All Things Cancel Culture

mnsportsgeek

Reaction score
When your side is comprised of whackadoos like Jamie Goodall, you should be prepared for there to be some blowback and disagreement, don't you think? You think most Dems are on board with stuff like this?

Push to change the name of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers
When do we cancel Johnny Depp for romanticizing pirates? I have friends who became pirates because of his portrayal. Another friend married one. Oh, we already cancelled him. Good nevermind.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
They should replace the image with Somali pirates for diversity.

Wally

Reaction score
So you think the real snowflakes are the individuals complaining about changing the name of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as opposed to those that actually think we need to change the name of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers or those that actually get offended by the name of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers?

At some point, we might want to quit finding victims in everything we do. Don't you think?
I think anyone who cares about the Tampa bay Buccaneers name on either side is rediculous.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
1st - Jim Jordan - according to multiple accounts - knew that the OSU wrestling team physician was sexually abusing athletes and did nothing about it. He is a total POS.

on cancel culture - I am a Democrat, and I think cancel culture is going too far. Just like the early days of the Me Too movement when Al Franken was forced out of the US Senate because he posed for a stupid picture BEFORE he got into politics.

Same thing with firing Gina Carano from "The Mandalorian." Yeah, she said something that some people found offensive. I still don't think that means she should lose her job. Whatever happened to given people second chances?

Like it or not, free speech means people have the right to say things that other people might find offensive.

we are now at a point where "free speech" means "free only if you agree with me." Just like students on college campuses trying to prevent guest speakers from appearing without even hearing what they have to say.

and of course, it all gets funneled through the political prism. A lot of the pressure for cancel culture is coming from the left - and whether they realize it or not, it makes the left look intolerant.

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score
1st - Jim Jordan - according to multiple accounts - knew that the OSU wrestling team physician was sexually abusing athletes and did nothing about it. He is a total POS.

on cancel culture - I am a Democrat, and I think cancel culture is going too far. Just like the early days of the Me Too movement when Al Franken was forced out of the US Senate because he posed for a stupid picture BEFORE he got into politics.

Same thing with firing Gina Carano from "The Mandalorian." Yeah, she said something that some people found offensive. I still don't think that means she should lose her job. Whatever happened to given people second chances?

Like it or not, free speech means people have the right to say things that other people might find offensive.

we are now at a point where "free speech" means "free only if you agree with me." Just like students on college campuses trying to prevent guest speakers from appearing without even hearing what they have to say. and of course, it all gets funneled through the political prism. A lot of the pressure for cancel culture is coming from the left - and whether they realize it or not, it makes the left look intolerant.
No second chances unless you are Justin Trudeau or Ralph Northam. The craziest second chance in the world is Alex Rodriguez. He cheated for years playing baseball, lied about it for years, finally broke down and admitted it while pretend crying. He then married a superstar after being forced out of baseball and is not the face of Sunday night baseball on espn while trying to buy a baseball organization.

Wally

Reaction score
No second chances unless you are Justin Trudeau or Ralph Northam. The craziest second chance in the world is Alex Rodriguez. He cheated for years playing baseball, lied about it for years, finally broke down and admitted it while pretend crying. He then married a superstar after being forced out of baseball and is not the face of Sunday night baseball on espn while trying to buy a baseball organization.
I will watch baseball once they quit testing for steroids. What a joke.

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score
I will watch baseball once they quit testing for steroids. What a joke.
Thye have bigger issues in baseball than steroids or greenies, like putting the ball in play. It is just such a boring game to watch and now they have taken the surprise of a home run away by allowing everyone I. The league to hit 30 a year.

Plausible Deniability

Coffee is for closers
Reaction score

we are now at a point where "free speech" means "free only if you agree with me." Just like students on college campuses trying to prevent guest speakers from appearing without even hearing what they have to say.

and of course, it all gets funneled through the political prism. A lot of the pressure for cancel culture is coming from the left - and whether they realize it or not, it makes the left look intolerant.
Very well said, SON.

I don't expect you to escape these types of reasonable comments from some of the lefty brethren. Prepare yourself.

Plausible Deniability

Coffee is for closers
Reaction score
Marv Albert!! Biting women for years, still back at it behind the microphone. Impressive feat!

