2020 NBA Playoffs

Parcival

Reaction score
Thought it'd be cool to have a GH thread for all of us following the NBA playoffs. My takeaways from yesterdays games are that Jazz Nuggets will be a very competitive series and that the Mavericks got completely robbed by the bogus Porzingis ejection early in the 3rd quarter.

A-Town Owl

Reaction score
Toronto looked good yesterday (against a weak Nets team) and they're my pick to win it all. Lakers haven't looked that great in the bubble, but will be interesting to see how LeBron ramps up to playoff mode, I assume they've been coasting so far.

WriterGoph

Reaction score
Awesome to see the Lakers get beat tonight! Dame Time in full effect.

goldenboy

Reaction score
I’m much more of a college hoops fan than NBA, but I would typically tune in for the playoffs. They’ve lost me by aligning behind BLM, though. I’m starving for live sports, but I likely won’t watch a minute if I have to put up with that. I’m all for justice, tolerance, and understanding, but that’s not what BLM is about.

Biggsohnasty

Reaction score
I’m much more of a college hoops fan than NBA, but I would typically tune in for the playoffs. They’ve lost me by aligning behind BLM, though. I’m starving for live sports, but I likely won’t watch a minute if I have to put up with that. I’m all for justice, tolerance, and understanding, but that’s not what BLM is about.
Love or hate the NBA's wokeness, it's pretty easy to just wait a few minutes to tune in and not pay attention to the BLM stuff that takes up a lot of the oxygen before the games.

For what it's worth, I haven't noticed anything after the first few nights in terms of the kneeling or social justice things. So if that's stuck in people's proverbial craw, it's not really present anymore.

builtbadgers

Reaction score
There will be entire college basketball conferences that wear a BLM patch on the uniforms.

WriterGoph

Reaction score
This is one of the more silly and stubborn things I've read in a while.

A. I've been watching all the games and have hardly noticed this other than the sign on the floor. The players have various different messages on their jerseys, which is cool.

B. I guess you are literally going to watch no sports then? Everything I've seen from European Soccer to NHL to MLB to the PGA is showing their support for social justice and making the statement that Black Lives Matter. If you don't think NFL or CFB - where the majority of players are black - will also be promoting social justice, you're blind.

C. The Lakers re-working of the red MAGA hats into justice for Breonna Taylor the other night was brilliant. Loved that LeBron wore it in his post game presser. Hopefully it ruffled some feathers.

D. This must be a really frustrating time for you to be alive. You got to enjoy all those years where issues of racial injustice were kept out of the mainstream view of society. Shame on these minorities (and "woke whites) for finally making a stand, right?

GopherBlood666

Reaction score
This is one of the more silly and stubborn things I've read in a while.

A. I've been watching all the games and have hardly noticed this other than the sign on the floor. The players have various different messages on their jerseys, which is cool.

B. I guess you are literally going to watch no sports then? Everything I've seen from European Soccer to NHL to MLB to the PGA is showing their support for social justice and making the statement that Black Lives Matter. If you don't think NFL or CFB - where the majority of players are black - will also be promoting social justice, you're blind.

C. The Lakers re-working of the red MAGA hats into justice for Breonna Taylor the other night was brilliant. Loved that LeBron wore it in his post game presser. Hopefully it ruffled some feathers.

D. This must be a really frustrating time for you to be alive. You got to enjoy all those years where issues of racial injustice were kept out of the mainstream view of society. Shame on these minorities (and "woke whites) for finally making a stand, right?
Not to speak for him, but BLM is not just supporting racial equality. They are using the message to riot, storm neighborhoods, burn buildings, and have even attempted to extort businesses in the Louisville area. Also came out in support of the Chicago riots recently by stating looting is reparations. So while they are bringing some important issues to the forefront, they are at the same time promoting destruction. I do not think it's silly if people don't want political messages thrown at them during a sporting event.

WriterGoph

Reaction score
Not to speak for him, but BLM is not just supporting racial equality. They are using the message to riot, storm neighborhoods, burn buildings, and have even attempted to extort businesses in the Louisville area. Also came out in support of the Chicago riots recently by stating looting is reparations. So while they are bringing some important issues to the forefront, they are at the same time promoting destruction. I do not think it's silly if people don't want political messages thrown at them during a sporting event.
A message cannot be a "THEY". These leagues are making a statement. It's not like they have "Biden 2020" signs on the floor.

