All Things Gophers Basketball Class of 2022 Recruiting Thread

Roland Brooks

Reaction score
No way does the local media and message board rippers play a major role in kids not coming here. In all the years talking with recruits and their families it has been a non factor. No one needs to tell them about the poor results and poor coaching. They pick coaches, success, occasionally location, cool factor, other players. Hell, the media here were light on Pitino. They should have been screaming for his firing years ago. Fan bases rip everywhere. Even elite programs like UVA have rippers on the message boards.
Well said

Cayman

Reaction score
No way does the local media and message board rippers play a major role in kids not coming here. In all the years talking with recruits and their families it has been a non factor. No one needs to tell them about the poor results and poor coaching. They pick coaches, success, occasionally location, cool factor, other players. Hell, the media here were light on Pitino. They should have been screaming for his firing years ago. Fan bases rip everywhere. Even elite programs like UVA have rippers on the message boards.
Well there was that time he made front page news for not filling up a rental car gas tank

bizzle22

Reaction score
Well there was that time he made front page news for not filling up a rental car gas tank
To be fair, he was coming off an 8-23 season which included a fairly embarrassing scandal involving multiple basketball players. He was lucky to still be employed, and probably would have been fired many other places. I think a story in the local paper about forgetting to fill up gas tanks was a pretty light punishment.

bc2211

Reaction score
To be fair, he was coming off an 8-23 season which included a fairly embarrassing scandal involving multiple basketball players. He was lucky to still be employed, and probably would have been fired many other places. I think a story in the local paper about forgetting to fill up gas tanks was a pretty light punishment.
The article itself was embarrassing for us all, whatever the hell the angle was.

ecoperson

Reaction score
I vehemently disagree... players do pick other teams for many of the reasons you cite but there is a terrible CULTURE in this community surrounding its sports teams that permeates and taints the success on the court. MOST other D-1 schools have a rabid fan base that is passionate- win or lose. In these communities, the school is a way of life and kids are taught and then DREAM of playing for the local team.

As the only D-1 university in the state, I am constantly disappointed in our fickle fans who don't blood maroon and gold. For every ripper on the UVA message board, there have ALWAYS been 1,000 fans who eat, live, and breathe UVA. In MN, about 50% of the fans are apathetic about the Gophers and the remaining 50% are split evenly between rippers and die hard fans. Local kids pick up on this from an early age and do not think that it is a DREAM to play for the home team.

These little things make a big difference when a local recruit goes to another university and sees how supportive its fans are. It's that little voice inside their heads that tells them to go seek greener pastures. Ben was hired to help build a solid foundation into the community itself NOT just to recruit local kids. This can not be done overnight but must be done methodically and without shortcuts.

It starts with building an identity and culture of hard work, overcoming the odds, and leading to success. That resonates with people. It includes bringing in some local recruits that may not be 4 or 5 stars but FIT the program and are the glue for successful teams. These are the players that best their tail off in practice to push others to get better and then assume a starting role as a senior. These are the stories that help inspire fans to commit their hearts to the program and prompt families to sit down together to watch a game.

The program has languished for too long as we've rarely seen any sense of young players developing on the bench as Fr, becoming solid players in their So years, and becoming starters in their Jr and Sr years. Who is the last Gopher student athlete that has followed that progression by earning playing time? It seems like most of our starters over the last several years either started as Fr or were transfers. This is why there was no bench strength and why, when a player went down, there was no way to keep the train on the tracks.

Ben has a plan and I going to be there to support him every step along the way because I KNOW that a successful team is more than just the 5 players on the court but includes the entire community.

builtbadgers

Reaction score
I vehemently disagree... players do pick other teams for many of the reasons you cite but there is a terrible CULTURE in this community surrounding its sports teams that permeates and taints the success on the court. MOST other D-1 schools have a rabid fan base that is passionate- win or lose. In these communities, the school is a way of life and kids are taught and then DREAM of playing for the local team.

As the only D-1 university in the state, I am constantly disappointed in our fickle fans who don't blood maroon and gold. For every ripper on the UVA message board, there have ALWAYS been 1,000 fans who eat, live, and breathe UVA. In MN, about 50% of the fans are apathetic about the Gophers and the remaining 50% are split evenly between rippers and die hard fans. Local kids pick up on this from an early age and do not think that it is a DREAM to play for the home team.

These little things make a big difference when a local recruit goes to another university and sees how supportive its fans are. It's that little voice inside their heads that tells them to go seek greener pastures. Ben was hired to help build a solid foundation into the community itself NOT just to recruit local kids. This can not be done overnight but must be done methodically and without shortcuts.

