500,000 and still counting

howeda7

Reaction score
500K is a small number when you don't really care about your fellow man.
Mr. Theist Best Christian could care less. But yet the "meaningless bags of neurons" manage to have empathy for their fellow humans. Hmm.

MennoSota

Reaction score
500k dead will always be a catastrophe, no matter how small a percentage of the total population that is.

Las Vegas shooting: "that's only 0.00000185 of the population dead, so it really wasn't a big deal, relax"
Every year in America will therefore be a catastrophe for you. I suggest you go to a corner and shake uncontrollably with fear.

MennoSota

Reaction score
1) You present no corroborating evidence that the 500,000 number is inflated.

2) Thanks for explaining to me that "There is no ignoring grief", while you simultaneously attempt to minimize the deaths of a half million people.

Your argument that, "Hey, 99% of us still survive!" is really a head-shaker.
I actually did. I have one person who died, was never tested for covid, and was declared a Covid death. Therefore the number is over inflated.
Based upon the fact that Covid received more federal and state money to hospitals and nursing homes it is no stretch to think admins did what was best for their financial prospects.

MennoSota

Reaction score
The numbers are big enough its dropped life expectancy significantly... 500,000 is not a blip.... The death tole is in fact astronomically high compared to almost any other world event.
Again, you're just playing with statistics. The fact is that every human dies. Buck up and live life to its fullest instead of cowing in fear regarding an absolute certainty.
If you die, nature has accomplished exactly what it is destined to accomplish. It amazes me how scared shitless atheists are.

Plausible Deniability

Coffee is for closers
Reaction score
Yep... For now I stay in my office, wear a mask to and from the restroom, and scowl as I walk past the conference room full of unmasked people. Eventually I may just have to resign without a new job.
I have to admit, I'm curious... why is it that you scowl at those people?

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
"KC schools will delay full reopening and implement hybrid plan because of CDC guidelines.
=
widespread, endemic failure because of confounding policies and guidelines and enabling of this by the new administration."

:rolleyes:
Are you arguing KC didn’t change their plan because of the CDC guidelines? Guidelines that ignore published science and empirical evidence.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Covid is what finally got me to ignore a bunch of posters. Kind of appalling how anti-expert some people are. You're right; Osterholm has pretty much nailed it with his predictions and people still dismiss him. Will we heed his latest warning that the worst may be yet to come?
I highlighted the problem. Expert predictions have been all over the map. Osterholm knows a virus will spread until a certain percentage of people contract illness, a certain number are hospitalized, and a certain number die. These predictions vary by huge numbers, including Osterholm’s. He’ll be the first to say there isn’t much certainty and he may be wrong. Early on CIDRAP published an article on potential outcomes that was interesting and one of the scenarios has come to pass thus far but this isn’t over.

Nokomis

Nothing To Say
Reaction score
I have to admit, I'm curious... why is it that you scowl at those people?
You'd think shooting daggers would be more appropriate. Maybe he/she just wears it around their chin.
Because I disagree with their flippant attitude toward Covid. I can scowl with just my eyes. Kind of like the Tubby Stare.

RememberMurray

Reaction score
I highlighted the problem. Expert predictions have been all over the map. Osterholm knows a virus will spread until a certain percentage of people contract illness, a certain number are hospitalized, and a certain number die. These predictions vary by huge numbers, including Osterholm’s. He’ll be the first to say there isn’t much certainty and he may be wrong. Early on CIDRAP published an article on potential outcomes that was interesting and one of the scenarios has come to pass thus far but this isn’t over.
We know that Osterholm and others were pretty much spot on, and that people who pooh-poohed CIVID as "no worse than the flu" were dead wrong. We know that the guy who produced "15 cases, going down to zero" was dead wrong.

BarnBurner

Reaction score
Yep... For now I stay in my office, wear a mask to and from the restroom, and scowl as I walk past the conference room full of unmasked people. Eventually I may just have to resign without a new job.
Do you scowl at China and the WHO for lying? That is where your anger should be directed.

Nokomis

Nothing To Say
Reaction score
Ok sure. But Olsterholm's predictions are generally the most dire and generally the most accurate so far (at least among those publicly pitched). Seems better to me to heed his warnings instead of just dismissing out of hand (not saying you are but others certainly have and are).

MplsGopher

Reaction score
I have one person who died, was never tested for covid, and was declared a Covid death.
That doesn't prove that they wouldn't still be alive today if the pandemic never happened. They likely would have.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Are you arguing KC didn’t change their plan because of the CDC guidelines?
I'm arguing that it's one specific, small example that you (as typical) try to extrapolate as supporting a much large, much more general claim.

Plausible Deniability

Coffee is for closers
Reaction score
Because I disagree with their flippant attitude toward Covid. I can scowl with just my eyes. Kind of like the Tubby Stare.
I'm not sure how sitting around a conference table without masks as you said, is any different than sitting at a table in a restaurant where I'm able to immediately remove my mask after being seated? If anything, the proximity of people sitting around a conference table is very likely even further apart than they would be at the dinner table in a restaurant?

Spoofin

Reaction score
Yep, Osterholm was who I was referencing when KGF embarrassed himself by saying I was ridiculous we'd hit 500,000.... Where you at killer?
Look at you. Is KGF a doctor or anyone you would follow for medical advice? Why does his opinion mean so much to you? If he was wrong on his prediction last Spring of COVID deaths then add him to a long list - along with many experts who also didn't see that coming. I wear a mask everywhere I go, always have w/o complaint, and I think I take COVID pretty seriously - but if I made a prediction last Spring I also would not have predicted 500K deaths. Do you want a trophy or something for predicting the pandemic would be worse then others thought it would be and being right? Wow - good job Bottle. Way to go! Next pandemic I'll be sure to listen to you.

MennoSota

Reaction score
Which disease or event caused 500k deaths, before?
The Swine Flu, the Black Death, many other pestilences throughout mankind's existence.
Death is a part of nature. Best you accept that reality.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
The Swine Flu, the Black Death, many other pestilences throughout mankind's existence.
We were talking about catastrophes in this country. That was obvious from the thread being about the US covid death number, not the worldwide number.

The swine flu caused 284k deaths worldwide, but only 12k in the US. The black plague was from before the US was a country.

"Many others". Which ones and what were their US deaths?

Nokomis

Nothing To Say
Reaction score
I'm not sure how sitting around a conference table without masks as you said, is any different than sitting at a table in a restaurant where I'm able to immediately remove my mask after being seated? If anything, the proximity of people sitting around a conference table is very likely even further apart than they would be at the dinner table in a restaurant?
My understanding of the restaurant guideline is that it's for six people or less of up to two households. Not a bunch of unrelated people (clients) in a small enclosed room. Besides, it's been like that since before the height of the peak and before restaurants restrictions relaxed.

MennoSota

Reaction score
We were talking about catastrophes in this country. That was obvious from the thread being about the US covid death number, not the worldwide number.

The swine flu caused 284k deaths worldwide, but only 12k in the US. The black plague was from before the US was a country.

"Many others". Which ones and what were their US deaths?
How many indigenous people died from smallpox?
It's interesting to see you attempt to box your timeline in to make the glass seem less full.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
That's a blip when you look at numbers instead of percentage. But, that's why statisticians will use percentages. They can make a tiny blip seem like an astronomically high death toll.
I am not saying that Covid did not kill people. Of course it did. I am saying that the numbers, held up against the total population, are not devastating to our society.
If anything, to most people saying half a million more deaths last year would get more of a "wow" reaction than saying an 18% increase. Over a year, an 18% increase is pretty significant though.

Top Bottom