All Things Cancel Culture

Wally

Reaction score
Individual instances do not equal systemic racism. It can’t be seen. That’s the point.

I don't like that term because of its ambiguity. Its not a term I would use in general.

Wally

Reaction score
So you agree with me. Cool.

Yes I agree on that term in general. There are many instances in the past where the term was more applicable and the legacy of that lives on.

For the most part, I find it problematic as a descriptor of society today

golfing18now

Reaction score
Attack the messanger.
Pathetic
Wow Wally. Really just meant to be a sarcastic good-natured jab at Broke’s sources. He has many and likely won’t run out. I’ll try to include sarcasm emoji next time to make it clearer.

You don’t need to fight every battle on here Wally. Your team will still keep you on it. Have a good rest of your day. 👍

Wally

Reaction score
Wow Wally. Really just meant to be a sarcastic good-natured jab at Broke’s sources. He has many and likely won’t run out. I’ll try to include sarcasm emoji next time to make it clearer.

You don’t need to fight every battle on here Wally. Your team will still keep you on it. Have a good rest of your day. 👍

Sorry, didn't come thru in the post.
👍

Donovan

Reaction score
Usually when you advertise something you at least give people a feel for what it contains.
I provided the link to the book on Amazon, I figured folks could click on that and read the summary there and see customer reviews. Yes the book is about cancel culture, but it’s deeper than that.

Speaking of reviews, there are over 1,900 and an impressive star rating. Usually books that take on a topic with political overtones get bashed by one side or the other who’ve never read the book with 1-star reviews to spoil the rating. Apparently that hasn’t happened with this book:
94EC318A-FE9D-42AD-B25C-07C385CF26F1.jpeg

cncmin

Reaction score
I provided the link to the book on Amazon, I figured folks could click on that and read the summary there and see customer reviews. Yes the book is about cancel culture, but it’s deeper than that.

Speaking of reviews, there are over 1,900 and an impressive star rating. Usually books that take on a topic with political overtones get bashed by one side or the other who’ve never read the book with 1-star reviews to spoil the rating. Apparently that hasn’t happened with this book:
View attachment 12100
Thanks. For all I know it is very good. Can you share what takeaways you had from it and why you enjoyed it so much?

Donovan

Reaction score
Thanks. For all I know it is very good. Can you share what takeaways you had from it and why you enjoyed it so much?
One of the things I found very interesting was reading views from folks who had grown up in repressive countries and how they are observing familiar problems metastasizing in the west. You read about how the loss of liberties start small and often with arguably good intention. A section is called “The Gentleness of Soft Totalitarianism.”

The author is clear to differentiate the fact the U.S. Constitution provides protections, but demonstrates the dangers big tech and social media pose.

I also like how he incorporates and weaves in themes of Orwell’s “1984” and Aldous Huxley’s “A Brave New World.”

Despite being a pretty fast read, I’m about halfway through because it’s not the only thing I’m currently reading.

atsgopher

Reaction score
Forrest did not found the KKK. He was its Grand Wizard for a year. Then, he disbanded it and ordered all robes, hoods, etc destroyed, because they were engaging in despicable behaviors.

A few years hence He also defended some lynched black men, trying to organize a militia to basically lynch the lynchers. The Gov of TN or LA (forgot which) turned him down.

One of the last things he was known for was an anti-racist speech which concluded with him kissing and black woman that gave him a bouquet for his words. He was I think decried for that vs the anti-racist stance. As they thiught it an offense to white women. Even though the kiss would have been platonic.

I could probably make a decent argument to cancel Bedford Forrest. Wellman can’t and doesn’t. I would probably make a far better argument that men like him that reform are far more useful discussing actual history vs the progressive version.

Spoofin

Reaction score
Forrest did not found the KKK. He was its Grand Wizard for a year. Then, he disbanded it and ordered all robes, hoods, etc destroyed, because they were engaging in despicable behaviors.

A few years hence He also defended some lynched black men, trying to organize a militia to basically lynch the lynchers. The Gov of TN or LA (forgot which) turned him down.

One of the last things he was known for was an anti-racist speech which concluded with him kissing and black woman that gave him a bouquet for his words. He was I think decried for that vs the anti-racist stance. As they thiught it an offense to white women. Even though the kiss would have been platonic.

I could probably make a decent argument to cancel Bedford Forrest. Wellman can’t and doesn’t. I would probably make a far better argument that men like him that reform are far more useful discussing actual history vs the progressive version.
Not long ago the D’s here were defending a former KKK leader that became a senator because he admitted his wrongs and asked for forgiveness. This seems rather similar 🤷‍♂️

Wally

Reaction score
One of the things I found very interesting was reading views from folks who had grown up in repressive countries and how they are observing familiar problems metastasizing in the west. You read about how the loss of liberties start small and often with arguably good intention. A section is called “The Gentleness of Soft Totalitarianism.”

The author is clear to differentiate the fact the U.S. Constitution provides protections, but demonstrates the dangers big tech and social media pose.

I also like how he incorporates and weaves in themes of Orwell’s “1984” and Aldous Huxley’s “A Brave New World.”

Despite being a pretty fast read, I’m about halfway through because it’s not the only thing I’m currently reading.

None of it will matter either way once the 1% own everything.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
Don't change Monopoly. Keep it as the boring game nobody ever finished.

Wally

Reaction score

Monopoly will let consumers vote on its new Community Chest Cards, so that the cards better reflect what community means to people in 2021.

OMG, Another rigged Election 😱😱😱

Stop The Steal!!!!!!!

cncmin

Reaction score

I'm curious how you feel about what you stated here and how that compares to the previous administration. Care to share?

Wally

Reaction score
I'm curious how you feel about what you stated here and how that compares to the previous administration. Care to share?

He is being oppressed by the media.
🤣🤣🤣

Donovan

Reaction score
As much as I have little to no respect for much of the mainstream media, I did not approve of Trump’s description that they are “the enemy of the people.” Anything you specifically have in mind from the Trump administration?

stocker08

Reaction score

Change 'Oriental Avenue' to 'Newark Alley' and change the 'Win Beauty Contest: Collect $15' community chest card to 'Win Spelling Bee: Collect Self-Respect'.

Wally

Reaction score
An anti capitalist game that teaches wrong economics. If you own more houses, you can charge higher rent!

You don't think you collect more rent if you have more rental units in general?

Go4Broke

Reaction score
Fox News just got cancelled in Joe Biden's first press conference today. LOL ...

Last edited:

Section2

Reaction score
You don't think you collect more rent if you have more rental units in general?
Per unit? Perhaps you don’t understand this child’s game. The point is that if you have a monopoly, you can charge more. This is not the case.

Top Bottom