All things Tim Walz. Is he doing a good job?

LakevilleBro

Reaction score
I like Governor Walz, what do you think?

Last edited:

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Of course he’s doing a great job. Nearly everyone thinks so.

Research professors (teachers) at the U and Mayo aren’t “our best and brightest”? Silly, untrue comment

bga1

Reaction score
I think Walz is a solid communicator and seems nice enough, but is essentially playing way too safe (because it makes him a hero with the left) at this point and being a little deceptive about the models, which have been way off) behind his decisions.
He is a beneficiary of this state which overall is not densely populated and has a compliant population. I think if he was governing New York, he'd be doing about the same as Cuomo (poorly). He is on safe ground until the end of the month. After that if he continues to go chicken little on shelter in place- the natives are going to revolt.

USAF

Reaction score
He is on safe ground until the end of the month. After that if he continues to go chicken little on shelter in place- the natives are going to revolt.
LOL. You just keep moving that date back with each passing day. It's always two weeks away.

Goldteam

Reaction score
He's doing a great because he sounds just like Trump. He talks about the great job everyone is doing and then he talks about opening up the economy and when he might do that. He does a daily briefing, also.

He sounds just like Trump so thumbs up!

RememberMurray

Reaction score
Is Walz doing a good job?

Well, it's certainly illuminating to watch his presser/updates, and then contrast them with Trump's.

Walz presents crucial information in a straightforward way, lays out a plan for a clearly-defined time period, and outlines the reasoning for the plans.

Trump's pressers are... well, we've all seen them. They are exactly what you would expect from Trump.

Of course, there are the results of each state's policies and responses to consider as well. Minnesota is doing pretty well.

Here's the situation across the US:

If you scroll down to "Cases and Deaths by State and County", and then click to expand, you can compare Minnesota with all the other states.

Looks like Minnesota is doing alright...

bga1

Reaction score
Is Walz doing a good job?

Well, it's certainly illuminating to watch his presser/updates, and then contrast them with Trump's.

Walz presents crucial information in a straightforward way, lays out a plan for a clearly-defined time period, and outlines the reasoning for the plans.

Trump's pressers are... well, we've all seen them. They are exactly what you would expect from Trump.

Of course, there are the results of each state's policies and responses to consider as well. Minnesota is doing pretty well.

Here's the situation across the US:

If you scroll down to "Cases and Deaths by State and County", and then click to expand, you can compare Minnesota with all the other states.

Looks like Minnesota is doing alright...
Has the model Walz is basing his decisions on been accurate so far? If not why is he still sticking to that model? If he keeps us closed too long and lots of people lose businesses or their livelihood because he followed a model that was ultra safe for him, politically, is that a problem for you?

Blizzard

Reaction score
Walz has done fine. We have no idea how widespread it is here because we don't have testing. Walz needs to explain why we weren't prepared initially for this.

cjbfbp

Reaction score
He's doing a great because he sounds just like Trump. He talks about the great job everyone is doing and then he talks about opening up the economy and when he might do that. He does a daily briefing, also.

He sounds just like Trump so thumbs up!
He sounds about as much like Trump as you sound like Winston Churchill.

RememberMurray

Reaction score
Has the model Walz is basing his decisions on been accurate so far? If not why is he still sticking to that model? If he keeps us closed too long and lots of people lose businesses or their livelihood because he followed a model that was ultra safe for him, politically, is that a problem for you?
I don't think he's following a singular model. I think Walz and his advisors are studying multiple models, ranging from a model that predicts what would happen with no mitigation, to a model that predicts what would happen with very extreme, stay indoors type mitigation. These models are being adjusted constantly over time, to reflect new circumstances.

He's trying to find the sweet spot, the middle ground, and so far the course he's chosen has worked really, really well in slowing the spread.

If you actually watch the governor's pressers, he makes it crystal clear that we must consider the risks of both too much mitigation and not enough. He is definitely weighing in the risk to health as well as commerce.

