularities, ultimately prompting the attorney general at the time, William P. Barr, to publicly state early last month that the department had found no voting fraud on a scale that would affect the election results. Mr. Barr fell out of favor with Mr. Trump over the issue and left his postwithin weeks.
A Justice Department spokesman declined to comment.
The investigation underscores fears among Senate Republicans, including Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, the minority leader, that if they do not distance themselves from Mr. Trump and undo his grip on the party, a steady drip of negative revelations paired with his own erratic behavior could damage their political fortunes.
“If Trump loses credibility because it appears he’s acted in a way that no one can justify, the leverage that he might have over the Republican Party could be diffused,” said William Marshall, a professor at the University of North Carolina who teaches and writes on presidential power. “The more that indicates he behaved improperly makes it less easy to defend him and less easy to stand by him.”
Senator Chuck Schumer, Democrat of New York and the majority leader, had urged Mr. Horowitz over the weekend to open an investigation, saying that it was “unconscionable that a Trump Justice Department leader would conspire to subvert the people’s will.”
The inspector general also noted that his inquiry would be limited to the Justice Department because other agencies did not fall within his purview, a nod to the array of people who sought during Mr. Trump’s final weeks in office to find a way to stop the certification of Joseph R. Biden Jr.’s victory.
At least we know the Trumpster Fellas will accept Horowtiz's findings as they've previously declared him to be beyond reproach.

howeda7

Reaction score
Just rascals looking to take selfies, eh Fool2?

MplsGopher

Banned
Reaction score
Again, I just have my doubts that there will be any way to prove anything that comes up like this wasn't just about the rally and then a march to a peaceful protest outside the Capitol. That may even be the truth of it, as far as Trump and higher-ups were concerned.

Don't get me wrong, I think when they saw barricades being smashed over and then people breaking in, they thought it was great. But I don't really believe they themselves planned for it to go to that level. I think that part of it was planned by nefarious actors who took over the protest and turned it into something much worse.

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove.

Wally

Reaction score

I have to wonder if he might have felt he could be implicated in somehow allowing it to happen?
Only reason I can think his suicide would have anything to do with that event.

Lots of cops kill themselves, its a perk of being armed 24/7. I can say personally, having the capacity to instantly end my life on my hip could be risky.

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
I have to wonder if he might have felt he could be implicated in somehow allowing it to happen?
Only reason I can think his suicide would have anything to do with that event.

Lots of cops kill themselves, its a perk of being armed 24/7. I can say personally, having the capacity to instantly end my life on my hip could be risky.
Could possibly be some combination of grief or guilt or... One way or another, the experience couldn't have helped.

Spoofin

Reaction score
History repeats itself..... GHers speculating on why they think a complete stranger committed suicide.

Wally

Reaction score
History repeats itself..... GHers speculating on why they think a complete stranger committed suicide.

Well seems very odd that two police officers who were at the Capitol that day have committed suicide since. I think its two anyways.

I bet its Republicans killing their insiders to hide the conspiracy!!!

⬆️ That would be a predictable story from the right wing press if this situation were reversed.

Wally

Reaction score
Poor saps were Vince Foster'd.

Its always the little guy.

Isn't it very strange that two of the cops there committed suicide in three weeks????

I know suicide is contagious and lots of cops commit suicide so that probably explains it. But you never know.

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
Don't minimize how badly certain industries wanted to perpetuate Trump-era non-regulation and the things they'd do to keep him in office.

Top Bottom