All Things Cancel Culture

GopherJake

Reaction score
Biden is in cognitive decline.
Definitely. He is way too old for my liking. He forgets names and can lose track of his train of though - he appears over-tired at times. That said, this is most likely due to his advanced age and not necessarily a sign of serious advancing brain degradation. It might be, but it most likely is simply age-related.

If that's the case, it doesn't indicate he is not intelligent or cannot keep up with things enough to run a big operation (in this case, the country). It's a fine line and definitely not ideal. I'll be the first to call for Biden to step down, if it's proven he's in serious, significant mental decline beyond simple old age. I'll take him over the raging idiot we had previously any day of the week. He still appears thoughtful, intelligent and well-meaning to me. And actively trying to solve our country's problems, instead of wasting time owning libs.

howeda7

Reaction score
Denial isn’t just a river in Egypt. It’s true. Biden is in cognitive decline. Only bootlickers fail to see it. Lick lick.
They are shielding him from taking questions. The only question is if the MSM press will force him out or the public. So far, people were so exhausted by Trump and covid that this is a welcome break. Pressure is low. That will change at some point. I personally prefer Biden to Kamala, but I doubt Joe finishes his term.
Trump was/is in cognitive decline and you lived in denial about it. And he was starting from a basis of being an ignorant fool when it came to how to run a government.

Jake's assessment is right. Biden is old. He has his senior moments. He was hardly anyone's first choice for this. But he's 1,000 times better than the ignorant fool in cognitive decline he replaced.

Last edited:

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
Seriously, watch that clip. Not only is it Tucker Carlson bingo, but it's a five year old's logic at work. I broke the window, because you made me angry!

MennoSota

Reaction score
Oral Roberts University is being protested as not deserving to be in the Sweet 16 NCAA basketball tournament.
In the age of social media hot takes, apparently, we aren’t allowed to enjoy good things. Even a good sports story has to become a flashpoint in our ongoing cultural battles.

In what has been called a Cinderella story, Oral Roberts University has made the Sweet 16 in NCAA March Madness. However, some in the crowd have been cheering for them to be banned rather than for them to win.

In the most recent example of cancel culture, the mob has been coming after ORU — mocking their name, history and beliefs as bigoted or homophobic. Some have even gone so far as to call for the NCAA to restrict such Neanderthals from playing, others saying they should be “pariahs, not heroes.”

I spoke to the students of Oral Roberts University in 2019, in the times when we used to gather together in big groups. When I was there, I saw thousands of students passionate about their faith, their education and their desire to make a difference in the world. Such religious faith motivates all kinds of good actions our culture wants, from disaster relief to Eric Talley, the officer who bravely gave his life running into the mass shooting at a King Soopers in Boulder, Colorado, this week.

Yet, the mob has come for these college students. And this is our new reality.

Not just Oral Roberts​

It’s easy to point out the eccentric elements of their history, but President Billy Wilson and the Oral Roberts faculty are well respected and the school is thriving. Yet, it apparently lacks the needed qualifications to play college sports today — a willingness to conform to the new moral dogma.

The dogma teaches that tolerance must mean agreement, then branding all who disagree as intolerant and harmful. Not satisfied that we respect opposing views on human sexuality, all must affirm homosexuality as acceptable within our own theology. There can no longer be any disagreement, only compliance.

This is a stunning 180 from the arguments we heard in 2009 when LGBTQ+ advocates maintained, “All we want is the right to marry. How will my gay marriage hurt you?” Now it’s: “We want your college accreditation, your athletic participation and more.”
Oral Roberts Golden Eagles playing against the Florida Gators on March 21, 2021, in Indianapolis, Indiana.

Oral Roberts Golden Eagles playing against the Florida Gators on March 21, 2021, in Indianapolis, Indiana.
MADDIE MEYER/GETTY IMAGES
Considering how much those who expressed concern a decade ago were mocked for advancing slippery slope arguments, the rhetoric deployed against ORU or in defense of the Equality Act suggests these concerns were underemphasized..

