All things Tim Walz. Is he doing a good job?

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
The fact that Walz said people had requested the statute be taken down and then the office who manages the statue said they have never received such a request is amazing.
You’ve been had, MN. Granted, I’ve only watched a few handfuls of his press conferences but it’s easy to see Walz is full of schit - even his supporters have to acknowledge it at this point. Like Trump supporters they’ll take the bad because their policies are advanced but have to imagine they’d prefer more integrity. The lack of backbone is astonishing.

Last edited:

MplsGopher

Reaction score
You’ve been had, MN. Granted, I’ve only watched a few handfuls of his press conferences but it’s easy to see Walz is full of schit - even his supporters have to acknowledge it at this point. Like Trump supporters they’ll take the bad because their policies are advanced but have to imagine they’d prefer more integrity. The lack of backbone is astonishing.
Translation: blah, blah, blah. Personal attacks because you don't like the decision he made. Lame

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
at this point, how do you judge any action by any elected official? Because everything is subjected to the political prism.

Politician makes decision, and the opposing party comes out and says it's the worst decision ever made. without fail. On the first day of the special session, the IR leader of the state House issued a statement calling Walz a "fool." Hey, that's going to help set the tone for getting things done.

to be clear, I'm a DFL voter. I voted for Walz. I don't agree with every decision he's made. But - I have met the guy. I've interviewed him for work. and he is either a really good actor, or he's a fairly sincere guy who comes off as trying to do the right thing. Believe me, I've interviewed politicians where every word out of their mouth sounded like someone reciting talking points. Walz at least sounds like he's trying to answer the question.

ironically, there are people in the DFL who have expressed concerns about Walz in the past because of his military background - 24 years in the National Guard, and the highest-ranking enlisted soldier to ever serve in Congress. So there were DFL people who thought Walz was too moderate.

bga1

Reaction score
at this point, how do you judge any action by any elected official? Because everything is subjected to the political prism.

Politician makes decision, and the opposing party comes out and says it's the worst decision ever made. without fail. On the first day of the special session, the IR leader of the state House issued a statement calling Walz a "fool." Hey, that's going to help set the tone for getting things done.

to be clear, I'm a DFL voter. I voted for Walz. I don't agree with every decision he's made. But - I have met the guy. I've interviewed him for work. and he is either a really good actor, or he's a fairly sincere guy who comes off as trying to do the right thing. Believe me, I've interviewed politicians where every word out of their mouth sounded like someone reciting talking points. Walz at least sounds like he's trying to answer the question.

ironically, there are people in the DFL who have expressed concerns about Walz in the past because of his military background - 24 years in the National Guard, and the highest-ranking enlisted soldier to ever serve in Congress. So there were DFL people who thought Walz was too moderate.
There is no defending Walz's management decisions in these two events. Minnesota is the worst in the nation at protecting the nursing homes, while being among the more locked down states. That's pretty awful. Then with the riots, allowing damage to occur for three straight days before taking action is beyond weak. Even those who are left of center can see how bad he has been.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score

Well, I won’t argue with your impressions of Walz in private conversation and I’ve never seen a politician that doesn’t trip over their shoelaces now and then trying to please their base but in recent days:

Stated he had no control over the first days’ events in Mpls including the precinct debacle around Memorial Day, ostensibly because Frey was in charge of his city and PD and the coordination of the National Guard.
The next day stated he took full responsibility.
Major Gen Jensen of National Guard said he received no direction on mission from state leaders in first day on scene.
Stated he had intelligence the arsonists/vandals were white supremacists. Later said he “heard from a guy” that was the case.
Became upset a reporter criticized Frey for his handling of the riots.
Coddled Frey and apologized for the reporter’s question while cameras rolled.
Apparently was disingenuous about the State Capitol statue incident (I didn’t see that).

The overall impression is of emboldening and inciting the rioters, and the protestors that want to disrupt highways, commerce while throwing the entirety of law enforcement under the bus like every other politician. This is occurring in the setting of a comparably disastrous and speciously science-based COVID-19 approach (compared to MN peer states) that has threatened legal action, regulatory action vs regular law-abiding citizens and irreparably damaged many businesses, funerals, graduations, sports leagues, jobs.

