All Things Cancel Culture

jamiche

Reaction score
Incorrect. Only two words were capitalized for emphasis. I could bold, underline or italicize instead. But that wouldn’t give you a meaningless thing to argue about, would it? Your immense anger and envy needs a healthy outlet, and that’s what I provide for you.
Since it was written by you and given your history, we know it was yelling. Also, since it was written by you and given your history, it was lazy. You don't have a better way to express yourself when you are all revved up than all caps.

Section2

Reaction score
Since it was written by you and given your history, we know it was yelling. Also, since it was written by you and given your history, it was lazy. You don't have a better way to express yourself when you are all revved up than all caps.
This is what’s known as projecting. I’m not revved at you or Joe Biden. You are both feeble and sad. You deserve pity.

jamiche

Reaction score
This is what’s known as projecting. I’m not revved at you or Joe Biden. You are both feeble and sad. You deserve pity.
In terms of projecting, you often talk that way about Biden. He’s the POTUS who just passed the most significant piece of legislation in two generations in his first sixty days in office. You are a guy who gets manipulated easily by half a dozen folks every day on an obscure message board. Good adjectives, wrong folks.

stocker08

Reaction score

Deuce has been on a total posting tear the past several months. Complete Biden Derangement Syndrome going on there. But he's not alone. Most of the righties have have totally lost their minds.

cncmin

Reaction score
I would answer your question two ways.

On the one hand, I do believe the apology tour that has been required for people that fall outside of certain thought is a real problem. I know freedom of speech has limitations (yelling fire in a movie theater) but this is pretty foundational for me. Some of the things people have been required to apologize for has been ridiculous. Inciting violence and posing with a President's severed head probably cross the line for me but offering resistance to some of the idiotic policy direction this year does not. I don't know anything about British politics or Pierz Morgan but I did happen to catch his response 24 hours after walking off his show when he said "freedom of speech is a hill I'm willing to die on". I give him a ton of credit for that viewpoint. I hope we see more of that.

On the other hand, the overreaction by corporations to appease the woke mob probably doesn't require 24 hour coverage. They are making those changes of their own free will -- I have acknowledged that. I don't have answers for this either but does any of this make sense to you?
  1. Removing the Mr. from Potato Head because it is disparaging to women but then applauding two women singing about "Wet Ass Pussy". This is the messaging I should be citing for my daughers?
  2. Worrying about how Ms. Piggy treats Kermit the Frog on PBS but then allowing my kids to play any of a number of video games full of actual violence. I'm not calling for the banishment of video games but seems a little misguided to me.
  3. Worrying about how Peppy Le Pue (sp?), Dr. Seuss books, Disney song lyrics, etc. and their messaging but not paying attention to much of the rap lyrics consumed today. I'm also not calling for the banishment of rap music but again seems a little misguided to me.
  4. If my 5 year old boy doesn't want to play with trucks (assuming they aren't taken off the shelf for being too masculine) should I immediately assume his gender was "assigned incorrectly" at birth and start hormone therapy? Or if I don't believe this is correct, do we really have people in government that believe my 5 year old knows better?
  5. On the defunding police issue....imagine actually believing the biggest problem that minorities face in inner cities in particular is police brutality and not addressing the real issues -- gangs, drugs, violence, crime, poverty, etc etc.
  6. I could on and on.
I apologize for this post going a little off the rails. But the policy direction in 2020 has been beyond idiotic in my mind. Pure lunacy in some cases. The party that reigns this in and gets back to attempting to solve real problems with real solutions will get my next vote.
Overall this is a great post and I agree with each nuanced point you make. Again, to reiterate, it's not just you or FNC viewers that find these things hypocritical or ridiculous, but it's "capitalistic" society itself pulling the strings and there's no good reason to make these things into some culture war that tears us apart.

So I ask you, what is more damaging to us as a society - that people overreact to silly things and we continually lose things sentimental to us for, sometimes, silly reasons; or that there is an extremely divisive culture war manufactured over this subject? Asked a bit differently, do you honestly believe that if none of these specific things you listed above were true, that FNC wouldn't be manufacturing some other culture war? They have done this for decades to the tune of massive monetary and political power gains. FNC would just manufacture some other "crisis" to jazz up the emotions of their watchers.

Last edited:

howeda7

Reaction score
Now the “leftist " media is trying to make a scandal out of Biden going home to Delaware too much during a pandemic. They miss Trump.

