All things Derek Chauvin trial

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Can we just skip to the part where they convict him of murder?

He agreed to plea guilty to it, for cripes sake.

He's guilty. You know it, I know it, your grandmother knows it. CRG knows it.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
Tune in right now to see the prosecution completely chew up - in a very non-confrontational manner - the defense expert in use of force. You could swear he's a prosecution witness right this moment.
They needed someone to introduce the idea that things for police officers can change at any moment, thus no response is ever unreasonable. This one cost $11,400.
It really is the part that needs to go, in my opinion. There should be some ability to question how the job is done, and some accountability. The jury will decide this case, but to refer to jay walking gone bad, as he did, is not going to be the big save I think they need at this point.

TheRealMcCoy

Reaction score
Can we just skip to the part where they convict him of murder?

He agreed to plea guilty to it, for cripes sake.

He's guilty. You know it, I know it, your grandmother knows it. CRG knows it.
My grandmother actually doesn’t think so. And I’m being totally honest

GoodasGold

Reaction score
No I haven’t, I like to stick to liquor. One of my college buddies did trick me into smoking his G-pen (hash oil in it) and told me it was just a regular nicotine vape pen. I was pretty pissed off about it too because at the time I worked full time at a company that did frequent drug tests. He could have screwed me out of my job.

But yeah if Floyd had only been a pothead, maybe I wouldn’t be so harsh about it. But meth and fentanyl are just a bit worse wouldn’t you say? And correct me if I’m wrong, Floyd didn’t just steal a candy bar. He had an armed robbery on his record didn’t he? Downplaying crimes to seem harmless isn’t really helpful. Just smoking some weed or taking something that doesn’t belong to you are a far shot from Floyd’s activities.

I don’t believe Chauvin killed him, his knee appeared to be on his back, not his neck. Seemed from the videos that Floyd was in a fit of hysteria prior to even being on the ground. Floyd resisted the cops for quite awhile prior to the famous kneeling scene, from the full video that I’ve seen it appears that Chauvin and the other officers were being pretty nice to him until a certain point where Floyd became inconsolable and frantic. I think Chauvin is a pile because he’s got a reputation for being kind of a dbag cop that pushed the legal boundaries in other cases. His time in court was probably coming. I wouldn’t really care if he was found guilty or not. Floyd’s time was coming for quite awhile too. With the stuff he was involved in for years, I’d say he was lucky to make it as far as he did. Which is why I say they’re both piles and why can’t we just agree to leave it at that?
I smoke weed, but I don’t inhale. 😗

TheRealMcCoy

Reaction score
Who coulda guessed you got bad genes.
She’s pretty damn smart and she produced 3 highly intelligent sons. My Dad was top of his class with a full ride to Hamline, was a physics major and became a highly respected teacher. My uncle is an orthopedic surgeon, part owns his own clinic. My other uncle is the main guy in the IT department for Traveler’s insurance.

Wally

Reaction score
She’s pretty damn smart and she produced 3 highly intelligent sons. My Dad was top of his class with a full ride to Hamline, was a physics major and became a highly respected teacher. My uncle is an orthopedic surgeon, part owns his own clinic. My other uncle is the main guy in the IT department for Traveler’s insurance.
The good genes obviously skip a generation...🤣

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
If Ellison and company aren’t having coffee and working on Chauvin‘s cross examination right now, they should be.

GopherJake

Reaction score
If Ellison and company aren’t having coffee and working on Chauvin‘s cross examination right now, they should be.
I agree. The defense was hammered today, as far as I could tell. Maybe they are setting something up - I'm no lawyer - but I can't see how it's not bordering on a desperate defense at this point.

Wally

Reaction score
I can't see him testifying...I am sure they are ready if he does tho. I heard deliberations will likely start Monday.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
I would be on my hands and knees begging to let him take the murder-3 plea deal that he originally agreed to.

At this rate, murder-2 conviction is not out of the question. No coming back from that one, if it happens.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
For what it's worth -

Juries are made up of people. And people can do things that surprise you.

We all interpret things through our own biases and opinions.

It only takes 1 or 2 jurors who are inclined to support cops - or see Floyd as a threat - to hang a jury or swing the decision.

So nothing is guaranteed. based on what I've heard and read, it seems like the prosecution has presented a good case. But other people see it differently.

I could see the jury not wanting to hang a murder conviction on a cop and going with manslaughter as a compromise. And - an acquittal is still possible. A lot of people thought OJ was guilty, too.

Wally

Reaction score
For what it's worth -

It only takes 1 or 2 jurors who are inclined to support cops - or see Floyd as a threat - to hang a jury or swing the decision.

So nothing is guaranteed. based on what I've heard and read, it seems like the prosecution has presented a good case. But other people see it differently.

I could see the jury not wanting to hang a murder conviction on a cop and going with manslaughter as a compromise. And - an acquittal is still possible. A lot of people thought OJ was guilty, too.

Yes manslaughter wouldn't surprise me. If his sentence was at the top end of the manslaughter scale I would probably be fine with it, if he ends up serving more than half his sentence before the trial is over I would have a big problem with that.

Spoofin

Reaction score
For what it's worth -

You don't say.........

Wally

Reaction score
You should actually watch the trial. That defense witness got made into a clown by the prosecution. Defense gained no ground today.

Thats not what his "unbiased" source said...

GopherRock

GopherHole Straw Boss
Reaction score
Chauvin will NOT take the stand in his own defense. Also, it sounds like the defense will rest once the jury is brought back in.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
Derek Chauvin said in court Thursday that he will not testify in his murder trial.

"I will invoke my Fifth Amendment privilege" to not risk making any self-incriminating statements in Hennepin County District Court, where he is charged with killing George Floyd.

District Judge Peter Cahill has said it's his intention, once the defense rests, for the attorneys to make their closing arguments as soon as Monday before jurors are sequestered and deliberate whether the fired Minneapolis police officer should be convicted of using excessive force in the killing of George Floyd at 38th and Chicago on May 25.

Bob_Loblaw

Reaction score
I agree. The defense was hammered today, as far as I could tell. Maybe they are setting something up - I'm no lawyer - but I can't see how it's not bordering on a desperate defense at this point.

It would make zero sense for him to testify.

The defense's only defense is the angle that Floyd ODd and the scene was incredibly chaotic. Derek Chauvin can't really speak to those points any more than is already known.

I was surprised the prosecution called so many witnesses. I think they actually made the case (accidentally) that the scene was chaotic.

But yeah, Eric Nelson is a really good lawyer. It's a tough case but zero chance Chauvin testifies (unless of course he demands it).

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Chauvin: "yes the scene was very chaotic ... that's why I felt the need, per my training, to place all my weight, including the 40+ lbs of gear I was wearing, down on Mr. Floyd's neck, in fact lifting my boots off the ground, and keep it that way for several minutes. That's the natural thing that any officer would do!"

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
I think there is a real problem with trying to blame the bystanders. The message is, if you see something you think is wrong, stay in your lane and shut up. It would be easier for a juror to see himself as someone who would stand up for the helpless, than to be a person who sees wrongdoing and says nothing.

Top Bottom