A Coronavirus Vaccine Won’t Work if People Don’t Take It

howeda7

Reaction score
Losing? Your evidence is 48 people 'suffering' of brain fog and fatigue.

It's comparable to the flu because people don't get worked up about others not getting a flu shot, especially those under 30, when the flu is far more harmful to young people than COVID is. Plus you're going to have to get a COVID shot every year now, just like the flu shot.

So why do we treat a less deadly disease in young people far more harshly than one that has been around forever, and is far more deadly?
I linked one study. You think only 48 people under 30 have suffered any issues from Covid?

Where is your source for "the flu is far more harmful to young people than Covid"?

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
If he didn't wear a mask walking outside to speak to reporters, you'd screech about him not caring about infecting them. He can't win with the 34% Trump cult, but that's not who it's aimed at.
If he stopped being a hypocrite and had some consistency with his CDC’s recommendations, people wouldn’t be commenting.

Joe freaked out the other day when he was outside, socially distant, and couldn’t find his mask. He said “he’s going to be in trouble”...presumably with whoever is really running the show.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
No we wouldn’t. He’s vaccinated. If it works, he shouldn’t be wearing a mask at all anywhere. Wearing one alone and outside but not in the home of 90 year olds is just crazy. But you defend it. Lick lick.
I wish I had posted the “lick lick”. How could I forget howie’s Trump signature post comment?

howeda7

Reaction score
If he stopped being a hypocrite and had some consistency with his CDC’s recommendations, people wouldn’t be commenting.

Joe freaked out the other day when he was outside, socially distant, and couldn’t find his mask. He said “he’s going to be in trouble”...presumably with whoever is really running the show.
This may shock you, but the CDC isn't supposed to take orders from the President. The CDC is being too conservative with their guidelines. I have said so before and I don't think anyone here has said otherwise. Biden likely thinks so too, but he's not going to throw them under the bus.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
This may shock you, but the CDC isn't supposed to take orders from the President. The CDC is being too conservative with their guidelines. I have said so before and I don't think anyone here has said otherwise. Biden likely thinks so too, but he's not going to throw them under the bus.
Apparently, the CDC takes its orders from the American Federation of Teachers. And when the CDC director conflicts with the Biden Administration, Jen Psaki says the director is not speaking in her official role, but giving a personal opinion.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
It was rushed, some people have side effects that are serious, maybe it can? There is very little reason for someone under 30 to get it outside some sense of duty. Why does it bother you so much?
Saying it was rushed implies that corners were cut, they didn’t go through the whole process, etc. Can you give a few examples of the areas where they cut corners?

The serious side effects is extremely low, much lower than getting Covid. The infertility thing is that people are saying there’s all kinds of evidence of it, but it’s not true. There’s even some people pushing the nonsense that women’s menstrual cycles can be messed up just by being in close proximity to someone that’s been vaccinated.

Why does it bother me so much?
1. This whole conversation originally was about people using bad info to make their decision. Important decisions should be made using facts.
2. The more people that get the vaccine, the less that will get seriously ill or die. Young people don’t get very sick but they can still spread it. The vaccine is very effective but it isn’t 100% effective. It’s still possible for a young, unvaccinated person to infect someone older, even if they’re vaccinated. The more people vaccinated, the lower the chances of that happening.
3. The less people get vaccinated, the greater chance this will effect our day-to-day life going forward. Clusters can still occur which could still cause temporary restrictions. And the more the virus is able to spread, the greater the chance of more variants. The more variants there are, the greater the chances the current vaccine won’t won’t work against a variant. Or it’s not impossible that a new variant develops that does cause lots of harm to young people.

It all comes back to really understanding what it will mean if a large portion of the population doesn’t get vaccinated. The greatest chance for “normal” life to stay is for as many people as possible to get vaccinated.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
This is my question to everyone who still wants to control peoples lives with COVID restrictions. Everyone has the ability to get the vaccine, everyone has the ability to stay home and not socialize.

Why do people care of others are willing to take the 'risk' of socializing, not wearing masks, and not getting the vaccine? That's their problem, not yours.
If you haven’t figured out at this point why your last sentence is not true, I don’t think you ever will.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
We've been tracking COVID cases, hospitalization, and death rates for well over a year now. Nearly 247 million doses of the vaccine have been given out just in the US.

There is no shortage of data, we have a good understanding of what's happening.
There is a shortage of info on effectiveness of transmission prevention. Up until recently, the majority of time and effort was spent on safety and studying effectiveness of reducing illness and death.

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
It all comes back to really understanding what it will mean if a large portion of the population doesn’t get vaccinated. The greatest chance for “normal” life to stay is for as many people as possible to get vaccinated.
How can you be so sure? You're talking to the same people who were bait and switched with "flatten the curve". They've been lying from the beginning. How in the world can you say definitively that we can just get back to normal if "X" amount of people get vaccinated?

A few weeks, a month from now, the message will be that the vaccines aren't working on the new variants (or some BS like that), and nothing will change with the restrictions and mandates.