Wally

Reaction score
Great piece on woke culture from Bari Weiss:

The Miseducation of America’s Elites​

Affluent parents, terrified of running afoul of the new orthodoxy in their children’s private schools, organize in secret.

So oppressed....
🤣

Donovan

Reaction score
I highly recommend the book “Live Not By Lies.” I think any non leftist will find it very enlightening. It has amazing insights on today’s cancel culture.

Nax5

Reaction score
I highly recommend the book “Live Not By Lies.” I think any non leftist will find it very enlightening. It has amazing insights on today’s cancel culture.
Certainly a bad time to be a dogmatic Christian. The rest of us will be fine, though.

Donovan

Reaction score
Any book written by a RWer accusing others of "lies" must be precious, indeed.
The author was a never-Trumper. But, I understand most on the left will steer clear of this book, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Wally

Reaction score
She wanted them cancelled..
😯😯

PA mom sent deepfakes of daughter’s cheerleading rivals to coaches: DA​

Raffaela Spone, 50, was charged with cyber harassment of a child and stands accused of creating the completely false snaps, which show the kids drinking, smoking and in the nude, authorities said.

The false images, which are so expertly manipulated they’re known as “deepfakes,” were also sent to at least three girls on the Victory Vipers cheerleading team, with messages urging the youngsters to commit suicide

cncmin

Reaction score
The author was a never-Trumper. But, I understand most on the left will still clear of this book, unfortunately.
Feel free to provide the synopsis and let's judge the intent.

cncmin

Reaction score
Indeed. Throughout my life, Cancel Culture was strongly pushed by "Conservatives". Movies like Footloose weren't exactly based on denouncing liberalism.

And I want to make it clear, cancel culture largely sucks as a whole. It's not just the extreme Conservatives pushing Cancel Culture, the extreme liberals do it too. The problem is that one side is literally creating an extremely divisive culture war over the subject and acting sanctimonious when reality suggests they are a huge part of the overall problem and just as bad, if not worse, than the side they are attacking.

Wally

Reaction score
Indeed. Throughout my life, Cancel Culture was strongly pushed by "Conservatives". Movies like Footloose weren't exactly based on denouncing liberalism.

And I want to make it clear, cancel culture largely sucks as a whole. It's not just the extreme Conservatives pushing Cancel Culture, the extreme liberals do it too. The problem is that one side is literally creating an extremely divisive culture war over the subject and acting sanctimonious when reality suggests they are a huge part of the overall problem and just as bad, if not worse, than the side they are attacking.

The whole thing is overblown tho.

An author or book rights owner deciding its in their interest to stop publishing a book is not cancel culture.

A toy changing its name to be more inclusive is not cancel culture.

Someone spewing racism getting fired from their job really isn't cancel culture. If I go on social media and say my boss is an asshole and the company I work for is evil and they fire me, is that cancel culture? What about my free speech?

Sure in a few cases things have gone overboard. That's life, it isn't always fair. I would be totally open to expanding peoples rights in employment, schooling ect.

But you know who is strongly against that, yep conservatives. They want a business to be able to fire someone for any reason and by extension a college to be able to expell someone for any reason. They want a business to be able to deny service for any reason.

Yet now they have this cognitive dissonance when it seems people with their values suffer the consequences. Somehow the idea that the rights they hold sacrosanct could be used against them makes their heads explode.

That is why I find this so hilarious. The ones who fight for the right to fuck people over are now on the wrong end.

Any righties here want to comment on my post?

golfing18now

Reaction score
Overall this is a great post and I agree with each nuanced point you make. Again, to reiterate, it's not just you or FNC viewers that find these things hypocritical or ridiculous, but it's "capitalistic" society itself pulling the strings and there's no good reason to make these things into some culture war that tears us apart.

So I ask you, what is more damaging to us as a society - that people overreact to silly things and we continually lose things sentimental to us for, sometimes, silly reasons; or that there is an extremely divisive culture war manufactured over this subject? Asked a bit differently, do you honestly believe that if none of these specific things you listed above were true, that FNC wouldn't be manufacturing some other culture war? They have done this for decades to the tune of massive monetary and political power gains. FNC would just manufacture some other "crisis" to jazz up the emotions of their watchers.

