A Coronavirus Vaccine Won’t Work if People Don’t Take It

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
One of the arguments I see against getting the vaccine is that there has been no testing for long term effects. We’re now at a point where people got it a year ago with no sign of long term negative impacts. My basic understanding of vaccine history is usually any side effects would occur very shortly after getting the vaccine. Are there any examples of vaccines that don’t show serious side effects until a year or even longer afterwards?

howeda7

Reaction score
One of the arguments I see against getting the vaccine is that there has been no testing for long term effects. We’re now at a point where people got it a year ago with no sign of long term negative impacts. My basic understanding of vaccine history is usually any side effects would occur very shortly after getting the vaccine. Are there any examples of vaccines that don’t show serious side effects until a year or even longer afterwards?
I'm sure there are examples. For instance, the hep b vaccine has been linked to triggering MS and other auto-immune disorders in some people. It's still a tiny %, and th link has never been fully proven. But some counties did pause or stop mandating it for school children.

The fact remains that for the vast majority of people, the risk of long term Covid complications is much higher than the risk of long term side effects from the vaccine.

Spoofin

Reaction score
I guess he had to take over Beeg's share of shameless QOP shilling in his absence. Especially since Spoof and Fool2 won't help since they're down the middle independent thinkers. It's a heavy burden.
I’m glad you found your group of head nodders Howie. You fit in perfectly. What a group it is too.

cncmin

Reaction score
Yeah, now you're starting to get it. All Orange Fuhrer needed to do was tell you minions that you should wear a mask and get vaccinated and the Covid problem in this country would be a fraction of the problem it was/is.

Coincidentally, had he done this, he might still be President, as our very poor Covid performance certainly affected him negatively in the election.

cncmin

Reaction score
I'll say this much. I got vaccinated, and I will continue to get booster shots as needed. I thought that was best for the health of me and those close to me. My science-based mind still wonders, though, if getting the vaccine will have a negative effect on my health in 5, 10, 20, 30 years down the road. We just don't know. We expect not, but there is no guarantee.

All of that said, it was a pretty simple situation. My health and that of those close to me was in much greater risk by not getting vaccinated than getting vaccinated. In the end, this was a no brainer. Moreover much of the consternation I used to have about Covid has gone away. Now when I run into those jackasses at the stores I shop at who are too good to follow store policy and walk around expelling their germs on the rest of the folks at the store, I no longer have much to worry about. And that feels pretty good.

Spoofin

Reaction score
Yeah, now you're starting to get it. All Orange Fuhrer needed to do was tell you minions that you should wear a mask and get vaccinated and the Covid problem in this country would be a fraction of the problem it was/is.
I’ll give you the mask wear (no comment on “a fraction”), but this idea that DT pushed people away from the vaccine is comical. He launched OWS which is the biggest reason we got as much vaccine as fast as we did, his critics complain he promised too much in regards to the vaccine, and he personally got the vaccine before he left office. Did I miss when he promoted not getting the vaccine? Was he the one spreading doubt on a “rushed vaccine”? Did you want him wearing a flashing neon sign? Find a new boogey-man, you are stretching big time here.

Section2

Reaction score

Coincidentally, had he done this, he might still be President, as our very poor Covid performance certainly affected him negatively in the election.
Masks don’t work. And of course, he has consistently supported vaccines and told people to get vaccinated. This is just a complete nonsense post. Had Trump come out pro mask, the science would have said otherwise.

Section2

Reaction score
I’ll give you the mask wear (no comment on “a fraction”), but this idea that DT pushed people away from the vaccine is comical. He launched OWS which is the biggest reason we got as much vaccine as fast as we did, his critics complain he promised too much in regards to the vaccine, and he personally got the vaccine before he left office. Did I miss when he promoted not getting the vaccine? Was he the one spreading doubt on a “rushed vaccine”? Did you want him wearing a flashing neon sign? Find a new boogey-man, you are stretching big time here.
Democrats like Cuomo and Harris were telling people not to trust the vaccine. The revisionist history is incredible.

stocker08

Reaction score

Yup. Covid could have been much less of a problem had we had someone who wasn't competely incompetent in charge for the previous for years. Spoof and deuce....two of the biggest donalds on the OTB are still talking about how he did a great job....and about how ONLY the covid denying Trump would have put a program in place to quickly develop a vaccine. LOL!!! The deniers fail to realize that the vaccine probably would have been available quite a bit earlier.

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
I'm still very pro vaccine but what are the benefits if you are young and healthy?

1. Vaccine symptoms can still be worse than if you get COVID.
2. You can still get COVID.
3. Fauci and other health 'experts' say you still can't return to normal even after vaccination.
4. We have no idea what the long term effects can be.

That's a hell of a sales pitch to those still on the fence.

STPGopher

Reaction score
I'm still very pro vaccine but what are the benefits if you are young and healthy?

1. Vaccine symptoms can still be worse than if you get COVID.
2. You can still get COVID.
3. Fauci and other health 'experts' say you still can't return to normal even after vaccination.
4. We have no idea what the long term effects can be.