It starts with building an identity and culture of hard work, overcoming the odds, and leading to success. That resonates with people. It includes bringing in some local recruits that may not be 4 or 5 stars but FIT the program and are the glue for successful teams. These are the players that best their tail off in practice to push others to get better and then assume a starting role as a senior. These are the stories that help inspire fans to commit their hearts to the program and prompt families to sit down together to watch a game.

The program has languished for too long as we've rarely seen any sense of young players developing on the bench as Fr, becoming solid players in their So years, and becoming starters in their Jr and Sr years. Who is the last Gopher student athlete that has followed that progression by earning playing time? It seems like most of our starters over the last several years either started as Fr or were transfers. This is why there was no bench strength and why, when a player went down, there was no way to keep the train on the tracks.

Ben has a plan and I going to be there to support him every step along the way because I KNOW that a successful team is more than just the 5 players on the court but includes the entire community.
We hired the wrong coaches. The best ones win no matter where they go by building something everyone can see and feel. The communities you speak of now days have kids that dream of playing all over. They have traveled, they have seen winning, they have seen places they think are much cooler. They talk to other players, they know coaches. They do no not read the trib, listen to KFAN or visit the board. Local kids did not choose to be born here and have no obligation to cheer for the hometown team, especially if it is poorly coached, more so when your basketball playing friends have often played with and traveled with have enjoyed other places and other people more. It is a wonderful thing to have different ideas of what we like, what we enjoy.

Cayman

Reaction score
Firing a coach after 3 years is not very common I don’t believe, and depending on the timing of the story, he already had a strong recruiting class signed for the upcoming season.

Not everyone will agree with me, but personally I never found the “sex scandal” to be a big deal. College students are experimenting sexually, and presumably consensually, oh no! If the video was supposed to be private, and Kevin Dorsey shared it, then if anything Dupree McBrayer and Nate Mason are just as much victims as the woman was. I don’t know what Pitino was supposed to be doing to prevent this behavior, or further punish the players after it happened, so I personally think it would make little sense to include that as a reason for a hypothetical firing.

If anything, the gas tank story is the media showing that if they decide they don’t like you, they will go looking for dumb, insignificant bullshit and blow it out of proportion to further proliferate a general negative attitude toward a coach. If he didn’t win enough games, they can write a story about how he didn’t win enough games.

alchemy2u

Reaction score
We hired the wrong coaches. The best ones win no matter where they go by building something everyone can see and feel. The communities you speak of now days have kids that dream of playing all over. They have traveled, they have seen winning, they have seen places they think are much cooler. They talk to other players, they know coaches. They do no not read the trib, listen to KFAN or visit the board. Local kids did not choose to be born here and have no obligation to cheer for the hometown team, especially if it is poorly coached, more so when your basketball playing friends have often played with and traveled with have enjoyed other places and other people more. It is a wonderful thing to have different ideas of what we like, what we enjoy.
I think it is a combination of both. In today’s age, players can get information (or noise) from so many sources. They are much more connected to direct knowledge, but they are also much more influenced by social media. Almost every player is also a fan of the game and they are not immune to what they see on social media. If the local fanbase is not supportive of the college program, all of the local players know it. It seems silly to think players do not read nor care what is on social media when you have actual cases of players leaving because of the local pressure to perform. (I.e. Gabe…).

ecoperson

Reaction score
I'm not talking about the media or fan sites... I'm talking about their family, their coaches, their friends and simple word of mouth on the street. The U does NOT have a positive cache in the community... it is an after thought. This does not happen in other D-1 programs. The PEOPLE have the school colors of the local school coursing through their veins.

Don't tell me a kid in Michigan is raised to be anything other than a Wolverine or Spartan unless a parent has some tie elsewhere. These kids don't DREAM of playing elsewhere. They might gravitate to a program or coach as a teen... I am talking about literal elementary school kids. This is where people develop their identities. Ben has to help make more kids want to aspire to be Golden Gophers.

BarnBurner

Reaction score
Not really sure what Coyle could have said differently. He said he hired Ben because Ben is the best guy to build relationships with local players/families/coaches, and believes that is the best path for a successful and sustainable basketball program. Also said Ben impressed him with a plan to hire a staff that will be ideal to support a first time head coach. That all sounds fairly reasonable.

Coyle would deserve to be ripped if he tried to bring down expectations, which are already fairly low. With the strength and depth of the 2022 MN high school class I don’t think Coyle set Ben up to fail at all. If Ben snags at least a couple of those MN 2022s (which is a very realistic expectation) then it will look good. It was mentioned multiple times at the press conference that not all of them will be Gophers.

