All Things COVID-19 College Football Impact

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Language evolves. I'm sure there are plenty of things you use when conversing that were considered incorrect/imprecise at one point. Get over yourself.
It's evolving much too fast, now, though.

My grandkids will not be taught emoji's and lazy texting acronyms/slang in class. I will not allow it.

swelna

Reaction score

My grandkids will not be taught emoji's and lazy texting acronyms/slang in class. I will not allow it.
Man, PE must be rubbing off on you from all the arguing because you're starting to sound like him...

forever a gopher

Reaction score
I also don't know for sure, but if it's similar to CAT scans, technically you increase your risk of things like cancer by some amount each time you get one, so something similar might be weighing in on this as well. A "the chance you have myocarditis and the MRI catches it and saves your life is far smaller than the amount getting the scan increases your chance of cancer" type situation. Though, if it were something like that I would expect them to be much more straight forward about it.
There is no radiation involved in an MRI. That's why you hear about athletes getting them like candy. It's not like an x-ray where you get a pretty heavy dose of radiation (although this is usually on a pretty focused area). An x-ray requires lead-lined walls, and that's about it. An MRI, on the other hand requires a lot more intense construction due to the magnetic draw of the MRI, and space requirements are far greater (which increases cost as space = money in a money making venture like a hospital). Both the machines themselves and the construction involved with them are expensive. How they work is that they take image slices of your body, and getting the view setup, operating a very expensive and elaborate machine, and reading them takes more than "pushing a button". Operating an x-ray and MRI are very different. Hence, the cost associated with an MRI and x-ray are subsequently very different.

Word

Eats difficult conversations
Reaction score
Radiation (radio waves, in this case) is indeed involved.
Radiation in the sense of electromagnetic radiation (radio waves), sure, but not ionizing radiation which is what people should be concerned about.

From: https://stanfordhealthcare.org/medical-tests/m/mri/risk-factors.html
Because radiation is not used, there is no risk of exposure to radiation during an MRI procedure. However, due to the use of the strong magnet, MRI cannot be performed on patients with:

• Implanted pacemakers
  • Intracranial aneurysm clips
  • Cochlear implants
  • Certain prosthetic devices
  • Implanted drug infusion pumps
  • Neurostimulators
  • Bone-growth stimulators
  • Certain intrauterine contraceptive devices; or
  • Any other type of iron-based metal implants.

Word

Eats difficult conversations
Reaction score
Radiation (radio waves, in this case) is indeed involved.
Additionally, radio waves are essentially no risk due to their low energy. You are bathed in them constantly from radio station signal, your cell phone, wifi, etc.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Yes, I know.

Radiation literally refers to the emission of photons at any frequency.

If the understood medical definition means higher energies than UV, fine.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Modern Minnesota educational institutions cultivate critical thinking skills in which of the following areas:

1. Science
2. “Science”
3. Whatever the hell I want

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Yes PE we know, you're a libertarian and you want government out of schools entirely.

Next.

Wally

Reaction score

You will be crabby crazy grandpa...

Ope3

Reaction score
Did not know where to put this but while I was driving through Northfield yesterday I drove by Carleton's Laird Stadium and they were painting the gridiron lines on the field.

No idea what that means, but it made me smile.

PMWinSTP

Reaction score
Did not know where to put this but while I was driving through Northfield yesterday I drove by Carleton's Laird Stadium and they were painting the gridiron lines on the field.

No idea what that means, but it made me smile.
My guess is it's for the Ultimate team to stay sharp.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Sweden has isolation as a benefit.

Who wants to travel to Sweden?? Probably few people, even Europeans, and especially when it's cold. Don't think they have famous ski resorts or any reason for tourists to be there in the cold months.

That's why it can work there. Would never be anything near the same in the US, where foreigners constantly travel to, year round.

And the main point is, Sweden still probably only has say 30% of its population with antibodies. I plucked that number out of thin air, but would guess somewhere in that ballpark. Certainly nowhere near 60-70%.

They do not have herd immunity, at this time. In other words, a new outbreak could happen to their population, if the virus got in.

Would guess they're being highly isolationist in who they let into the country, and requiring them to isolate for 14 days, etc. Plus no one really has any reason to go there.

Apples to watermelon. But it always was.

So let's say that no new outbreaks occur in Sweden, for the rest of the year. Then starting in 2021 they start systematically vaccinating their population, who choose to get the vaccine with high percentage. Meaning they're effectively done with new cases and deaths.

The only valid question is then: relative to Norway and Finland, how much economic damage did they sustain, and what percentage of their population died and/or was hospitalized?

At the end of the day, this will be the story of Sweden: they killed more of their people than they had to, and they still suffered the same economic damage as they would have, otherwise.

Not a story to be proud of.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Many countries have had an outstanding response to Covid -19 (see S. Korea, Ghana and other African countries). Sweden is not one of them.
Ghana (and Africa as a whole) has a life expectancy in the mid to low 60s. They have myriad other problems to worry about.

Likely another year+ to go with this.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Maybe another year until the virus is eradicated. Vaccines with rigorous, scientific proof will be ready to go by the end of the year. Once I'm vaccinated, I'll be good to go and return to normal life. You all too afraid to get it can live your own lives as you see fit.

Livingat45north

Reaction score
Houston's season so far:

• In July, Houston lost its Sept. 12 trip to Washington State when the Pac-12 eliminated all non-conference games.

• In August, Houston’s Sept. 3 home game with Rice was postponed when the Owls decided not to play until Sept. 26.

• On Sept. 12, Houston and Memphis agreed to postpone their Sept. 18 game because of an outbreak of positive COVID-19 tests at Memphis that forced the Tigers to stop practicing.

• On Sept. 18, a hastily added Sept. 19 game at Baylor to fill the open date was canceled because a coronavirus problem prevented the Bears from meeting the Big 12-established minimum for number of players available at a position group.

• On Sept. 23, the new Sept. 26 home opener was canceled because four North Texas players tested positive for coronavirus, and contract tracing sidelined numerous others.

• Their first game is now scheduled for this Thursday against Tulane -- I think at about the same time Hurricane Delta's front edge starts hitting their coastline.

Top Bottom