7 Footer Liam Robbins from Drake Commits

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Evan:

Minnesota had strong ties to Robbins, a native of Davenport, Iowa. Robbins is the nephew of Minnesota Associate Head Coach Ed Conroy.

"Just with the unprecedented times and my uncle on the staff and my cousin on the team to be surrounded by family during this time will be good while I challenge myself at the next level and coach Pitino gave me an awesome opportunity to do that," Robbins explained.

"I’m very close with my uncle," he said. "It’s cool and it’s kind of a dream to play for my uncle and coach Pitino. Everyone knows the Pitino name, and it’s a respected name and it’s really a special situation for me."

As a sophomore Robbins averaged 14.1 points and 7.1 rebounds a game, while shooting 49.9-percent from the field. His numbers improved significantly from his freshman season, where he averaged 4.1 points and 2.7 rebounds a game.

Go Gophers!!

bga1

Reaction score
Might help with Walton.....Makings of a solid team!

LesBolstad

Reaction score

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
If you’re 7ft tall and don’t have D1 offers out of high school you’re pretty shitty in high school.

Cool for him to find the motivation/coordination/coaching or whatever it took to be a sought after D1 transfer. I hope he is great.

GopherNuts

Reaction score
What jumps out is he averaged 3 blocks this past season, lord knows we need a rim protector so definitely an important add in that aspect. Probably not going to be the threat from 3 Dan was but it looks like he can space the floor a bit too in the clips i’ve seen. He’s an intriguing prospect. This eases the mind a bit about the future of the front court. Fingers crossed he can get immediate eligibility.

Last edited:

Holy Man

Reaction score
If you’re 7ft tall and don’t have D1 offers out of high school you’re pretty shitty in high school.

Cool for him to find the motivation/coordination/coaching or whatever it took to be a sought after D1 transfer. I hope he is great.
Big men take a while to develop. You're right, the guy had to have worked hard to advance this far that quickly.

Nice to have family connections.

Now, with that bloody NCAA and the transfer rule...I'm in favor of a one year mass transfer while they discern in it long term over the next year. All in our self-interest, of course.

Keyser Söze

Reaction score
Oturu is a huge loss, but I like our roster for next year, especially if Robbins continues on his upward trajectory and if we get another solid commit/transfer.

LongLiveMilesTarver

Reaction score
Having never watched him play this is an intriguing commit. If Evan Daniels and Jeff Goodman are lauding this as a top transfer, I'm down. Fills a giant hole and hopefully is more Reggie Lynch (on the court) than Matz Stockman.

Holy Man

Reaction score
Oturu is a huge loss, but I like our roster for next year, especially if Robbins continues on his upward trajectory and if we get another solid commit/transfer.
Really need another scorer.

die hard gopher

Reaction score
Having never watched him play this is an intriguing commit. If Evan Daniels and Jeff Goodman are lauding this as a top transfer, I'm down. Fills a giant hole and hopefully is more Reggie Lynch (on the court) than Matz Stockman.
He averaged more points, rebounds, blocks per game and fewer fouls than Lynch did as sophomores in the same conference. At worst he is a better Stockman but good chance he is close to the caliber of player Lynch was.

skiumah1

Reaction score
This is a huge get for us. You're right next commit could make this a little/a lot sweeter.

bfriedrichs10

Reaction score
@Marcus_R_Fuller: Looked like this was coming when Robbins announced his transfer yesterday. Being close to family like his uncle & MN asst Conroy “during these unprecedented times” was important to him, he said today. Shared via TweetCaster

Hopefully this angle will help with immediate eligibility.

beavergopher

Reaction score
We will get screwed by the NCAA and he will have to set a year.

Gopher Ally

Reaction score
This program needed some good news! Hopefully Carr will be back and Walton will commit! If this happens we might have something!

Bordergopher

Reaction score
I’ll take another Matz Stockman. He played well the second half of the year.

Last edited:

leib0039

Reaction score
Big (literally and figuratively) get
It was just one game but he took UNI to the wood shed in the MVC tournament

fair

Reaction score
I’ll take another Marx Stockman. He played will the second half of the year.
I really liked Matz as a role player but he definitely wouldn’t have been a great starter. I think this guy has some great potential for the Big 10, especially with 2 years of eligibility.

Top Bottom