Wally

Reaction score
It's not "suppression" but the only reason R's are opposed to PR is that they think they can't win there. Which is dumb because they could.

Yep.
They know they can't win DC tho. Not with their current positions.

Section2

Reaction score
It's not "suppression" but the only reason R's are opposed to PR is that they think they can't win there. Which is dumb because they could.
The most awful racist bigoted party ever says Howie.
could win national elections in PR says Howie.
suuuuure.
there are lots of good reasons to oppose PR statehood and very few good reasons to add them. Let’s not pretend this isn’t purely about adding 4 likely senators to the D side of the aisle. Don’t insult everyone’s intelligence.

Wally

Reaction score
suuuuure.
there are lots of good reasons to oppose PR statehood and very few good reasons to add them. Let’s not pretend this isn’t purely about adding 4 likely senators to the D side of the aisle. Don’t insult everyone’s intelligence.

In Puerto Rico, Conservatives Sweep Island-Wide, But Progressives May Score One Big Win​

Puerto Rico had no say in Tuesday night’s presidential election. But candidates from the traditionally conservative-leaning party won the top two island-wide seats in the United States’ largest territorial possession.

Jenniffer González-Colón, Puerto Rico’s nonvoting representative in the U.S. Congress and a vocal ally of President Donald Trump, easily cruised to reelection early Tuesday evening. Pedro Pierluisi, a veteran politician and former lobbyist for a coal-fired utility accused of contaminating groundwater, is projected to win the race to be the island’s next governor.

2020 elections.
So Deuce were you just talking out your ass?
What made you assume Puerto Rico would elect democrat Senators?
I can only think of one thing.....
But you're colorblind.
🙄🙄🙄

Section2

Reaction score
Yep.
They know they can't win DC tho. Not with their current positions.
Mondale won DC with 85% of the vote in 1984. It’s not about their current positions.

Section2

Reaction score

In Puerto Rico, Conservatives Sweep Island-Wide, But Progressives May Score One Big Win​

Puerto Rico had no say in Tuesday night’s presidential election. But candidates from the traditionally conservative-leaning party won the top two island-wide seats in the United States’ largest territorial possession.

Jenniffer González-Colón, Puerto Rico’s nonvoting representative in the U.S. Congress and a vocal ally of President Donald Trump, easily cruised to reelection early Tuesday evening. Pedro Pierluisi, a veteran politician and former lobbyist for a coal-fired utility accused of contaminating groundwater, is projected to win the race to be the island’s next governor.

2020 elections.
But you're colorblind.
🙄🙄🙄
I don’t think progressives are pushing PR statehood so they can lose two more senate seats. Maybe they wouldn’t win today, but once the machine takes hold, they feel really good about their long term chances. Lets just stop pretending.

Wally

Reaction score
I don’t think progressives are pushing PR statehood so they can lose two more senate seats. Maybe they wouldn’t win today, but once the machine takes hold, they feel really good about their long term chances. Lets just stop pretending.
The only way it happens is in conjunction with DC and the last election results solidify that belief for me.

Spoofin

Reaction score
Link or another ‘gut feel’?

howeda7

Reaction score
The Machine. Totally.

The Poor QOP. The truest victims. They can't win if too many minorities vote. That's why SCOTUS must let them pass voter suppression laws. Give them a fighting chance!

Wally

Reaction score
Link or another ‘gut feel’?
Hows this?

2020 elections.
But you're colorblind.
🙄🙄🙄

Wally

Reaction score
How’s that as proof the R’s are only opposed to PR because they think they can’t win? Pretty poor actually.

Deuce said Republicans are opposed because they think they can't win. I put up proof that they could win.

I was kind of surprised because my biased assumption was the same as Deuces, but that turned out to be wrong.

Spoofin

Reaction score
Deuce said Republicans are opposed because they think they can't win. I put up proof that they could win.

I was kind of surprised because my biased assumption was the same as Deuces, but that turned out to be wrong.
You replied to my post which was asking Howie for a link on his claim .... “the only reason R’s are against PR is they don’t think they can win.” Let’s agree your link does a very poor job of supporting that claim.

Wally

Reaction score
You replied to my post which was asking Howie for a link on his claim .... “the only reason R’s are against PR is they don’t think they can win.” Let’s agree your link does a very poor job of supporting that claim.