I think you're having trouble differentiating between the Black Lives Matter group and organizations/people that make the statement "Black Lives Matter". I don't see the shirts and the signs at sporting events as a political message, just a social one.

But again, I guess enjoy life without sports then. I don't see any sports league backing down from supporting that social statement. And they should not. The message needs to be pounded into this country's brain ad nauseam.

GopherBlood666

Reaction score
A message cannot be a "THEY". These leagues are making a statement. It's not like they have "Biden 2020" signs on the floor.

I think you're having trouble differentiating between the Black Lives Matter group and organizations/people that make the statement "Black Lives Matter". I don't see the shirts and the signs at sporting events as a political message, just a social one.

But again, I guess enjoy life without sports then. I don't see any sports league backing down from supporting that social statement. And they should not. The message needs to be pounded into this country's brain ad nauseam.
You're entitled to your opinion, but I am to mine as well. They funnel enough money through BLM to the DNC that it is easy to make a political connection. You are blind or naive to think politics are not involved. It is very hard for anyone to make a distinction between the message and the organization when the message is the name of the organization.

WriterGoph

Reaction score
You're entitled to your opinion, but I am to mine as well. They funnel enough money through BLM to the DNC that it is easy to make a political connection. You are blind or naive to think politics are not involved. It is very hard for anyone to make a distinction between the message and the organization when the message is the name of the organization.
I guess if a person is more wrapped up in politics than their passion for sports, then it could be time to find a new hobby. Athletes and leagues messaging for social justice and causes is 100% not going backwards from here. It's a great platform for them and I personally enjoy seeing players speaking up and support causes. The days of megastars like Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods staying neutral for image and more endorsement money are done. Considering how much money these leagues have made for decades off these (mostly) black players, it's the least they could do to support these causes.

goldenboy

Reaction score
I guess if a person is more wrapped up in politics than their passion for sports, then it could be time to find a new hobby. Athletes and leagues messaging for social justice and causes is 100% not going backwards from here. It's a great platform for them and I personally enjoy seeing players speaking up and support causes. The days of megastars like Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods staying neutral for image and more endorsement money are done. Considering how much money these leagues have made for decades off these (mostly) black players, it's the least they could do to support these causes.
Agree, but they must accept the criticism, as well, when the organization they back morphs into the kind of anarchist terrorism evil we see out of BLM as they intertwine with ANTIFA.

GopherBlood666

Reaction score
Which is why no one minded when they did campaigns like NBA cares. When it is the name of an organization that is literally praising groups for looting and rioting that may turn some people off, just sayin. They could do their own social justice campaign if they wanted without adopting black lives matter.

builtbadgers

Reaction score
As a minority there is a ton of truth to your post but then should James and others making millions of a travesty of human rights labor on product they wear. Or is it ok to push on area but ignore the other ? Then on top of that making money pushing those expensive shoes to millions of people that can not really afford them.

goldenboy

Reaction score
I think the general public has a pretty inaccurate idea of that the BLM organization is all about. If you read their website it’s pretty plain that they are more revolutionary politicos than social justice advocates. They just hopped on the racial injustice train because it gave them an audience for their radical leftist agenda. Backing BLM because you think blacks are being discriminated against is no different than supporting the KKK because you feel that poor whites don’t get a fair deal. Both organizations are way outside the values of the vast majority of people.

LongTimeGopher

Reaction score
I think the general public has a pretty inaccurate idea of that the BLM organization is all about. If you read their website it’s pretty plain that they are more revolutionary politicos than social justice advocates. They just hopped on the racial injustice train because it gave them an audience for their radical leftist agenda. Backing BLM because you think blacks are being discriminated against is no different than supporting the KKK because you feel that poor whites don’t get a fair deal. Both organizations are way outside the values of the vast majority of people.
A couple of very good points goldenboy. WriterGoph, I've enjoyed your posts for the most part over the past few years, but you are speaking for yourself only and not the general population. MJ and Tiger have made more than enough money so they will still stay neutral. We have seen this from them already. For you to be condescending and say " I guess if a person is more wrapped up in politics than their passion for sports, then it could be time to find a new hobby. " is complete BS. People can love sports but not love the politics involved!! The politics can kill the love of the sport for many people. Just because you don't see it that way doesn't mean no one else should either!!