The Equality Act
The calls to remove Oral Roberts from NCAA competition comes against the backdrop of Senate debates over the Equality Act. Proponents of the act want to say the law will just keep the homophobes from harming the rights of LGBTQ+ persons, but that’s neither accurate nor honest. What we are seeing in the news media is what the Equality Act will make into law.
The Council for Christian Colleges & Universities, of which ORU is a member, explains:
"The Equality Act fails to provide essential religious liberty protections that would allow a diverse group of social service and civic institutions to continue to thrive. In particular, as it relates to the sector of faith-based higher education that has religious convictions around marriage, human sexuality and gender, including CCCU institutions, these laws would conflict in ways that would put at risk their ability to hire and operate in accordance with their religious missions and would restrict student choice in an unprecedented way by preventing middle and low income students from being able to take their federal student aid to these institutions. Faith-based higher education has always been an essential element of the diversity of the higher education system in the United States—many of the first colleges and universities in the United States were religious—and it is essential that any protections for LGBT persons be paired with the essential religious freedoms that maximize freedom for all."
Paying NCAA athletes: Female college sports already get short shrift. Paying NCAA athletes will make it worse.
And this means that anyone who holds what is now a minority view on marriage and sexuality will face the new tolerance. That includes (as we were reminded a couple of weeks ago) Catholics, and still includes evangelicals, Mormons, Muslims and so many others.

Moreover, even as popular rhetoric claims the mantle of the civil rights movement, they ignore voices of dissent from religious people of color. Only this past week, prominent African American church leaders wrote a letter to the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee arguing for religious exemptions to the proposed Equality Act. Published by the AND Campaign, led by Justin Giboney, the letter was signed by respected leaders who include James Meeks, Bishop Claude Alexander and Suzan Johnson-Cook.

The new tolerance is not tolerance​

This matters to me because what is happening to Oral Roberts University is coming to all of us who hold to such outdated ideas. I serve as a dean at Wheaton College, an evangelical institution where students commit to a community covenant. We, too, call students to a lifestyle in alignment with our Christian beliefs. We don’t hold quite the same standards as ORU, but ours won’t pass the new tolerance test, either.
I get that it’s easy to pick on Oral Roberts University. But I’d remind my fellow people of faith, nobody will get a pass on these issues if the dogma of new tolerance continues to take hold. So why not take a stand now?
From Chick-fil-A to the Salvation Army to a baker in Colorado, we have to decide whether we want to run everyone out of everywhere they dare go with their biblically based ideas.

March Madness: March Madness is an opportunity for basketball fans to give back. They won't be alone.
Perhaps, instead of such a pendulum swing against people of faith, we could agree that all persons are worthy of dignity and respect, and that civil rights should matter for everyone.
And, maybe, just maybe, we could let the religious college kids play basketball without it becoming a national controversy.
That is what tolerance used to mean.

Spoofin

Reaction score
Trump was/is in cognitive and you lived in denial about it. And he was starting from a basis of being an ignorant fool when it came to how to run a government.

Jake's assessment is right. Biden is old. He has his senior moments. He was hardly anyone's first choice for this. But he's 1,000 times better than the ignorant fool in cognitive decline he replaced.
Drink

stocker08

Reaction score
Definitely. He is way too old for my liking. He forgets names and can lose track of his train of though - he appears over-tired at times. That said, this is most likely due to his advanced age and not necessarily a sign of serious advancing brain degradation. It might be, but it most likely is simply age-related.

If that's the case, it doesn't indicate he is not intelligent or cannot keep up with things enough to run a big operation (in this case, the country). It's a fine line and definitely not ideal. I'll be the first to call for Biden to step down, if it's proven he's in serious, significant mental decline beyond simple old age. I'll take him over the raging idiot we had previously any day of the week. He still appears thoughtful, intelligent and well-meaning to me. And actively trying to solve our country's problems, instead of wasting time owning libs.

Bingo.

Wally

Reaction score
Yeah, I know you don’t understand. Because you don’t understand how the game of Monopoly works. Maybe you should start with Chutes and Ladders.

Maybe you need to learn to express a thought clearly.

Wally

Reaction score
Trump was/is in cognitive and you lived in denial about it. And he was starting from a basis of being an ignorant fool when it came to how to run a government.

I think its stupid to elect anyone 70 or older.

stocker08

Reaction score
You just never give up, get your estrogen checked, I think its probably thru the roof.

You should never speak about the guy (Trump) that the republican party was ready to overthrow democracy for. Nope. The shameful repubs prefer for everyone to act like it never happened....just like they do.

Spoofin

Reaction score
You just never give up, get your estrogen checked, I think its probably thru the roof.
As soon as Howie stops mentioning him. Every. F’in. Day. Over. And. Over. I’ll stop drinking. I’m committed to the game tho.

atsgopher

Reaction score
Perfectly good reason for why he does not deserve to be glorified with a bust at the TN Capitol.