Walz reminds me of what my dad said about Jimmy Carter. Nice guy but not cut out for that kind of job - and he is a lifelong DFL guy that has drifted even more left in recent years.

Livingat45north

Reaction score
More brilliant leadership from Walz and his allegiance to the Nero school of gov't management. We're at 278 today. Guess he's planning on that increasing ten fold in the next couple of weeks. He way over-reacts to COVID, and way under-reacts to people burning down our city.

Livingat45north

Reaction score
Walz gets $841 million from Trump and the federal gov't to spend on COVID relief for the economic shutdown, so where does Walz spend that cash? Well, of course on more government. He shuts down businesses forcing them into desperate cash-flow situations, to try to stay alive businesses have to cut payroll, furlough people, take on debt and defer bill payment. Meanwhile, gov't employees get full paychecks even if they're not working. So, naturally Walz ignores helping businesses and the people that work there, and instead doles out bundles of cash to government. He's getting absolutely hammered on Twitter, and deserves it. Maybe he can hang out in his $6M morgue that he bought to house those 3000 extra ICU beds we don't need for COVID.

howeda7

Reaction score
Thank God the Rs have a deep and talented bench to challenge him with. There's former RWNJ talk radio host Jason Lewis! And My Pillow Guy! And uh.....Tim Pawlenty! Everyone still loves him, right?

John Galt

Reaction score
Thank God the Rs have a deep and talented bench to challenge him with. There's former RWNJ talk radio host Jason Lewis! And My Pillow Guy! And uh.....Tim Pawlenty! Everyone still loves him, right?
Oh Howie - never change.

John Galt

Reaction score
Is Walz really still the governor? Seriously? How could you f up a year more badly than he has.

Spoofin

Reaction score
More brilliant leadership from Walz and his allegiance to the Nero school of gov't management. We're at 278 today. Guess he's planning on that increasing ten fold in the next couple of weeks. He way over-reacts to COVID, and way under-reacts to people burning down our city.

He also told us there was going to be 1000 deaths/week by late June. Likely all a ploy to show “how good he did” by keeping it below these numbers. No predictions on LTCF deaths that I recall tho.

howeda7

Reaction score
He’s your hero, right?
I have no strong opinion on him actually. I just find the level of pure vitriol for him by many on here a bit ridiculous.

Everyone is dealing with an underrepresented situation here. All Governors have a sucky job since they're being left to figure it out on their own with no real help from the Federal Government. He certainly hasn't been perfect. But he's hardly Hitler, Satan or even the worst of the 50 Governors the way y'all seem to think.

For weeks many on this board praised DeSantis as a genius and hero and Walz as the worst. Now Florida has zoomed past MN and has a far worse outbreak and there's still complete defense of one and demonization of the other.

Last edited:

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
I have no strong opinion on him actually. I just find the level of pure vitriol for him by many on here a bit ridiculous.

Everyone is dealing with an underrepresented situation here. All Governors have a sucky job since they're being left to figure it out on their own with no real help from the Federal Government. He certainly hasn't been perfect. But he's hardly Hitler, Satan or even the worst of the 50 Governors the way y'all seem to think.

For weeks many on this board praised DeSantis as a genius and hero and Walz as the worst. Now Florida has zoomed past MN and has a far worse outbreak and there's still complete defense of one and demonetization of the other.
Except they haven't, despite MN having far more advantages in controlling the virus over Florida.

John Galt

Reaction score

For weeks many on this board praised DeSantis as a genius and hero and Walz as the worst. Now Florida has zoomed past MN and has a far worse outbreak and there's still complete defense of one and demonization of the other.
You and the lefties call out Trump as a fascist and view him as a power hungry leader who may not leave the WH on his own 2 feet. Meanwhile, our governor who was hiding in his closet as the 3rd precinct burned to the ground, keeps extending his unilateral powers over the state due to 1000 deaths and has given himself unlimited powers to shutter businesses, protect allies and make whatever decision he wants with no checks and balances whatsoever.

Trump doesn't hold a candle to Walz when it comes to being a threat to freedom and democracy...