That's a hell of a sales pitch to those still on the fence.
Fair points, but we realized the importance with diseases like Polo how important it is to get as many people vaccinated as possible.

Regarding the longterm effects, they are an unknown. It does appear so far that those are still less significant than long-term covid effects amongst the non vaccinated.

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
Fair points, but we realized the importance with diseases like Polo how important it is to get as many people vaccinated as possible.

Regarding the longterm effects, they are an unknown. It does appear so far that those are still less significant than long-term covid effects amongst the non vaccinated.

The vaccine eradicated Polio. This is not the case with COVID. It is a flu shot that reduces your chances of hospitalization, and doesn't reduce your chances of contracting the disease.

STPGopher

Reaction score
The vaccine eradicated Polio. This is not the case with COVID. It is a flu shot that reduces your chances of hospitalization, and doesn't reduce your chances of contracting the disease.
Yes I do understand that, but it appears to me that overall getting vaccinated is the best course of action. There will be some that will have good reason not to. IIRC there are some scenarios, depending on the the manufacturer, where some should avoid it, or chose a different manufacturer.

This is a very complicated situation. I don't know if we will get there anytime soon, but there will have to be systems set up for situations like this going forward.

There are opportunities here.

Plausible Deniability

Coffee is for closers
Reaction score
Yes I do understand that, but it appears to me that overall getting vaccinated is the best course of action. There will be some that will have good reason not to
It wasn't that long ago in this country that people had a choice with the medical decisions for their own bodies and their families. I'd prefer to just leave it with your second sentence here.

STPGopher

Reaction score
It wasn't that long ago in this country that people had a choice with the medical decisions for their own bodies and their families. I'd prefer to just leave it with your second sentence here.
They still do. I haven't seen it mandated yet.

cncmin

Reaction score
Masks don’t work.
False. Just complete nonsense. You believe any tripe RW media generates. JTF blew you out of the water on this with real data. All you do is ignore and deflect reality because it doesn't suit the nonsensical fantasy world you wish were true.

Section2

Reaction score
False. Just complete nonsense. You believe any tripe RW media generates. JTF blew you out of the water on this with real data. All you do is ignore and deflect reality because it doesn't suit the nonsensical fantasy world you wish were true.
Blew me out of the water by comparing Japan to the US? Both countries wear masks.
I served him up a challenge that you can take up as well. Anywhere in the world, you find one place that mask mandates went into effect and it led to case counts falling within a month.

STPGopher

Reaction score
Blew me out of the water by comparing Japan to the US? Both countries wear masks.
I served him up a challenge that you can take up as well. Anywhere in the world, you find one place that mask mandates went into effect and it led to case counts falling within a month.
IIRC one thing that isn't being discussed is the media the mask is made of. P.E. and others have provided data in other posts. Three ply nonwoven and N95's appear to be the most effective.

IIRC Kimberly Clark is now making N95's (not sure if they did before. I just know that they have nonwoven technology experience from paper making) and they are available on Amazon.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
The last part is not known for sure yet. There is now evidence that it can prevent infection and transmission also but we won’t know for sure until enough people get the vaccine.

howeda7

Reaction score
Masks don’t work. And of course, he has consistently supported vaccines and told people to get vaccinated. This is just a complete nonsense post. Had Trump come out pro mask, the science would have said otherwise.
Why did he get vaccinated in secret and not tell the public? Just doing that publicly and encouraging others to do so might have gotten a couple million cultists over the fence.

cncmin

Reaction score
Why did he get vaccinated in secret and not tell the public? Just doing that publicly and encouraging others to do so might have gotten a couple million cultists over the fence.
*raises hand high* *pick me* *pick me*

Hey I know why. Because if he got vaccinated in public and told everyone that they needed to get vaccinated (and wear masks and social distance) because it's really helpful, and if he wore masks in public and socially distanced, well that would directly contradict the false/bravado meme he presented all along as President where he implied the entire time that Covid was no biggie, that people didn't have to (shouldn't!) wear masks or social distance, that it was just about the same as the flu, and everything should be open (!!!). So what if a few hundred thousand more Americans died than should've under a decent President, and tens of thousands more are suffering from long-term problems. The key here was that he presented that false bravado, and nothing else but that he seemed macho in public to his legions of minions who actually believed in that false persona mattered.

justthefacts

Reaction score
bMJfmom.png

GophersInIowa

Reaction score

Mrs Centner also repeated a false claim of vaccinated individuals affecting unvaccinated people, saying three women in the school's community had their menstrual cycles "impacted after having spent time with a vaccinated person".

STPGopher

Reaction score
Yes. Much of this is all about being a contrarian. Sometimes being a contrarian serves a purpose like making a point. Much of this is all about sticking it to someone.

"My primary reason for refusing the vaccine is much simpler: I dislike the people who want me to take it, and it makes them mad when they hear about my refusal. That, in turn, makes me happy. "

Hilarious and tragic all at the same time.

Top Bottom