Fool me a half dozen times, shame on you; fool me a hundred times, shame on me

Spoofin

Reaction score
Lol. You wish. You live in a delusional fantasy where Trump is old news and the Grand Old Party is as it always was. I wish it were remotely true.
Oh, BS. You still post about Trump Daily. You bring him up repeatedly in conversations that aren't remotely about him. You simply can't stop thinking, typing, and talking about him. I have no doubt that is true outside of GH as well and would guess you have lost a friend or two because you won't shut up about him. Ever. You don't wish for even a second that he was old news - you need him in the news - you spend hours every day making sure he doesn't become old news on here. It is simply pathetic.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
How can you be so sure? You're talking to the same people who were bait and switched with "flatten the curve". They've been lying from the beginning. How in the world can you say definitively that we can just get back to normal if "X" amount of people get vaccinated?

A few weeks, a month from now, the message will be that the vaccines aren't working on the new variants (or some BS like that), and nothing will change with the restrictions and mandates.

Fool me a half dozen times, shame on you; fool me a hundred times, shame on me
Ah yes, flatten the curve from a year ago. Anyone that thought that meant things would just go back to normal after we “flattened the curve” were just hearing what they wanted to hear.

I didn’t say definitively. I said the chances would be greater.

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
Ah yes, flatten the curve from a year ago. Anyone that thought that meant things would just go back to normal after we “flattened the curve” were just hearing what they wanted to hear.

I didn’t say definitively. I said the chances would be greater.
Why not definitively?

Someone told me just today, (I haven't confirmed if true) that a friend that lived in Florida said if they had the vaccine they didn't have to wear a mask. I haven't gotten the vaccine yet, but I probably will before too long. If you told the country that they didn't have to wear a mask if they had the vaccine, the lines would be down the freeway. And I'd probably be in line tomorrow morning.

But it's been one lie, one distortion, one deception after another for months and months and months. And yet people wonder why other people are f'cking fed up with it by now.

Section2

Reaction score
Saying it was rushed implies that corners were cut, they didn’t go through the whole process, etc. Can you give a few examples of the areas where they cut corners?

The serious side effects is extremely low, much lower than getting Covid. The infertility thing is that people are saying there’s all kinds of evidence of it, but it’s not true. There’s even some people pushing the nonsense that women’s menstrual cycles can be messed up just by being in close proximity to someone that’s been vaccinated.

Why does it bother me so much?
1. This whole conversation originally was about people using bad info to make their decision. Important decisions should be made using facts.
2. The more people that get the vaccine, the less that will get seriously ill or die. Young people don’t get very sick but they can still spread it. The vaccine is very effective but it isn’t 100% effective. It’s still possible for a young, unvaccinated person to infect someone older, even if they’re vaccinated. The more people vaccinated, the lower the chances of that happening.
3. The less people get vaccinated, the greater chance this will effect our day-to-day life going forward. Clusters can still occur which could still cause temporary restrictions. And the more the virus is able to spread, the greater the chance of more variants. The more variants there are, the greater the chances the current vaccine won’t won’t work against a variant. Or it’s not impossible that a new variant develops that does cause lots of harm to young people.

I have no idea. But there are two key points: 1) it took less than a year, didn’t get fda approval, we don’t really know if corners were cut, we have to take the word of people who I’m not sure deserve the benefit of the doubt. It was literally rushed. I don’t think using that word is debatable. 2) our entire drug approval process is overly expensive and slow. Life saving medications are delayed by years because of this. Now when it’s politically expedient we can rush it or speed it up. Maybe the process is flawed?

there are rumors for everything. Half of US adults have gotten the vax. It’s as widely accepted as possible. Don’t overreact to “some people”.
1)You don’t personally know the thought process of holdouts. Lots of them are legitimate. We are never going to agree on “the facts”. Objective truth today is almost impossible.
2) zero risk is not possible. It’s not your job to worry about minute risks. And I really doubt you are that concerned about these rare events.
3) the entity preventing us from getting back to normal is politicians and public health experts. They don’t want to give up that power. Do not be naive. Every time we get close a new excuse emerges. We have to stand up and demand our lives back. They only have power because scared people give it to them.

Section2

Reaction score
There is a shortage of info on effectiveness of transmission prevention. Up until recently, the majority of time and effort was spent on safety and studying effectiveness of reducing illness and death.
We know perfectly that this doesn’t cause any side effects or long term damage, but we don’t know if it eliminates the risk of spreading and we don’t know how long immunity lasts. But our info that gets you to take it is perfect. The info we have on if the vaccine gets us back to normal and takes away our unlimited power? A little hazy. Very convenient.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
Why not definitively?

Someone told me just today, (I haven't confirmed if true) that a friend that lived in Florida said if they had the vaccine they didn't have to wear a mask. I haven't gotten the vaccine yet, but I probably will before too long. If you told the country that they didn't have to wear a mask if they had the vaccine, the lines would be down the freeway. And I'd probably be in line tomorrow morning.