GoodasGold

Reaction score
Rush Limbaugh was a quality pretend cryer; right up there with the tele-evangelists. Remember when he was caught with his hand in the opioid jar? Cry wimper sob sob poor poor me. Marvelous performance! 👏

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score
Rush Limbaugh was a quality pretend cryer; right up there with the tele-evangelists. Remember when he was caught with his hand in the opioid jar? Cry wimper sob sob poor poor me. Marvelous performance! 👏
It was as good as Frey’s crying when he was kicked out of the Geroege Floyd area.

howeda7

Reaction score
The funny thing is Republicans think businesses should be able to fire people for any reason, but then they rail against cancel culture which is businesses exercising the very rights Republicans extoll.
They because they don't want businesses to be able to fire for any reason, just any reason they personally approve of.

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
I'm still worried about the war on Christmas.
I've been waging a pre-emptive war against the war on Christmas by lighting our lights all winter. Not gonna shoot until I see the whites of the San Francisco liberals' eyes.

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score

This is just stupid. Part of the problem comes from the fact that news papers find 3 anonymous people on Twitter that complain about something and run with it. The news therefore makes what is not a story into a story as more people here about it and the snowball continues to grow. This is just stupid.

Attachments

Section2

Reaction score
I think anyone who cares about the Tampa bay Buccaneers name on either side is rediculous.
Wait, it’s ridiculous to think the name is fine and shouldn’t be changed? Why? I have a lot of problems with sports mascots. Namely, every team name since about 1990.
wild, heat, raptors, grizzlies, thrashers, ducks, predators, magic. There is something magical about the old names. Especially baseball. Sox, Yankees, Dodgers. They don’t make em like they used to.
Valpo is getting rid of the name “crusaders” too.

Section2

Reaction score

This is just stupid. Part of the problem comes from the fact that news papers find 3 anonymous people on Twitter that complain about something and run with it. The news therefore makes what is not a story into a story as more people here about it and the snowball continues to grow. This is just stupid.
Yes! The media is the enemy of the people.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
I've been waging a pre-emptive war against the war on Christmas by lighting our lights all winter. Not gonna shoot until I see the whites of the San Francisco liberals' eyes.
Mine are solar, and still up. Partly because they are frozen in and don’t have an accessible off switch.

golfing18now

Reaction score
Oh yes, mostly definitely! The complainers are the bigger snowflakes.

Some random historian writes an op-ed about romanticizing pirates, and the true snowflakes get all in a huff and twist it into a "push to cancel the Buccaneers". Did you actually read her article? She asks a broader question of why we romanticize pirates using the Super Bowl the backdrop but also looks at the history of Tampa and pop culture like Pirates of the Caribbean. I don't think she actually said they should change the name, just asks a broader question.

So easily triggered...
3 reactions to your post.

1. Is writing an opinion on a message board equivalent to getting "triggered"? I was using the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as an example as it was brought up in this thread. It could have been many other examples of slogans, syrup labels, sports figures, whatever.

2. Even among the left-leaning posters on this site, very few actually come out supporting all this garbage. The only real comments are to attack righties that offer up another opinion as "snowflakes" or "getting triggered". Even @Wally, not exactly a Republican hack, thought this latest example was a joke. Look to SON's post on this topic later in this thread for a very well thought out post.

3. The supposedly altruistic wokeness wave we have been riding this year is exactly what it is supposedly fighting against. It's divisive, dismissive, and condescending towards those it is meant to protect.

I've been married to a Jewish girl for over 25 years, had a black neighbor for ten whose daughter plays extensively with mine, have worked quite regularly with a gay co-worker (not sure of the sexual preference of my other co-workers as I have not asked for nor had sex with any of them) and worked under a female for 14 of the last 15 years of my professional life. Until this year, I rarely thought about the characteristics I just cited. Now I'm wondering to whom to I owe my greatest apology for my oppression. So many religious, racial, sexual orientation, and gender victims......

Wally

Reaction score
Wait, it’s ridiculous to think the name is fine and shouldn’t be changed? Why? I have a lot of problems with sports mascots. Namely, every team name since about 1990.
wild, heat, raptors, grizzlies, thrashers, ducks, predators, magic. There is something magical about the old names. Especially baseball. Sox, Yankees, Dodgers. They don’t make em like they used to.
Valpo is getting rid of the name “crusaders” too.
If a business wants to change its name its absurd for me to give a shit. Don't you agree?

Wally

Reaction score
Until this year, I rarely thought about the characteristics I just cited. Now I'm wondering to whom to I owe my greatest apology for my oppression. So many religious, racial, sexual orientation, and gender victims......
Your over thinking it.
LOL

Everyone deserves to be treated with respect. You do that and none of this affects you, so why get upset. It doesn't make sense.