I would agree with your first paragraph. I think we both agree on the impetus for these changes and the right of "capitalistic" society to pull the strings. However, I'm glad to hear some common sense coming from some of the left leaning posters on this site regarding some of this lunacy. It does become difficult at times to wade through the "snowflake" and "victim" pot shots levied by some posters on this issue to get actual opinions.

Regarding your second paragraph, I would say this......you are correct on the hierarchy of issues that need to get resolved. Corporations capitulating to a woke mob but making changes of their own free will is probably not at the top of our society's problems. (I would still characterize free speech in a different category). We just happen to be talking about cancel culture in general because that is the topic of this particular thread. I would also agree with you that FNC has likely used this to generate clicks or monetary gains and Republicans will be more than willing to latch onto the idiocy of cancel culture to generate support. But FNC and Republicans aren't alone in this. Isn't that where we are at in politics and media at this moment in time? Do you deny Democrats didn't latch on to a handful of police killings to portray a much larger portrayal of "systemic racism" in our society to generate support and clicks? This is not intended to be a "yeah but" post. I think media and politics have done a huge disservice to our society through overgeneralization, embellishment, and lumping in large groups of individuals based on the actions of a few (e.g. Trump supporters are all insurrectionists, police officers are all systemically racist, protesters are all rioters, "the right", "the left"). It has made us a more divisive society. Blame resides on both sides of the aisle for this dynamic, in my opinion.

cncmin

Reaction score
I would agree with your first paragraph. I think we both agree on the impetus for these changes and the right of "capitalistic" society to pull the strings. However, I'm glad to hear some common sense coming from some of the left leaning posters on this site regarding some of this lunacy. It does become difficult at times to wade through the "snowflake" and "victim" pot shots levied by some posters on this issue to get actual opinions.

Regarding your second paragraph, I would say this......you are correct on the hierarchy of issues that need to get resolved. Corporations capitulating to a woke mob but making changes of their own free will is probably not at the top of our society's problems. (I would still characterize free speech in a different category). We just happen to be talking about cancel culture in general because that is the topic of this particular thread. I would also agree with you that FNC has likely used this to generate clicks or monetary gains and Republicans will be more than willing to latch onto the idiocy of cancel culture to generate support. But FNC and Republicans aren't alone in this. Isn't that where we are at in politics and media at this moment in time? Do you deny Democrats didn't latch on to a handful of police killings to portray a much larger portrayal of "systemic racism" in our society to generate support and clicks? This is not intended to be a "yeah but" post. I think media and politics have done a huge disservice to our society through overgeneralization, embellishment, and lumping in large groups of individuals based on the actions of a few (e.g. Trump supporters are all insurrectionists, police officers are all systemically racist, protesters are all rioters, "the right", "the left"). It has made us a more divisive society. Blame resides on both sides of the aisle for this dynamic, in my opinion.
I agree with everything you said here (I think). I have expressed similar sentiments elsewhere on this board. Nice, well written post.

Wally

Reaction score
Do you deny Democrats didn't latch on to a handful of police killings to portray a much larger portrayal of "systemic racism" in our society to generate support and clicks?
Only reason I talk about systenic racism or racism in general is because I see it.

cncmin

Reaction score
Give Mr Science the cliffs notes! He doesn’t want to hear the message.
Usually when you advertise something you at least give people a feel for what it contains.

cncmin

Reaction score
He said it’s about cancel culture. See no evil, hear no evil.
It's an entire book. Wouldn't one have to purchase it, as well as sit down for hours or days to read it?

Wally

Reaction score
You “see” systemic racism? Interesting.

Well I see racism.
And yes I see systemic racism of black people by my local police force. It has gotten marginally better since they killed Philando Castillo. Before that when I saw someone pulled over they were Black by a large margin, in an area that really doesn't have many Black people at all.

The partner of the P that shot Philando was in my back yard with his gun out. I am pretty sure he was the reason they were in my yard and I hope he is rotting.

Section2

Reaction score
Well I see racism.
And yes I see systemic racism of black people by my local police force. It has gotten marginally better since they killed Philando Castillo. Before that when I saw someone pulled over they were Black by a large margin, in an area that really doesn't have many Black people at all.

The partner of the P that shot Philando was in my back yard with his gun out. I am pretty sure he was the reason they were in my yard and I hope he is rotting.
Individual instances do not equal systemic racism. It can’t be seen. That’s the point.

Top Bottom