As far as businesses are concerned, you have to think long-term there as well. If we get too aggressive with a rush to return to 'normal', we could have a huge surge in infections. That particular scenario would be just as harmful (probably more harmful) to businesses as playing it "too safe" would be, in the long run.

GopherJake

Reaction score
Walz should wait for CutDownTheNets’ model before doing anything else.

bga1

Reaction score
I don't think he's following a singular model. I think Walz and his advisors are studying multiple models, ranging from a model that predicts what would happen with no mitigation, to a model that predicts what would happen with very extreme, stay indoors type mitigation.

He's trying to find the sweet spot, the middle ground, and so far the course he's chosen has worked really, really well in slowing the spread.

If you actually watch the governor's pressers, he makes it crystal clear that we must consider the risks of both too much mitigation and not enough. He is definitely weighing in the risk to health as well as commerce.

As far as businesses are concerned, you have to think long-term there as well. If we get too aggressive with a rush to return to 'normal', we could have a huge surge in infections. That particular scenario would be just as harmful (probably more harmful) to businesses as playing it "too safe" would be.
If Walz was clearly spelling out the facts and reasons for what he is doing then your post above would look much different. You would know what models or model he is using.

RememberMurray

Reaction score
If Walz was clearly spelling out the facts and reasons for what he is doing then your post above would look much different. You would know what models or model he is using.
Again, if you watch his pressers, he often has graphics displayed which show the various models they're looking at. He explains, briefly but clearly, each one.

He is concerned with making sure we don't overwhelm medical capacity (numbers for ICU beds, ventilators, PPE availability for health professionals) and that we stay ahead of the curve there.

I see his approach as exactly what any rational person would do in his place.

RememberMurray

Reaction score
CDC director says a second wave of coronavirus will likely hit the US next year and warns of a seasonal pattern similar to the flu
  • Dr Robert Redfield on Wednesday said he expects a resurgence coronavirus infections after this year's crisis is over
  • 'It is critical that we plan that this virus is likely to follow a seasonality pattern similar to flu,' the CDC director said
  • 'We're going to have another battle with it up front and aggressively next winter,' he added
  • Redfield admitted that officials were under prepared for the current pandemic
  • He assured viewers that his agency is working hard to prevent another crisis
  • He also praised Americans for 'exceptional' commitment to social distancing

bga1

Reaction score
Again, if you watch his pressers, he often has graphics displayed which show the various models they're looking at. He explains, briefly but clearly, each one.

He is concerned with making sure we don't overwhelm medical capacity (numbers for ICU beds, ventilators, PPE availability for health professionals) and that we stay ahead of the curve there.

I see his approach as exactly what any rational person would do in his place.
Do you see it as realistic that Minnesota would need 2700 ICU rooms when our peak so far has been around 70?

RememberMurray

Reaction score
Do you see it as realistic that Minnesota would need 2700 ICU rooms when our peak so far has been around 70?
I'm really glad we've got leadership that is preparing for worst-case scenarios, and I'll be ecstatic if that worst-case scenario is consequently avoided.

I've clearly stated my reasons for my approval of Walz and his handling of the situation. Your turn, now.

You seem unhappy. Maybe you should explain exactly what it is you object to, and how you think Walz should be handling things differently. Lay out your scenarios, perhaps, since you appear unhappy with the way things are now.

Is it time to go back to 'normal', in your thinking?

bga1

Reaction score
I'm really glad we've got leadership that is preparing for worst-case scenarios, and I'll be ecstatic if that worst-case scenario is consequently avoided.

I've clearly stated my reasons for my approval of Walz and his handling of the situation. Your turn, now.

You seem unhappy. Maybe you should explain exactly what it is you object to, and how you think Walz should be handling things differently. Lay out your scenarios, perhaps, since you appear unhappy with the way things are now.