I’m one who expects Ben to do well recruiting the MN 2022 class. Not worried at all about not getting Eli King. I’d rather the ones who won’t be coming here commit elsewhere early so we don’t waste our time on them. It appears to me that Ben is setting up our scholarship situation for a large 2022 class that will likely include some strongly rated MN players, and I’m excited for it.
What, specifically, has his assistants done to support a first time head coach?

BarnBurner

Reaction score
Ben doesn't seem to care about pressure. He accepted this position knowing it would be a challenge. He's a smart dude who knew exactly what he was walking into and will do everything he can to prove the doubters wrong. He certainly didn't want Coyle to set low expectations. It will make his success all the sweeter!
1.95 cool a year helps with any pressure.

SanDiegoGopherFan

Reaction score
Why all the expectations for BJ to reel in solid class of 2022 kids? Either in MN it across the country? BJ has zero experience as HC and track record of developing players. IMO, that is a huge road block and enough for me to realize that this is going to take time. Most talented kids want stable programs where they feel they have the best chance to develop. IMO, BJ can’t show that at this time. Not trying to be a know it all but indications thus far are that the 21-22 squad will struggle. Maybe he will surprise but I don’t expect a lot.

Well, if we don't have a full roster by mid June, now that we have a full staff, we might be in trouble for longer than 21-22.

of course that would be shocking, so I think by the end of this month we'll have a full squad

builtbadgers

Reaction score
I'm not talking about the media or fan sites... I'm talking about their family, their coaches, their friends and simple word of mouth on the street. The U does NOT have a positive cache in the community... it is an after thought. This does not happen in other D-1 programs. The PEOPLE have the school colors of the local school coursing through their veins.

Don't tell me a kid in Michigan is raised to be anything other than a Wolverine or Spartan unless a parent has some tie elsewhere. These kids don't DREAM of playing elsewhere. They might gravitate to a program or coach as a teen... I am talking about literal elementary school kids. This is where people develop their identities. Ben has to help make more kids want to aspire to be Golden Gophers.
We just see it differently. You think the negative people have a major influence on the kids when they are little , i do not agree and am more interested in what they think when they are older. Some of our grand kids were raised in Minnesota but were encouraged to create and follow their own dreams and after traveling often ended up thinking that other places were cooler to them and a better fit. They cheered Gopher Hockey, USC football and Stanford baseball. When the right coach creates a identity that he can sell and winning happens more kids will care but all teams have exposure and kids like what the friends and families like. Never been provincial myself. I not from here but support the Gophers. I support UVA and even with their extraordinary success the can hardly find a non walk on recruit from the state. The best Virginia kids dream of Duke and UNC and OSU and Michigan and on and on.

gopherhoopsguy

Reaction score
Lol if u don’t think the media plays a big factor in recruiting and the perception of the U think again. U haven’t spend much time in college cities then.

builtbadgers

Reaction score
Lol if u don’t think the media plays a big factor in recruiting and the perception of the U think again. U haven’t spend much time in college cities then.
I think in total the media plays a major role. Look at the coverage Duke gets, look at their recruits. The local media in the twin cities was really soft on Pitino. The more you win the more positive national media you get. Some of those schools are brands. We have sucked so long that there is total indifference about us.

ecoperson

Reaction score
We just see it differently. You think the negative people have a major influence on the kids when they are little , i do not agree and am more interested in what they think when they are older. Some of our grand kids were raised in Minnesota but were encouraged to create and follow their own dreams and after traveling often ended up thinking that other places were cooler to them and a better fit. They cheered Gopher Hockey, USC football and Stanford baseball. When the right coach creates a identity that he can sell and winning happens more kids will care but all teams have exposure and kids like what the friends and families like. Never been provincial myself. I not from here but support the Gophers. I support UVA and even with their extraordinary success the can hardly find a non walk on recruit from the state. The best Virginia kids dream of Duke and UNC and OSU and Michigan and on and on.
I think that you have a unique perspective that differs from most. I appreciate that you are a fan of the GAME. I am a FANATIC of the University of MN... of my home town D-1 university. I was raised to follow all MN sports teams without exception. Our radio NEVER left WCCO because we were always listening to some sport. The mere thought of going to WI or IA literally makes me ill. My family would have disowned me if I would have went to one of those schools. My experience is not unique. My experience is that of many Americans whose families follow D-1 sports.

I understand that not everyone is a provincial as my family but this fan base is extremely apathetic. You'll see a little uptick during good seasons but a remarkable drop off during the lean times. Sometimes I think that this fan base gets what it deserves.

