All Things 2021 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

cjbfbp

Reaction score
It is kind of shocking how many can't look past that high school ranking when forming their opinion on a player. Or those that will get hung up on a few percentage points, like somehow there is this massive difference between a .910 - 4* and a .880 - 3*

The recruiting sites have a formula, and they get it right a lot. But it is impossible to accurately compare the abilities of players across the country going up against different levels of competition and playing in different systems. Now it is probably a bit easier in basketball because the top guys go head to head a lot in AAU but even there, once you get beyond the best of the best they are just guessing in a lot of cases based on what has happened with similar athletes in the past.
Exactly. With the great mass of players, some of these observers may get glimpses of the player here and there. Sometimes they see something impressive and sometimes they don't but they're not observing over the long haul.

Boomtime

Reaction score
Um, no. Jimmy Williams was the coach post-Dutcher resigning after the forfeit of the NW game following the Madison rape incident.
Boy, that incident sure didn't help Minnesota legacy.

Been lots of challenges being a fan over the decades. Outside of maybe Baylor, has any school in the country had more bad publicity over the decades than Minnesota?

Minnesara

Reaction score

cjbfbp

Reaction score
Actually you probably could so thanks for the info. My conclusion is he's not going to come to MN and average the 15 and 8 he did. He then averaged 9 and 6 with us. Gives you a little better idea (maybe) of how some of these guys will play when they're playing Big Ten teams every night.

However, I'm far too lazy to dig up game stats of all our transfers this year.

Those are counting stats. Haven't you moved past those? I'm sure Mashburn and Williams wouldn't have too much trouble averaging 15 points a game in most P6 leagues if the coach let them shoot enough but they'd probably need 17 or 18 shots to get there. Johnson had the third highest player efficiency rating of the rotational players this year and had the highest Wins Shares per 40. Those measures can be deceptive with limited minutes but Johnson was 2nd on the team in minutes played.

tmvander

Reaction score
Those are counting stats. Haven't you moved past those? I'm sure Mashburn and Williams wouldn't have too much trouble averaging 15 points a game in most P6 leagues if the coach let them shoot enough but they'd probably need 17 or 18 shots to get there. Johnson had the third highest player efficiency rating of the rotational players this year and had the highest Wins Shares per 40. Those measures can be deceptive with limited minutes but Johnson was 2nd on the team in minutes played.
Ok so additional info which is also super helpful. So let's pose two questions then. How do our transfers' counting stats vs P6 teams AND efficiency numbers look when they played P6 teams?

The basic point I was trying to make is transfers are exciting but how well do they play against higher competition.

cjbfbp

Reaction score
Ok so additional info which is also super helpful. So let's pose two questions then. How do our transfers' counting stats vs P6 teams AND efficiency numbers look when they played P6 teams?

The basic point I was trying to make is transfers are exciting but how well do they play against higher competition.

Well, with regard to Johnson, that's a simple answer. Johnson played in 28 games this season and all but five were against majors so his overall figures would have been similar to his P6 figures.

In Big Ten only games, his Player Efficiency Rating was better than his overall one (19.7 in conference vs. 18.1 overall) while his Win Shares per 40 was slightly lower (.131 vs. .146).

Top Bottom