Is it time to go back to 'normal', in your thinking?
You didn't answer the question.. but I will answer yours.
It is time to start getting more people back to work. Yes. Hand washing, mask wearing all precautions to space people but yes - back to work as normal as possible. Once people do it they will become less fearful. I am working today as I have straight through this. I am in my 60's so this thing could hurt me. I am not permanent on this earth. I am thankful for every healthy moment God has given me. In life I am happy. I am not happy with what is to come unless we come to our senses. We are giving up freedom for safety and it is only a perceived and fleeting safety. Our founders willingly gave up safety for freedom. We are reversing that.

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
CDC director says a second wave of coronavirus will likely hit the US next year and warns of a seasonal pattern similar to the flu
  • Dr Robert Redfield on Wednesday said he expects a resurgence coronavirus infections after this year's crisis is over
  • 'It is critical that we plan that this virus is likely to follow a seasonality pattern similar to flu,' the CDC director said
  • 'We're going to have another battle with it up front and aggressively next winter,' he added
  • Redfield admitted that officials were under prepared for the current pandemic
  • He assured viewers that his agency is working hard to prevent another crisis
  • He also praised Americans for 'exceptional' commitment to social distancing
But I thought weather doesn't matter? Walz doesn't think it does.

Face The Facts

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
I like Walz.
Doing a great job with updating.

Using a horrible, fear-mongering model.
Valuing Osterholm's opinions way too much.

Or

He needs to explain the ridiculous model and explain why MN will have more deaths than NY.

(Or Italy and Wuhan combined).

Angry

Reaction score
Shitty governor, even shittier soldier.

RememberMurray

Reaction score
You didn't answer the question.. but I will answer yours.
It is time to start getting more people back to work. Yes. Hand washing, mask wearing all precautions to space people but yes - back to work as normal as possible. Once people do it they will become less fearful. I am working today as I have straight through this. I am in my 60's so this thing could hurt me. I am not permanent on this earth. I am thankful for every healthy moment God has given me. In life I am happy. I am not happy with what is to come unless we come to our senses. We are giving up freedom for safety and it is only a perceived and fleeting safety. Our founders willingly gave up safety for freedom. We are reversing that.
If you are working, and aren't worried about dying, and you're thankful, then what do you mean about "giving up freedom"?

What's the problem? What's eating at you? Your situation sounds pretty good, compared to a lot of people. Sounds as though you're living life on your terms, and yours alone.

Live Free or Die, I guess. Sounds as though you are doing exactly that.

bga1

Reaction score
If you are working, and aren't worried about dying, and you're thankful, then what do you mean about "giving up freedom"?

What's the problem? What's eating at you? Your situation sounds pretty good, compared to a lot of people. Sounds as though you're living life on your terms, and yours alone.

Live Free or Die, I guess. Sounds as though you are doing exactly that.
I own a business that is labeled essential. However, life doesn't end at my door. I care about friends and family and people in general who own a restaurant or work at a golf course or work in retail or any of a ton of businesses that are getting slammed by this. If we decide to let fear dictate as a society then all of these things are going to be worse long term. For an example of how things hang on, we still have to do all of the things that resulted from 9-11 at airports. The good news there is that those precautions are pretty much limited to airports and some major sporting events.

This crisis has limitless possibilities for long term government control, if we let it. The things that the government will do are seemingly well intended but have unintended consequences. As we can see we put in the Patriot Act to surveil foreigners who might terrorize us. Good. That ended up getting used to spy on congress, the press and eventually the Trump campaign in 2016. 85% of the 1000's of 702 searches done from 2012 to 2016 were illegal. That is a matter of documented fact. Americans were being spied on. What was once a good thing became used for political purposes to do harm. I supported the Patriot Act and I am sorry I did.

Do we only care about ourselves in this moment? Do we just want to take care of number one? Or do we want to assure that our society remains free long term? I want the latter. It appears that you favor the former.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Or do we want to assure that our society remains free long term?
"Free" meaning that small business owners are "free" to rip people off, without all that pesky government regulation/oversight.

How awful

Top Bottom