Hope that glorification gets removed.

The history is the history. It will continue to exist, unchanged, there to research for anyone who cares to.
Not a good reason when you understand that it didn’t start out as the organization that it became. It had benign beginnings.

When he saw the tactics being employed, he tried to “cancel it.” He ordered for all their shit to get burned. He disbanded the group and he then offered to fight (actually fight) against lynch mobs....

I find this is more a reason to research and learn why one should or shouldn’t be revered.

Conversely, I always hated the reverence the Confederacy receives. There are reasons to take down the bust. However, you still are advocating removal of an actual anti-racist (in the 1870s) because a lot of people didn’t do their homework.

He was an anti racist when it was exceptionally inconvenient, and actually deadly. It meant he would lose money and business and prestige. Cannot say that about any person doing that today.

Section2

Reaction score

There is no comparison between Trump and Biden in terms of cognitive decline. They are both old. They both have senior moments. But Biden is a shell of what he was just 5 years ago.
1000x better just depends on your objectives. I don’t at all feel comfortable that he’s a puppet and his entire cabinet is radical leftist activists. He’s not running the show.
hate him or not, Trump was in charge. I don’t think there is a precedent for a Biden presidency. And we’re gonna spend $5T on top of normal spending his first year. But he doesn’t say mean stuff so all good.

Section2

Reaction score
Maybe you need to learn to express a thought clearly.
Son posted the rules and explanations of the game. Not clear enough for you! Maybe you should abandon thread before you destroy more of your credibility.

GopherJake

Reaction score
There is no comparison between Trump and Biden in terms of cognitive decline. They are both old. They both have senior moments. But Biden is a shell of what he was just 5 years ago.
1000x better just depends on your objectives. I don’t at all feel comfortable that he’s a puppet and his entire cabinet is radical leftist activists. He’s not running the show.
hate him or not, Trump was in charge. I don’t think there is a precedent for a Biden presidency. And we’re gonna spend $5T on top of normal spending his first year. But he doesn’t say mean stuff so all good.
Mm-kay, Snowflake.

Plausible Deniability

Coffee is for closers
Reaction score
But he doesn’t say mean stuff so all good.
I've heard this is key. Extremely important.

As far as Sleepy Joe, it doesn't have much to do with being old. One of my good personal friends is an 84-yr old attorney that is infinitely sharper than Joe. What's being done to Biden, essentially elderly abuse on a grand scale, is really shameful

GopherJake

Reaction score

As far as Sleepy Joe, it doesn't have much to do with being old. One of my good personal friends is an 84-yr old attorney that is infinitely sharper than Joe. What's being done to Biden, essentially elderly abuse on a grand scale, is really shameful
Lay out your case. Oh, you know an 84 year old that is sharper than a 78 year old (or whatever Joe is)? No fucking way. Case closed. Get him out of office. PossiblyAPedophile has an anecdotal case, so, q.e.d.

Section2

Reaction score

If you have a family member with dementia, you recognize it instantly. I hope he can hang on to fulfill his term but I doubt it. Dems will 25th amendment him at some point.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Not a good reason when you understand that it didn’t start out as the organization that it became. It had benign beginnings.

When he saw the tactics being employed, he tried to “cancel it.” He ordered for all their shit to get burned. He disbanded the group and he then offered to fight (actually fight) against lynch mobs....

I find this is more a reason to research and learn why one should or shouldn’t be revered.

Conversely, I always hated the reverence the Confederacy receives. There are reasons to take down the bust. However, you still are advocating removal of an actual anti-racist (in the 1870s) because a lot of people didn’t do their homework.

He was an anti racist when it was exceptionally inconvenient, and actually deadly. It meant he would lose money and business and prestige. Cannot say that about any person doing that today.
Firstly: solid post, and solid argument for the defense. Give that to you all day. Thanks

Bolded: what "this"? A bust at the Capitol? Hmmm ... would it actually? I find this line of reasoning mostly to feel like an excuse, and potentially a dishonest one, concocted by the "anti-removal" crowd.

Not saying you specifically, in this specific case. I do believe you here, you seem pretty passionate about it.

That said, I don't believe for a second that most people would agree that a bust of Forrest would be included in, e.g. an "anti-racist" exhibit at a museum. I could be wrong. But I don't believe it, currently.

