All Things Trump Conflicts of Interest Thread

GopherJake

Reaction score
If the trip is state business, and the money was being spent regardless, I don’t see how it’s a conflict of interest.
In that case, we’ll have to mark you down for not understanding what a conflict of interest is.

Section2

Reaction score
In that case, we’ll have to mark you down for not understanding what a conflict of interest is.

The decision to stay at the Trump hotel or stay at the Holiday Express doesn't conflict with official duties in any way.

GopherJake

Reaction score
The decision to stay at the Trump hotel or stay at the Holiday Express doesn't conflict with official duties in any way.
Yes, we have you marked down. You have your own definition. It's wrong, but that doesn't matter to you. It's one of your go-to routes to spat with your adversaries. You are a weakling.

howeda7

Reaction score
Previously we have not allowed a President to profit off of the government in this way. It is a conflict of interest.

And you haven't answered my question: Why should we pay Mar-a-Lago millions for his golf week-ends when he could go to a place the government has already provided?

JimmyJamesMD

Reaction score
Previously we have not allowed a President to profit off of the government in this way. It is a conflict of interest.

And you haven't answered my question: Why should we pay Mar-a-Lago millions for his golf week-ends when he could go to a place the government has already provided?
I agree with this, unless Mar A Lago is giving it away for free.

Even if thats the case, security has to be more costs due to being at an unsecured location

Ewert86PC

Metrodome Era Survivor
Reaction score
Was I the only person who worries about what Defense, National Security secrets and other secrets of significant national importance Trump just brazenly hands Putin every time they meet?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Section2

Reaction score
Yes, we have you marked down. You have your own definition. It's wrong, but that doesn't matter to you. It's one of your go-to routes to spat with your adversaries. You are a weakling.
definition: "a situation in which the concerns or aims of two different parties are incompatible."

from wikipedia:
A conflict of interest (COI) is a situation in which a person or organization is involved in multiple interests, financial or otherwise, and serving one interest could involve working against another. Typically, this relates to situations in which the personal interest of an individual or organization might adversely affect a duty owed to make decisions for the benefit of a third party.

Matches my definition. As I said very clearly and correctly, if Trump hotel cost $50k to stay in, and Marriott cost $50k to stay in, there is no adverse affect on the american taxpayer, and no conflict of interest.

Put another way, not all decisions that Trump makes that profit him are conflicts of interest. If he eats a Trump steak for dinner rather than Omaha steak, no conflict. The key is "might adversely affect a duty owed to make decisions for the benefit of a third party."

The definition game isn't MY game, it's yours. I'm routinely attacked over definitions in a bid to avoid the point.

Section2

Reaction score

If you object to the profit, that's fine. It's not a conflict of interest in this case.

That is a legitimate gripe, although Camp David doesn't have a golf course.

GopherJake

Reaction score
definition: "a situation in which the concerns or aims of two different parties are incompatible."

from wikipedia:
A conflict of interest (COI) is a situation in which a person or organization is involved in multiple interests, financial or otherwise, and serving one interest could involve working against another. Typically, this relates to situations in which the personal interest of an individual or organization might adversely affect a duty owed to make decisions for the benefit of a third party.

Matches my definition. As I said very clearly and correctly, if Trump hotel cost $50k to stay in, and Marriott cost $50k to stay in, there is no adverse affect on the american taxpayer, and no conflict of interest.

Put another way, not all decisions that Trump makes that profit him are conflicts of interest. If he eats a Trump steak for dinner rather than Omaha steak, no conflict. The key is "might adversely affect a duty owed to make decisions for the benefit of a third party."

The definition game isn't MY game, it's yours. I'm routinely attacked over definitions in a bid to avoid the point.
Here’s the number 2 definition when you Google “conflict of interest definition”:

“A situation in which a person is in a position to derive personal benefit from actions or decisions made in their official capacity.”

Section2

Reaction score
Here’s the number 2 definition when you Google “conflict of interest definition”:

“A situation in which a person is in a position to derive personal benefit from actions or decisions made in their official capacity.”
'The number 1 definition is wrong. The number 2 definition is the only acceptable one."

The wikipedia explanation is much more detailed Jake, and adds more clarity into conflict of interest than a single sentence can. I'd stick with insults and bullying rather than trying to engage the point, it was the better choice.

howeda7

Reaction score
I agree with this, unless Mar A Lago is giving it away for free.

Even if thats the case, security has to be more costs due to being at an unsecured location
Not only do we pay full freight for Trump, his entire family and all of the secret service, he was able to double membership fees as everyone wants access to the "Winter White House".

howeda7

Reaction score
If you object to the profit, that's fine. It's not a conflict of interest in this case.