Section2

Reaction score
Your over thinking it.
LOL

Everyone deserves to be treated with respect. You do that and none of this affects you, so why get upset. It doesn't make sense.
That’s your head in the sand. This will affect everyone at some point.

golfing18now

Reaction score
Your over thinking it.
LOL

Not really over thinking it. I'm using sensationalism to a certain degree, no doubt enhanced last night by watching another Gophers road loss, to prove a point about how ridiculous this has all become. The corporate re-branding or walking back comments by many (Drew Brees, for example) are not organic. They are only intended to appease the woke mob that has decided white males are the source of all problems, a group using an orchestrated effort to oppress others.

My primary objection to it all is twofold. One.....I don't think "forced" mainstream thought is a good thing under any circumstances. Second.....I don't think any of this will have any real impact. It's not seeing the forest for the trees.

See you at the next meeting Wally.

Wally

Reaction score
One.....I don't think "forced" mainstream thought is a good thing under any circumstances.
There has ALWAYS been forced mainstream thought. If you don't fall into a narrow band of acceptable thoughts and actions you get ostracized. Society has ALWAYS been this way.

golfing18now

Reaction score
There has ALWAYS been forced mainstream thought. If you don't fall into a narrow band of acceptable thoughts and actions you get ostracized. Society has ALWAYS been this way.
Not to this degree.

Wally

Reaction score
I don't love cancel culture, it just is what it is. The Kracken has been released and its not going away.

Spoofin

Reaction score
3 reactions to your post.

1. Is writing an opinion on a message board equivalent to getting "triggered"? I was using the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as an example as it was brought up in this thread. It could have been many other examples of slogans, syrup labels, sports figures, whatever.

2. Even among the left-leaning posters on this site, very few actually come out supporting all this garbage. The only real comments are to attack righties that offer up another opinion as "snowflakes" or "getting triggered". Even @Wally, not exactly a Republican hack, thought this latest example was a joke. Look to SON's post on this topic later in this thread for a very well thought out post.

3. The supposedly altruistic wokeness wave we have been riding this year is exactly what it is supposedly fighting against. It's divisive, dismissive, and condescending towards those it is meant to protect.

I've been married to a Jewish girl for over 25 years, had a black neighbor for ten whose daughter plays extensively with mine, have worked quite regularly with a gay co-worker (not sure of the sexual preference of my other co-workers as I have not asked for nor had sex with any of them) and worked under a female for 14 of the last 15 years of my professional life. Until this year, I rarely thought about the characteristics I just cited. Now I'm wondering to whom to I owe my greatest apology for my oppression. So many religious, racial, sexual orientation, and gender victims......
BOX

Go4Broke

Reaction score
A list of people and things Donald Trump tried to get canceled before he railed against 'cancel culture'

Here's the list in chronological order.

