All things Derek Chauvin trial

Reaction score
I had a long conversation with a Richfield cop this week, and he’s been taking jiu jitsu. He thinks tasers are basically worthless, especially outside summer months in MN. Especially for someone high on drugs. Good martial arts much more effective in stopping someone. He just prays he never has to use his gun, thinks things will never get better, and is counting the days til retirement. It was pretty depressing.
As long as the powerful race baiting politicians keep pushing division and adding fuel to the fire, he's probably right.

GoldenRodents

Reaction score
Did you just compare Chauvin, who murdered a man ON CAMERA, to the Salem Witch Trials?
No I compared the public demanding "justice" while threateninig retribution to judge, jury defense attorney, and witnesses if they presented mitigating factors, and public officials cheerleading the same.

Believe me Chauvin was way more guily looking than my great×10 grandmothers

Spoofin

Reaction score
It's the turmoil from the aftermath of a cop murdering a citizen.
I heard someone on the radio yesterday saying the number of cops is down from ~800 to start last year to ~650 now. It's possible that has something to do with it.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
I had a long conversation with a Richfield cop this week, and he’s been taking jiu jitsu. He thinks tasers are basically worthless, especially outside summer months in MN. Especially for someone high on drugs. Good martial arts much more effective in stopping someone. He just prays he never has to use his gun, thinks things will never get better, and is counting the days til retirement. It was pretty depressing.
Leverage and weight distribution!

GoldenRodents

Reaction score
The trial will be remembered for the overwhelming amount of evidence pointing to Chauvin's actions killing George Floyd. The aftermath will be remembered for the old white man right wingers whining and crying about how the white police officer should have gotten away with killing an unarmed black man.
You need explicit bias training.

A lot of us have seen the destruction of the nuclesr family (all races) close up and it is gut wrenching. We were told more education and welfare would solve the problem. Wrong, the only institution that can mold youth into communitarian adults is the loving discipline of mom and dad struggling together to prepare their children for the struggle of life. Single moms with few exceptions will fail to do this.

You are being played by powers you don't understand and resist the counsel of the wise at your deep peril.

Spoofin

Reaction score
Only to scared old people watching Fox News/OANN/Newsmax who never intended to go into the city anyway.
Does this include the kid who was shot in GFS last month, later died, and how the cops even referred to it as a "no go zone" at that time?

Section2

Reaction score
Great posts for Howie. "The Right" doesn't agree with the Chauvin verdict? I can say I honestly don't know a single person that doesn't agree with the verdict. I must only know Lefties. I must be a Lefty.
I mean, the phrase “collective good” is an interesting one. Is that something the right recently abandoned? Collectivism vs individualism.

FormerFatOL

Reaction score
I'd say the last block is what we are striving for and that good cops support. The preceding is a bunch of snowflake cop talk that is why we are where we are.

Overlooked in all of this is that the situation with George Floyd immediately was spiked to crisis with one officer's power-play and totally unwarranted move: The first officer to encounter Floyd IMMEDIATELY pointed a gun at his face and started making demands. For a $20 counterfeiting. Does anyone here, besides John Galt, believe this was warranted? The entire incident escalated at that moment. That was incredibly bad policing. That decision escalated the situation and endangered Floyd, the public and the police officers. It was incredibly stupid. In my opinion, that constitutes an illegal act as well.

I'm curious, what is the "proper" way for a cop to approach a 6' 7" convicted violent felon with a long record?

This is what happens to cops that aren't prepared for violence in today's world:

Blizzard

Reaction score
Most of the cops we know go to Alliance in their law enforcement only classes. It's pretty serious stuff.

Section2

Reaction score
The trial will be remembered for the overwhelming amount of evidence pointing to Chauvin's actions killing George Floyd. The aftermath will be remembered for the old white man right wingers whining and crying about how the white police officer should have gotten away with killing an unarmed black man.
I don’t know how anyone can be 100% certain that he killed Floyd. Reckless disregard for his well being after becoming motionless I think is the only thing I’m sure of.

boofbonser

Reaction score
Would agree. They are very short range, at best only have two cartridges (so you only get two shots), you need both prongs to hit, and they are pretty useless to someone heavily under the influence. They have a use, but not a high effectiveness rate which makes a fair amount of officers prefer a hands on approach.

Section2

Reaction score
Would agree. They are very short range, at best only have two cartridges (so you only get two shots), you need both prongs to hit, and they are pretty useless to someone heavily under the influence. They have a use, but not a high effectiveness rate which makes a fair amount of officers prefer a hands on approach.
Some of the videos I’ve seen where cops ended up getting killed after using tasers also show another point he made. You only have 5 seconds to cuff them after using a taser.
saw someone on Twitter mention this yesterday, maybe we can devote some of our military budget to finding non lethal ways to subdue a suspect?

howeda7

Reaction score
Are there other options? Most say shooting without intent to kill isn't an option. So many of the civilians who end up dead are at least partially in the wrong but they don't need to end up dead.

It's understandable that the 15 year old girl with a knife was a danger and the police were going to respond. But she probably didn't need to be killed.

boofbonser

Reaction score
Some of the videos I’ve seen where cops ended up getting killed after using tasers also show another point he made. You only have 5 seconds to cuff them after using a taser.
saw someone on Twitter mention this yesterday, maybe we can devote some of our military budget to finding non lethal ways to subdue a suspect?
Yep, lasts for five seconds. You can reactivate them if they hit and stick though. It’s just 5 seconds of shock each time. It is hard to handcuff the arrestee when you are trying to avoid the wires though. Definitely need to develop a better alternative.