But it's been one lie, one distortion, one deception after another for months and months and months. And yet people wonder why other people are f'cking fed up with it by now.
Because I can’t predict the future. No one can say with 100% certainty what the virus will do.

The Florida story might be true of certain situations but it can’t be overall. Private businesses can still require masks if they choose to.

Spoofin

Reaction score
They already happened. Or did I miss my appointment in December?
There was never a supply issue. First there were more doses than we could administer and now we have more doses than demand. Never a supply issue.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
I have no idea. But there are two key points: 1) it took less than a year, didn’t get fda approval, we don’t really know if corners were cut, we have to take the word of people who I’m not sure deserve the benefit of the doubt. It was literally rushed. I don’t think using that word is debatable. 2) our entire drug approval process is overly expensive and slow. Life saving medications are delayed by years because of this. Now when it’s politically expedient we can rush it or speed it up. Maybe the process is flawed?

there are rumors for everything. Half of US adults have gotten the vax. It’s as widely accepted as possible. Don’t overreact to “some people”.
1)You don’t personally know the thought process of holdouts. Lots of them are legitimate. We are never going to agree on “the facts”. Objective truth today is almost impossible.
2) zero risk is not possible. It’s not your job to worry about minute risks. And I really doubt you are that concerned about these rare events.
3) the entity preventing us from getting back to normal is politicians and public health experts. They don’t want to give up that power. Do not be naive. Every time we get close a new excuse emerges. We have to stand up and demand our lives back. They only have power because scared people give it to them.
I’m by no means an expert but my wife works in research (not Covid related) so I probably know a little bit more than the average person. With the amount of oversight and people involved with these trials, it would be nearly impossible to cut corners without people knowing about it. I’ll post the link again explaining why this was able to happen much quicker than normal if you’re interested in it.

The other stuff I don’t think we’ll ever agree on so I’ll just leave it at that.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
We know perfectly that this doesn’t cause any side effects or long term damage, but we don’t know if it eliminates the risk of spreading and we don’t know how long immunity lasts. But our info that gets you to take it is perfect. The info we have on if the vaccine gets us back to normal and takes away our unlimited power? A little hazy. Very convenient.
Lots of research being done right now to see how well it does with transmission. You’re really working hard to make this into something it isn’t.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
Why not definitively?

It’s not true that you don’t have to wear a mask in Florida if you’ve been vaccinated. There is simply no requirement to prove that you’ve been vaccinated.

It is true that many, more likely most, business are not requiring customers to wear masks when entering their place of business. They are leaving it up to the customer with a few exceptions. Publix, a large grocery chain, asks customers to wear masks and most everyone does. The momentum is hugely favoring going maskless and I expect Publix will jump on the bandwagon soon or they will start losing business. Employees are masked up though.

Most people are following Gov DeSantis’s advice. If you’ve been vaccinated, act like it, which would include not masking up unnecessarily, like Joe B. Some of the people that are choosing not to get vaccinated have already had Covid and would be immune. Some have other reasons for not getting the vaccine. Most people seem pretty relaxed about it at this point, except devotees to MSNBC and CNN. They’re masked up while driving in their car alone.

Frankly, Florida has been a great place to be this winter and early spring. It’s open, kids in school since August, and the economy is humming with the exception of employee shortages b/c some people are making more to stay home than work.

But whatever happen to the Left’s saying of ”my body, my choice”?

Section2

Reaction score
Lots of research being done right now to see how well it does with transmission. You’re really working hard to make this into something it isn’t.
You are working much harder to ignore the obvious contradiction. And I’ve given you lots of reasons why most of the reluctance to get vaccinated is not because of Russian trolls, but because of the messages all these contradictions send. I’m tired of the politicization of covid.

Section2

Reaction score
I’m by no means an expert but my wife works in research (not Covid related) so I probably know a little bit more than the average person. With the amount of oversight and people involved with these trials, it would be nearly impossible to cut corners without people knowing about it. I’ll post the link again explaining why this was able to happen much quicker than normal if you’re interested in it.

The other stuff I don’t think we’ll ever agree on so I’ll just leave it at that.

The whole country, and certainly public health, have been guilty of a lot of sloppiness from my vantage point. That bogus paper that got peer approved a year or two ago is a good example. Going faster increases the risk something was missed. I’m not assigning malicious intent. But i do not trust the people you trust.
hey, I did my research, I got the vaccine. You don’t have to convince me. You aren’t going to get 100% compliance. Maybe 60%. And then it’s up to the individual. Open up now.

jamiche

Reaction score
Typical melvy prezzle prattle. Claims he got the juice and then goes on and on about why it's a bad idea.

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
I linked one study. You think only 48 people under 30 have suffered any issues from Covid?

Where is your source for "the flu is far more harmful to young people than Covid"?

The CDC flat out lists it on their website.

"The risk of complications for healthy children is higher for flu compared to COVID-19."

Top Bottom