August 2012: Trump says Black journalist Touré, then a co-host of the MSNBC show "The Cycle," should be "forced to resign" for comments in which Touré uttered a variant of the N-word while arguing that Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney was using racially coded language to try to make President Barack Obama seem frightening. (Touré had apologized before Trump's demand.)
November 2012: Trump suggests the firing of then-MSNBC host Chris Matthews for saying, on the night of Obama's victory, that he was "so glad" Hurricane Sandy had occurred, because of its political impact. (Matthews had apologized before Trump's suggestion.)
December 2012: Trump calls for the firing of Vanity Fair magazine Editor Graydon Carter, with whom he had feuded for years, over what he declares the magazine's "worst ever issue."
December 2012: Trump says "Scots should boycott Glenfiddich garbage" because the whisky brand selected Michael Forbes, a farmer who refused to sell his land to make way for a Trump golf course, as "Top Scot" of the year.
March 2013: Trump says, "Everyone should cancel HBO until they fire low life dummy Bill Maher! Get going now and feel good about yourself!"
July 2013: Trump asks people to "boycott & cancel subscriptions" to Rolling Stone magazine because of a cover featuring Boston Marathon terrorist Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.
October 2013: Trump urges "everybody possible" to "cancel their subscription" to New York Magazine over an insulting tweet about Trump's marriage from Dan Amira, who was online editor at the time.
March 2014: After Trump is left off a CNBC list of the most influential business leaders, he says, "Stupid poll should be canceled—no credibility."
May 2014: Trump calls for the firing of, or at least an apology from, the person at The Oklahoman newspaper who wrote a headline calling then-Oklahoma City Thunder NBA star Kevin Durant "Mr. Unreliable." (The newspaper had already apologized.)
June 2014: Trump says people should "Boycott Mexico" until a Marine reservist who was jailed for crossing the border with loaded guns is released from prison. (He was released later in the year.)
April 2015: Trump suggests that conservative writer Jonah Goldberg, then a senior editor of National Review magazine, should be forced to resign for writing that Trump had been "tweeting like a 14-year-old girl" in response to another conservative writer calling Trump a clown. Trump also suggests Fox News anchor Bret Baier should stop having Goldberg on his show.
June 2015: When Spanish-language television network Univision severed its business relationship with Trump after his campaign launch speech, in which he labeled Mexican immigrants as criminals and rapists, Trump tweets, "Anyone who wants strong borders and good trade deals for the US should boycott @Univision."
July 2015: Trump calls for a boycott of Macy's after Macy's discontinued its business dealings with him over those same comments about people from Mexico. Trump also tweets "Great" when someone tells him that people are canceling their Macy's credit cards.
August 2015: Trump calls for the firing of the late conservative writer and Fox News commentator Charles Krauthammer, a regular Trump critic.
September 2015: After National Review editor Rich Lowry argued on Fox News that rival Republican candidate Carly Fiorina had "cut off (Trump's) balls with the precision of a surgeon" in a primary debate, Trump says: "Incompetent @RichLowry lost it tonight on @FoxNews. He should not be allowed on TV and the FCC should fine him!" (Lowry responds, "I love how Mr. Anti-PC now wants the FCC to fine me. #pathetic.")
December 2015: Trump calls for the firing of then-CBS News journalist Sopan Deb and NBC/MSNBC journalist Katy Tur over reporting he disputed about how he handled protesters during a rally speech.
February 2016: Trump says people should "boycott all Apple products" until the company stops fighting a government request to break into the cell phone of a deceased California terrorist.
February 2016: Trump says Fox News should fire Republican strategist and commentator Karl Rove for being insufficiently positive about his victory in the Nevada caucuses.
February 2016: Trump calls on the Wall Street Journal to fire its editorial board, which had criticized him, and its pollster, which showed results he didn't like.
March 2016: Trump proposes a boycott of Megyn Kelly's Fox News show, complaining that it is too negative toward him.
September 2016: After the Dallas Morning News and Arizona Republic newspapers endorse Hillary Clinton for president and USA Today declares Trump unfit for the office, Trump says, "The people are really smart in cancelling subscriptions to the Dallas & Arizona papers & now USA Today will lose readers! The people get it!"
September 2017: Trump tweets that NFL players and other athletes who don't stand for the National Anthem should be told, "YOU'RE FIRED." He says in another tweet, "Fire or suspend!" And at a rally, he says, "Wouldn't you love to see one of these NFL owners when somebody disrespects our flag to say, 'Get that son of a bitch off the field right now, out, he's fired, he's fired.' "
October 2017: Suggesting he could use the power of the state against media entities he dislikes, Trump muses about challenging the broadcast licenses of NBC and other networks over their news coverage. (He again broached the subject of reviewing NBC's license in September 2018.)
November 2017: Trump calls for a boycott of CNN.
August 2018: Trump tweets, "Many @harleydavidson owners plan to boycott the company if manufacturing moves overseas. Great! Most other companies are coming in our direction, including Harley competitors."
June 2019: Trump suggests people stop "using or subscribing" to AT&T to pressure the company to make changes at CNN, which it owns.
September 2019: Trump suggests that actress Debra Messing should be fired for calling on a news outlet to publish the names of people attending a Trump fundraiser and for a tweet promoting a church sign that said "a black vote for Trump is mental illness." (Messing had apologized for the tweet about the church sign.)
January 2020: Trump says The New York Times should fire columnist Paul Krugman, a winner of the Nobel Prize in economics, for having incorrectly predicted a global recession after Trump's victory in 2016.
May 2020: The day after Twitter appended a fact check link to dishonest Trump claims about mail-in voting, Trump threatens to shut down social media companies: "Republicans feel that Social Media Platforms totally silence conservatives voices. We will strongly regulate, or close them down, before we can ever allow this to happen."
May 2020: Trump seeks the firing of Chuck Todd, host of NBC's "Meet the Press," for the show playing a misleadingly shortened clip of comments by Attorney General William Barr. (Todd apologized, saying it was an inadvertent mistake.) Again broaching the power of the state, Trump tags the accounts of the Federal Communications Commission, which regulates television, and its chairman, Ajit Pai.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/07/politics/fact-check-trump-cancel-culture-boycotts-firings/index.html

Top Bottom