Because, for hypothetical example (and not saying this is equivalent to Forrest, at all, it's just coming off the top of my head): if Hitler suddenly had had a change of heart and tried to end the Nazi's and the war, at the risk of his own life ..... he wouldn't be included in any anti-Semitic discrimination honorary discussions. Like I said, that is likely far more extreme/drastic than Forrest's case ... but it felt along a similar axis.

At the end of the day, despite your strong arguments, if I'm on the jury I still vote for removal. And I think most agree with me.

GoodasGold

Reaction score
A bust in the hand, a bust in the mouth a bush in the hand - far better than a bust in the capital.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
I'll take him over the raging idiot we had previously any day of the week. He still appears thoughtful, intelligent and well-meaning to me. And actively trying to solve our country's problems, instead of wasting time owning libs.
Since this is a thread on cancel culture and the minority of progressives and conservatives practicing it, the elephant in the room is Biden’s hypocrisy:

College kid accused of sexual assault: “ have to believe the woman”
Biden, Cuomo accused of sexual assault: “ have to wait for the investigation” or “wrong, never happened”.

He is not thoughtful, intelligent, or well-meaning, or at least in any way recognizable to those that aren’t on the political fringes. He’s a hack politician willing to say or do anything to gain and retain power. Hypocrite.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Rules of Monopoly - just to settle this.....

When you land on a property that is owned by another player, the owner collects rent from you in accordance with the list printed on its Title Deed card.

It is an advantage to hold all the Title Deed cards in a color-group because the owner may then charge double rent for unimproved properties in that color-group.
It is more advantageous to have houses or hotels on properties because then rents become much higher.
When a player owns all the properties in a color-group, he or she may buy houses from the Bank.

You may buy as many houses as your judgment and financial standing will allow, but you cannot erect more than one house on any one property of any color-group until you have built one house on every property of that group.

The price you must pay the Bank for each house is shown on your Title Deed card for the property on which you erect the house.

When a player has four houses on each property of a complete color-group, they may buy a hotel from the Bank and erect it on any property of the color-group. Only one hotel may be erected on any one property.

What are the “pandemic rules“, or Monopoly: Bolshevik Edition.

RememberMurray

Reaction score
He is not thoughtful, intelligent, or well-meaning, or at least in any way recognizable to those that aren’t on the political fringes. He’s a hack politician willing to say or do anything to gain and retain power. Hypocrite.

Well, the bolded part is certainly true. Remember last January 6, when Joe Biden was so desperate to retain power he actually sent a violent mob of his crazed minions marching up Pennsylvania Avenue to attack the Capitol, in order to stop the certification of a free and fair election? Man, that was insane! Talk about being "willing to say or do anything to gain and retain power"! A textbook example, right there.

Oh... wait...

... that wasn't Biden;

that was the other guy! The orange guy!

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Well, the bolded part is certainly true. Remember last January 6, when Joe Biden was so desperate to retain power he actually sent a violent mob of his crazed minions marching up Pennsylvania Avenue to attack the Capitol, in order to stop the certification of a free and fair election? Man, that was insane! Talk about being "willing to say or do anything to gain and retain power"! A textbook example, right there.

Oh... wait...

... that wasn't Biden;

that was the other guy! The orange guy!

Ridiculous dodge of the argument. You should be embarrassed. I’m on record as not being pro-Trump or what happened at the riot.

Does anyone want to engage on Biden’s hypocrisy or offer a thoughtful defense for the different standard?

RememberMurray

Reaction score
Ridiculous dodge of the argument. You should be embarrassed. I’m on record as not being pro-Trump or what happened at the riot.

Does anyone want to engage on Biden’s hypocrisy or offer a thoughtful defense for the different standard?

Okay, enough about January 6. I can see you don't want to talk about it, even though it is a perfect example of a ruthless politician willing to do anything to retain power — which is a subject you brought up, not me.

I'll bite; I want to hear about all the ruthless, despicable things Biden has done to retain power. Then we'll compare.

scools12

Reaction score
He still appears thoughtful, intelligent and well-meaning to me. And actively trying to solve our country's problems, instead of wasting time owning libs.
That’s what he’s doing? Actively trying to ram through an agenda that half the country doesn’t support is trying to solve the country’s problems? The left wasn’t given a mandate by the voting public to install their socialist agenda.

You leftist morons nothing but mindless sheep.

Last edited:
Top Bottom