A timeline of Zachary Evans' all-time crazy recruitment

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score
I feel like if you give that guy a P5 scholarship ... you've already lost any leverage as far as getting a kid like that back on track.

I think it would be hard to reward him after all that and tell him "now straighten up".

Gold Rush

Reaction score
whew - glad we weren't in the middle of that one, but you know he is probably unbelievably talented to get that type of attention. Too much drama for me but if you could get him on the field he would probably be an incredible force. Glad we got our guy Ky Thomas - I think he is going to be very good and hopefully not near the drama as this guy!!

Spoofin

Reaction score
Yikes. I would be a hard pass on this dude. Good chance whoever gets him ends up regretting it. Seems like a perfect fit for Kiffin.

GopherSteak

Reaction score
If Zach Evans was from Minnesota would you want Minnesota in this race til the end?

#2Gopher

Reaction score
Yikes. I would be a hard pass on this dude. Good chance whoever gets him ends up regretting it. Seems like a perfect fit for Kiffin.
Without knowing facts I'm going out a bit here. It appears that he would be a cancer to the team and wouldn't be a good fit unless you're among those who don't care for rules.

hungan1

Reaction score
This naivete will catch up with him sooner or later.

matt

Let's get weird
Reaction score
What, you wonder, happens when a kid craving attention does a bunch of things to get more attention? Why, the biggest CFB recruiting site runs a front page article on it, of course! I can't imagine why the kid does it!

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score
What, you wonder, happens when a kid craving attention does a bunch of things to get more attention? Why, the biggest CFB recruiting site runs a front page article on it, of course! I can't imagine why the kid does it!
He could have gotten attention for winning a state championship.... chose not to.

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score
Read up on the recruitment of Willie Williams back in 2004. That's the most bizarre recruitment I've ever heard of. His restaurant/food thoughts alone were worthy of a Pulitzer. Then on his visit to Gainesville, he sucker punched a guy on the dance floor at a club and stole his wallet, broke open the fire extinguisher in the hallway of his hotel and unloaded it, inappropriately grabbed an unknown female student at the student union from behind and held her in a bear hug for 5+ awkward minutes. Kid had convictions galore & ended up at Miami. My buddy was an academic tutor there and said he wasn't dumb, but he was illiterate. No way on earth that kid should have been on a college campus.

Wally

Reaction score
He is looking for the highest bidder...

Possumlad

Reaction score
Read up on the recruitment of Willie Williams back in 2004. That's the most bizarre recruitment I've ever heard of. His restaurant/food thoughts alone were worthy of a Pulitzer. Then on his visit to Gainesville, he sucker punched a guy on the dance floor at a club and stole his wallet, broke open the fire extinguisher in the hallway of his hotel and unloaded it, inappropriately grabbed an unknown female student at the student union from behind and held her in a bear hug for 5+ awkward minutes. Kid had convictions galore & ended up at Miami. My buddy was an academic tutor there and said he wasn't dumb, but he was illiterate. No way on earth that kid should have been on a college campus.
A sad and wild story for sure. I think we often forget that even phenomenal HS athletes are still kids - if you take the time to look, you'll find that a failed adolescent or even young adult was almost always failed by many adults along the way. Personal responsibility is important, but we are all products of our environment.. and hopefully weren't exploited and failed the way many of these kids were/are.

northeast_mpls_guy

Reaction score
It doesn't necessarily seem like this kid is craving attention as much as he's just the type of overly independent and flaky person who can't make up their mind and commit to anything. For his sake I hope he ends up getting his shit together and things work out for him.

MNVCGUY

Reaction score
If Zach Evans was from Minnesota would you want Minnesota in this race til the end?
Would entirely depend on the character issues. Missing 3 games in your senior year due to suspension, including one for being unwilling to give up your cell phone, is not a good sign.

That said, a 5* recruit from Minnesota would be a really rare thing so would depend on the staff's read on his character and if they felt like he was going to be someone that will follow the rules in college.

In actual news - not surprised at all that Kiffin is in the mix for him. Can't even fathom the amount of recruiting violations Kiffin will commit in the SEC with the amount of booster money he will no doubt have available to use when paying recruits down there.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
The Tragic Story of Willie Williams, College Football's First Celebrity Recruit

Top Bottom