That is a legitimate gripe, although Camp David doesn't have a golf course.
Jimmy Carter had to sell his peanut farm lest it prove a conflict of interest. Not only have not demanded Trump divest his business interests, we don't demand that he not engage in self-dealing, which is what this is. And this is not the only example, just the most obvious. Further, we don't even know what all of this business interests are, because he won't release his tax returns.

Don't ever tell me that you care about transparency or government accountability when you defend and dismiss these blatant violations.

cncmin

Reaction score
Was I the only person who worries about what Defense, National Security secrets and other secrets of significant national importance Trump just brazenly hands Putin every time they meet?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Of course not. Nor should anybody at all who cares about this country.

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
S2, aren't you getting tired of continually pretzeling to justify what Trump is doing? Moving the goal posts daily must get old at some point.

cncmin

Reaction score
Wow, just wow. Good to know that you think you are principled.

Section2

Reaction score
Jimmy Carter had to sell his peanut farm lest it prove a conflict of interest. Not only have not demanded Trump divest his business interests, we don't demand that he not engage in self-dealing, which is what this is. And this is not the only example, just the most obvious. Further, we don't even know what all of this business interests are, because he won't release his tax returns.

Don't ever tell me that you care about transparency or government accountability when you defend and dismiss these blatant violations.
Had to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justthefacts

Reaction score
That’s a different issue.

No, it's not. You honestly think he'd spend every weekend at a golf club in different states if he didn't own said golf clubs?

Section2

Reaction score
No, it's not. You honestly think he'd spend every weekend at a golf club in different states if he didn't own said golf clubs?
I’m commenting on whether or not staying at a trump resort in the UK is a conflict of interest. It’s not. If you want to say that the trend of staying at resorts is a conflict, or taken as a whole it’s a conflict, that’s a different argument.
The story was that he stayed at a resort, it cost 50k, and therefore it’s a conflict. And that’s wrong.

howeda7

Reaction score
S2, aren't you getting tired of continually pretzeling to justify what Trump is doing? Moving the goal posts daily must get old at some point.
He didn't vote for Trump, you know. :rolleyes:

Section2

Reaction score
Yes. Politically he had to. Just like he had to release his tax returns, as did every other President except Don.
Had to is not correct. Implies force. He chose to do so because he judged it was better for him politically.

Section2

Reaction score
It’s not a pretzel. Something is either a conflict of interest or it isn’t. I’m not moving the goalposts either. There is plenty that’s wrong and plenty to attack, and yet you guys constantly overreach. Aren’t you tired of that? I am.

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
It’s not a pretzel. Something is either a conflict of interest or it isn’t. I’m not moving the goalposts either. There is plenty that’s wrong and plenty to attack, and yet you guys constantly overreach. Aren’t you tired of that? I am.

What you did was a clear pretzel to try and make what is an obvious conflict of interest not be one, but only for this one specific 50k.

I'm not here constantly attacking Trump either, I've spent entire days trying to defend him from the crazy left (go back and see the NK thread) but I will attack him for obvious things like this. No one can defend any of this. It's a complete joke and every single tax payer should have a problem with this. It's not even arguable and for you to pretzel and try to defend Trump is embarrassing for you. Don't turn into beeg and just gargle whatever comes out of trump's pants, you are capable of thinking for yourself.

Section2

Reaction score
What you did was a clear pretzel to try and make what is an obvious conflict of interest not be one, but only for this one specific 50k.

I'm not here constantly attacking Trump either, I've spent entire days trying to defend him from the crazy left (go back and see the NK thread) but I will attack him for obvious things like this. No one can defend any of this. It's a complete joke and every single tax payer should have a problem with this. It's not even arguable and for you to pretzel and try to defend Trump is embarrassing for you. Don't turn into beeg and just gargle whatever comes out of trump's pants, you are capable of thinking for yourself.
Yes, I’m commenting on this specific 50k. Actually originally I was just taking issue with all of it representing “profit”. I’m not embarrassed at all. I haven’t seen anyone make a good counter argument. Maybe when they do I will change my mind.

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
Yes, I’m commenting on this specific 50k. Actually originally I was just taking issue with all of it representing “profit”. I’m not embarrassed at all. I haven’t seen anyone make a good counter argument. Maybe when they do I will change my mind.

Pretzeling again. All the evidence is right in front of you in this thread. What do you old guys like to say? You can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink?

Section2

Reaction score
Pretzeling again. All the evidence is right in front of you in this thread. What do you old guys like to say? You can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink?
So the argument is over whether one specific action constitutes a conflict of interest. Yes or no? How is my position a pretzel? I’m saying it’s not, straight up. You can’t get a more simple argument.
Jake tried to argue the definition and failed. And the rest of you bring up other examples, but I’m not seeing an argument.

Top Bottom