I was supporting his statement that Republicans can win in Puerto Rico. The last sentence below.

howeda7 said:
It's not "suppression" but the only reason R's are opposed to PR is that they think they can't win there. Which is dumb because they could

Spoofin

Reaction score
I was supporting his statement that Republicans can win in Puerto Rico. The last sentence below.

howeda7 said:
It's not "suppression" but the only reason R's are opposed to PR is that they think they can't win there. Which is dumb because they could
So not the part I bolded and asked him for a link on in the post of mine you quoted? Well.......

Section2

Reaction score
The Machine. Totally.

The Poor QOP. The truest victims. They can't win if too many minorities vote. That's why SCOTUS must let them pass voter suppression laws. Give them a fighting chance!
inner city politics are a grift machine.

The best kind of post is one that calls his opponent a whiny victim, while covering themselves in the comforts of voter suppression victimhood.

Section2

Reaction score

I didn’t say that. I said Democrats support PR and DC because they think it will give them 4 senate seats. That’s one reason to oppose. But the main one; median income of $20k per year and a 45% poverty rate.
Dems see a lot of votes that can be bought. No thanks.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
They are citizens
Not quite:

“...the prevailing consensus among scholars, lawmakers and policymakers is that Puerto Ricans are not entitled to a constitutional citizenship status. While Puerto Ricans are officially U.S. citizens, the territory remains unincorporated. This contradiction has enabled the governance of Puerto Rico as a separate and unequal territory that belongs to, but is not a part of, the United States...”

You need to read the following to understand. There are levels of citizenship and Puerto Ricans aren’t conferred the same level of citizenship as US born.

Wally

Reaction score
Not quite:

“...the prevailing consensus among scholars, lawmakers and policymakers is that Puerto Ricans are not entitled to a constitutional citizenship status. While Puerto Ricans are officially U.S. citizens, the territory remains unincorporated. This contradiction has enabled the governance of Puerto Rico as a separate and unequal territory that belongs to, but is not a part of, the United States...”

You need to read the following to understand. There are levels of citizenship and Puerto Ricans aren’t conferred the same level of citizenship as US born.

If they move to the mainland they are equal to you or me, unless they are over 80 years old. From your article.

""anyone born in Puerto Rico after 1940 acquired a U.S. citizenship as a direct result of being born on Puerto Rican soil""

jamiche

Reaction score
inner city politics are a grift machine.

The best kind of post is one that calls his opponent a whiny victim, while covering themselves in the comforts of voter suppression victimhood.
Sending billions more to the farmers and rural murkah after slapping tariffs on China isn't grift, melvy?

Rural politics is a grift machine.

jamiche

Reaction score
I didn’t say that. I said Democrats support PR and DC because they think it will give them 4 senate seats. That’s one reason to oppose. But the main one; median income of $20k per year and a 45% poverty rate.
Nine of the ten poorest states in the country are donalds. Get rid of them. No thanks.

Section2

Reaction score
Sending billions more to the farmers and rural murkah after slapping tariffs on China isn't grift, melvy?

Rural politics is a grift machine.
You think the only grift is a federal grift. No no no.

cncmin

Reaction score
You think the only grift is a federal grift. No no no.
You should be honest here. If the roles were reversed, and rural America was blue and inner city American was red, you'd be singing a completely different tune.

cncmin

Reaction score
suuuuure.

Sounds like you're saying that the GOP is pro-white and anti-all-else. Weird.

cncmin

Reaction score
Red states severely under-represent metro areas as portion of populace (and as a portion of income and wealth) in not only their state legislatures, but at the federal level through absurd gerrymandering practices and voting suppression tactics. In both cases, it gives the Republican Party power they shouldn't have, if the system was set up fairly. As the Boston Tea Party did, seems about time for the metro areas to rebel against those states who tax them without proper representation by seceding and forming their own states. That would be one way to either quickly end the practice of gerrymandering, or solve the misrepresentation of these folks at the federal level. If this happened, the QOP might not hold the House or Senate for the next several decades. At the very least, it would force the QOP to either start being fair or actually try to work for votes instead of simply cheating and gaming the system.

Last edited:
Top Bottom