A N T A R C T I C A

OldBob53

Reaction score
Ever been there? Its summer there now and relatively hospitable. I'll post links to some of the research stations down there in a bit.

GopherJake

Reaction score
Somethin's missing, all right.

(Copyright Seinfeld)

GoodasGold

Reaction score
Unlike Shackleton, I’ve never had a desire to visit the Antarctic. I would venture north to Canada, however, to visit with Harry, Megan and baby Archie.

OldBob53

Reaction score
These A N T A R C T I C research stations are "manned" in the Antarctic winter too. More on that later.

Last edited:

MplsGopher

Reaction score
I think more interesting is the potential for new shipping lanes to form through the arctic ice, between Europe/Asia and North America.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
I have made ham radio contacts with folks near the South Pole.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
I'm talking about a place where the beer flows like wine ...

I'm talking about a little place called .... Assssssspennnnnn

OldBob53

Reaction score
I'm talking about a place where the beer flows like wine ...

I'm talking about a little place called .... Assssssspennnnnn
I'd rather have wine flow like beer. Especially a nice Chateux Marguex, say 1990 vintage. This ties right into A N T A R C T I C A too, as one of my questions is: what do they do for entertainment in the Antarctic winter?

Even the Scotts Amundson base at the geographic South Pole is staffed by sort of a skeleton crew of maybe a dozen or two during the astral winter (our summer). Remember its pitch dark down there for months and average day time temperatures dip well below negative 100 F, as far as negative 150, not counting wind chill. Do they have a supply of adult beverages?

Last edited:

GopherJake

Reaction score
It’s their summer right now and they currently have 23 hours of sun above the horizon. High Saturday is -9F. I am pretty sure they have alcohol and other assorted mind altering substances.

OldBob53

Reaction score
The ignore function is a blessing, for there are a handful of posters here who are obviously unhappy with their station in life and seething with hatred, being brain-challenged; and ignore allows them to disappear.

Last edited:

OldBob53

Reaction score
Story in today's Star/Tribune: 6 guys thought it would be a good idea to row their way to Antarctica over 600 miles from South America. 40 foot waves! Are you kidding me?

Top Bottom