Livingat45north

Reaction score
All Governors have a sucky job since they're being left to figure it out on their own with no real help from the Federal Government.
Walz just got a blank check for $851 million from the federal gov't. I'd call that real help. Plus all the federal funds that went to unemployment checks and PPP programs. This is serious dollars flowing to the states providing significant help. Rather than ask for state legislator input (meaning the voice of the voters) on the best way to use that gift of $851 million, Walz on his own decided to use it to fund more government. He shut down businesses and when the federal gov't sends a lifeline our direction, Walz screws the private sector once again and gives it to gov't unions that in turn will fund the Democratic Party coffers. This is pure politics over people. Yet another move that shows how little our Nero cares about the private sector.

John Galt

Reaction score
Walz just got a blank check for $851 million from the federal gov't. I'd call that real help. Plus all the federal funds that went to unemployment checks and PPP programs. This is serious dollars flowing to the states providing significant help. Rather than ask for state legislator input (meaning the voice of the voters) on the best way to use that gift of $851 million, Walz on his own decided to use it to fund more government. He shut down businesses and when the federal gov't sends a lifeline our direction, Walz screws the private sector once again and gives it to gov't unions that in turn will fund the Democratic Party coffers. This is pure politics over people. Yet another move that shows how little our Nero cares about the private sector.
Exactly - has he laid off a government employee yet?

howeda7

Reaction score
I wasn't speaking financially. The "guidelines" of when to re-open were delayed, finally issued and then immediately denounced.

Livingat45north

Reaction score
Minnesota has over 1.6 times more per capita deaths from COVID than Florida, and over three times more per captia deaths as Texas.

Livingat45north

Reaction score
Howie didn't hear the phrase "per capita" on CNN today...
According to Howy billions of dollars in aid is "no help" and apparently Trump has also been completely silent on the topic of reopening the economy -- nary a single statement from Trump on that topic, no opinions from him nor any guidance at all.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
We’ll know who did better, Sweden vs US, Walz vs Desantis in about a year. Until then it’s just guesswork and the crystal ball is broken. The numbers will still be in dispute and Rebekah will be barking at the moon.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Exactly - has he laid off a government employee yet?
Cities down here are discussing who to cut and public safety - police and fire - are at the top of the list. With union contracts it’s hard to know if the educators at the state and district level have an appropriate haircut coming after hiding in their holes for the last 3.5 months and many agitating for more PTO this fall.

justthefacts

Reaction score
Walz gets $841 million from Trump and the federal gov't to spend on COVID relief for the economic shutdown, so where does Walz spend that cash? Well, of course on more government. He shuts down businesses forcing them into desperate cash-flow situations, to try to stay alive businesses have to cut payroll, furlough people, take on debt and defer bill payment. Meanwhile, gov't employees get full paychecks even if they're not working. So, naturally Walz ignores helping businesses and the people that work there, and instead doles out bundles of cash to government. He's getting absolutely hammered on Twitter, and deserves it. Maybe he can hang out in his $6M morgue that he bought to house those 3000 extra ICU beds we don't need for COVID.

Nokomis

Nothing To Say
Reaction score
Except they haven't, despite MN having far more advantages in controlling the virus over Florida.
Except they have. FL now has more cases/MM even though MN has more tests/MM. MN still has more deaths/MM, but as we know, deaths lag. FL had a huge spike over the past week, so I think it's fair to say they zoomed past MN.

1593524712651.png

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
Except they have. FL now has more cases/MM even though MN has more tests/MM. MN still has more deaths/MM, but as we know, deaths lag. FL had a huge spike over the past week, so I think it's fair to say they zoomed past MN.

View attachment 8576
Oh no not cases! Cases in mostly young people that have minor, to no symptoms, and won't die. So no they are not doing worse than MN. Just like most of our surrounding states who have had huge spikes in meat plants, have more cases per pop, yet have far fewer deaths per pop.

Death's only lag if the cases are infecting the vulnerable. I don't know how many more times that needs to be repeated.

Nokomis

Nothing To Say
Reaction score
Oh no not cases! Cases in mostly young people that have minor, to no symptoms, and won't die. So no they are not doing worse than MN. Just like most of our surrounding states who have had huge spikes in meat plants, have more cases per pop, yet have far fewer deaths per pop.

Death's only lag if the cases are infecting the vulnerable. I don't know how many more times that needs to be repeated.
1593529079964.png

1593529153429.png

These are graphs are nominal, and neither are encouraging. But at least MN is still going down.

Top Bottom