Section2

Reaction score
Are there other options? Most say shooting without intent to kill isn't an option. So many of the civilians who end up dead are at least partially in the wrong but they don't need to end up dead.

It's understandable that the 15 year old girl with a knife was a danger and the police were going to respond. But she probably didn't need to be killed.
You really have to wonder about the mental state of someone who right in front of cops, decleats one girl, then turns, brandishes a knife, and charges another and gets ready to swing. There is no time for a taser or to intervene. It’s shoot or hope she doesn’t kill the other girl. No other choices. And I mean, the guy coming in and kicking the girl on the ground in the head right in front of cops. Crazy scene.
I guess everyone would rather we just let the attacker with a potentially deadly weapon act first, and hope we can subdue her at some point and of the victim dies it’s ok as long as the cops didn’t shoot.

boofbonser

Reaction score

Not really unfortunately. The only other tool usually authorized for assaultive behavior is a baton and those present plenty of issues as well. Definitely not possible to shoot without intent to kill either unfortunately. Anyone who has trained with a 9mm and a moving target can tell you that. Very sad situation with the girl in Ohio, but she was using deadly force against the other girl by charging at her with a knife (the girl in pink in the video). That’s a justifiable use of deadly force. Again, very sad situation, but justifiable.

MplsGopher

Banned
Reaction score
Chauvin was going to show that crowd who was boss, and show his trainees how to be the boss. There is no legitimacy of state force here. He was just being needlessly cruel, and he is going to prison.
Nailed it 100%.

He simply didn't think he'd kill him. "Whoops!"

MplsGopher

Banned
Reaction score
Overlooked in all of this is that the situation with George Floyd immediately was spiked to crisis with one officer's power-play and totally unwarranted move: The first officer to encounter Floyd IMMEDIATELY pointed a gun at his face and started making demands. For a $20 counterfeiting. Does anyone here, besides John Galt, believe this was warranted? The entire incident escalated at that moment. That was incredibly bad policing.
We need two types of officers: something like a "peace officer" who carries no weapon, and then what you picture as the current LEO that has a vest, tactical belt, taser, pistol, etc.

It would have been entirely appropriate to send (ideally, a locally based in that specific neighborhood of Mpls) the peace officer to go talk to George about the counterfeit bill. Ideally, a Black man who is known in the community. He could try to figure out if it was an honest mistake, or perhaps write a citation, as needed. Nothing more would have been required.

MplsGopher

Banned
Reaction score
He thinks tasers are basically worthless, especially outside summer months in MN.

You or he meant winter. Summer they have less clothing (more skin exposed) and more likely to be perspiring, which increases the conductivity of the skin to the nerves/muscle underneath.

He just prays he never has to use his gun

Here's a thought -- why not try to shoot someone in the knee?

MplsGopher

Banned
Reaction score
This is what happens to cops that aren't prepared for violence in today's world:
Extremely rare and it's the risk you sign up for to be a police officer.

This hyper-rare incident is just what we'll have to accept, in order to avoid police killing unarmed/non-resisting civilians. I'll take a 1 in a billion tragedy over several per year tragedy, every day of the week.

Don't like that? Don't sign up. Personal responsibility

stocker08

Reaction score
You need explicit bias training.

A lot of us have seen the destruction of the nuclesr family (all races) close up and it is gut wrenching. We were told more education and welfare would solve the problem. Wrong, the only institution that can mold youth into communitarian adults is the loving discipline of mom and dad struggling together to prepare their children for the struggle of life. Single moms with few exceptions will fail to do this.

You are being played by powers you don't understand and resist the counsel of the wise at your deep peril.

This is such a hilarious pivot from Chauvin trial....and not at all surprising that it is coming from a Jonesing infowars soldier. The old white man party of the right continues to delve deeper into hysteria.

howeda7

Reaction score
You or he meant winter. Summer they have less clothing (more skin exposed) and more likely to be perspiring, which increases the conductivity of the skin to the nerves/muscle underneath.

Here's a thought -- why not try to shoot someone in the knee?
He said they're useless outside of (aside from) summer months. You're saying the same thing.

stocker08

Reaction score
I don’t know how anyone can be 100% certain that he killed Floyd. Reckless disregard for his well being after becoming motionless I think is the only thing I’m sure of.

The testimony of the doctors brought in provide little doubt as to how and why Floyd died. There are instances of outliers saying that they are not exactly sure....but one thing is sure....and that is that the drugs DID NOT kill him. Overwhelming evidence points to Chauvin placing all his weight on the neck and the back as the MAIN thing that led to his death.

As I have pointed out and others in this thread have pointed out....you can't "yah but" it at this point. Floyd was screaming that he couldn't breath, onlookers were yelling that he couldn't breath and had gone motionless, and the evidence suggests that he did die due to "cardiopulmonary arrest" complicated by "restraint, and neck compression". Had Chauvin provided any indication of worry or alarm....and had done ANYTHING to assess Floyd in those final minutes....maybe that small sliver of doubt provides him some sort of defense. Unfortunately he decided to stay in position on top of Floyd for several minutes after he had gone unconscious. That along with the autopsy is MORE than enough to slap him with a guilty ruling.

stocker08

Reaction score
Great posts for Howie. "The Right" doesn't agree with the Chauvin verdict? I can say I honestly don't know a single person that doesn't agree with the verdict. I must only know Lefties. I must be a Lefty.

A bunch of spoof's Trumper pals in this very thread have disagreed. Of course....spoof won't acknowledge them or call them out. In the end they are all allies in Trump's army.

Top Bottom