Ben has an opportunity to connect with the community in new ways... as one of its own. He does not need to get every in-state recruit but he needs to develop a FAN base that isn't based on soley on wins and losses but on a sense of pride for the state's university and making the kids of this state DREAM of representing MN as Golden Gophers.

builtbadgers

Reaction score
I think that you have a unique perspective that differs from most. I appreciate that you are a fan of the GAME. I am a FANATIC of the University of MN... of my home town D-1 university. I was raised to follow all MN sports teams without exception. Our radio NEVER left WCCO because we were always listening to some sport. The mere thought of going to WI or IA literally makes me ill. My family would have disowned me if I would have went to one of those schools. My experience is not unique. My experience is that of many Americans whose families follow D-1 sports.

I understand that not everyone is a provincial as my family but this fan base is extremely apathetic. You'll see a little uptick during good seasons but a remarkable drop off during the lean times. Sometimes I think that this fan base gets what it deserves.

Ben has an opportunity to connect with the community in new ways... as one of its own. He does not need to get every in-state recruit but he needs to develop a FAN base that isn't based on soley on wins and losses but on a sense of pride for the state's university and making the kids of this state DREAM of representing MN as Golden Gophers.
Great post. Appreciate the authenticity. Our experiences shape us and it is a good thing that we are so different.

ecoperson

Reaction score
Can some direct me to the thread about 2022 recruiting?
The success of the 2022 recruiting class is based on establishing a vision and identity that can appeal to all recruits immediately. We hope that in-state recruits have enough pride in their home state to want to stay home and see this vision become a reality.

jovs

Reaction score
21/12/3 at Sibley All State junior Mbakwe was a beast. Even his Sophomore season he was A stud. Elvis is hard to find some games... ask Bryce Webster
He was physical, not very skilled, dominated the competition because of his physical abilities, he had Freeman type numbers his freshman year at Marquette.

mkAz

Reaction score
The success of the 2022 recruiting class is based on establishing a vision and identity that can appeal to all recruits immediately. We hope that in-state recruits have enough pride in their home state to want to stay home and see this vision become a reality.
Start a new thread for that.

Roland Brooks

Reaction score
He was physical, not very skilled, dominated the competition because of his physical abilities, he had Freeman type numbers his freshman year at Marquette.
Aren’t physical abilities part of ones skill set?

SanDiegoGopherFan

Reaction score
He does not need to get every in-state recruit but he needs to develop a FAN base that isn't based on soley on wins and losses but on a sense of pride for the state's university and making the kids of this state DREAM of representing MN as Golden Gophers.

This 1000%. It's why i've been saying the U's PR/Marketing team has done a poor job for Ben so far. They need to step up their game.

ecoperson

Reaction score
Start a new thread for that.
Does 'All Things' mean something different to you? My additions are inextricably related to the topic of general 2022 recruiting. If you are looking to specifically talk about recruit A, B, or C... you can leave and go to those threads instead. My handful of posts on the importance of establishing an identify to reel in 2022 homegrown recruits have not derailed the thread in any way. I had no more to say on the subject but now you are fittingly getting another post because of your attempt to call me out.

Ozzy&Ray

Reaction score

Yes, they do. There is a reason so many top players from MI end up elsewhere, often the dreaded neighbor Ohio State. It happens in every state. Some kids stay home, many leave - everywhere. it’s changed even more dramatically in recent years as kids can now FaceTime Mom and Dad, there is a travel allowance, and parents can see every game on tv or streaming, and they travel all over for AAU. 15-20 years ago that wasn’t true - you had to stay regional if family was going to see all your games.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Just my opinion, but if a recruit said he was not going to attend School X because "the fans on their message boards are too negative," then I question that player's priorities.

The vast majority of recruits choose a school based on the coaches who recruit them - both the assistants and the head coach. if you like a coach and his philosophy/approach, you are not going to change your mind because a couple of yahoos post negative comments on a fan site.

the location of the school or its academic programs may come into play in some recruitments, but if you don't click with the coach, the location and programs really don't matter.

TheBarnyard

Reaction score

Do you have proof to support this claim? I’m not saying I fully disagree but this seems like an emotional claim not factual.

I rip the team when I am upset with them but I support them with everything I’ve got. I’m the guy at the game pumping my arms to get the crowd on its feet. Are you a season ticket holder or donor?

Also, have you been to a Vikings game at US Bank? I am a Vikes season ticket holder as well and Vikings fans are very loyal. It’s full every year every game no matter what and one of the best home crowd advantages in the NFL. Also, Vikings fans have built a reputation in recent years as being one of the best traveling fan bases in the NFL.

Top Bottom