BarnBurner

Reaction score
A couple of very good points goldenboy. WriterGoph, I've enjoyed your posts for the most part over the past few years, but you are speaking for yourself only and not the general population. MJ and Tiger have made more than enough money so they will still stay neutral. We have seen this from them already. For you to be condescending and say " I guess if a person is more wrapped up in politics than their passion for sports, then it could be time to find a new hobby. " is complete BS. People can love sports but not love the politics involved!! The politics can kill the love of the sport for many people. Just because you don't see it that way doesn't mean no one else should either!!
A lot of folks are done with sports. The edge had arrived. Many ways to spend free time. I bypass every nba and nhl game now. Not one minute.

Chico Gopher

Reaction score
A lot of folks are done with sports. The edge had arrived. Many ways to spend free time. I bypass every nba and nhl game now. Not one minute.
I find it interesting that so many criticize athletes/performers for Not using their fame and platform to address national/social issues, while at the same time, an equal number of folks criticize athletes/performers for using their fame and platform to address those issues.

If you have a platform and ability to reach a large amount of people, and many of those people are asking you to do so, should you address those issues in a way that will reach those people or should you just shut-up and do the job (truck driver, accountant, dentist, car salesman, medical researcher, or whatever your profession is) you're being paid for?

One more thought. Let's say I'm a singer and one of my most popular songs involves thoughts regarding sexual abuse or government malfeasance. Should I not sing that song at my concert because it might make a few attendees uncomfortable because I expressed my thoughts about a serious life issue?

Last edited:

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Doncic with an incredible game and even better game winner. He's moved himself into a Top 5 NBA player and he's only 20.

Howl Wolves!!

BarnBurner

Reaction score
I find it interesting that so many criticize athletes/performers for Not using their fame and platform to address national/social issues, while at the same time, an equal number of folks criticize athletes/performers for using their fame and platform to address those issues.

If you have a platform and ability to reach a large amount of people, and many of those people are asking you to do so, should you address those issues in a way that will reach those people or should you just shut-up and do the job (truck driver, accountant, dentist, car salesman, medical researcher, or whatever your profession is) you're being paid for?

One more thought. Let's say I'm a singer and one of my most popular songs involves thoughts regarding sexual abuse or government malfeasance. Should I not sing that sing that song at my concert because it might make a few attendees uncomfortable because I expressed my thoughts about a serious life issue?
Crying blm from Lebron is disgusting. The in your face presentation. Millionaire athletes crying foul. Silence on China. Hypocrisy.
The edge is here. I think future athletes will be none too happy with their fate in comparison. They can thank Lebron.

GringaGopher

Reaction score

One more thought. Let's say I'm a singer and one of my most popular songs involves thoughts regarding sexual abuse or government malfeasance. Should I not sing that song at my concert because it might make a few attendees uncomfortable because I expressed my thoughts about a serious life issue?
You are asking important ?'s. It seems that it is the intersection of politics with sports, music or the arts is where many of the issues come into play. The shut up and dribble, sing and act sentiment is powerful. We want to be entertained but are annoyed if the entertainers don't share our political beliefs. Tribal politics on both sides have created this environment and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Chico Gopher

Reaction score
Crying blm from Lebron is disgusting. The in your face presentation. Millionaire athletes crying foul. Silence on China. Hypocrisy.
The edge is here. I think future athletes will be none too happy with their fate in comparison. They can thank Lebron.
Hmm. It was basically a yes/no question being asked in my comment. Are you of the opinion that it completely depends on what issue entertainers/athletes might be addressing that makes it OK and valid or not?

BarnBurner

Reaction score
Hmm. It was basically a yes/no question being asked in my comment. Are you of the opinion that it completely depends on what issue entertainers/athletes might be addressing that makes it OK and valid or not?
Do anything they want. Fine with me.
College and pro sports just hit the edge, IMO. The absurd salaries and all that goes with it. Best thing that could happen is for the owners to suffer. Then the overpaid whiny lil fellers and ladies can remember how good it once was.

WriterGoph

Reaction score
I don't think that was condescending at all. I'm basically saying each person is going to have to make their own decision. If someone is so bothered that athletes and leagues are using their platform to support a social movement, then I don't see that changing and it might be time to find a new hobby. What's wrong with that? Am I supposed to say "Oh, the leagues/athletes should shut up" so that a small minority of people aren't uncomfortable with the intersection of sports/social issues/politics?

For me, my passion for sports would override that - but did I say that everyone had to feel the same way? no, I didn't. I just said a person might want to fill their time with something else if it bothers them that much

coolhandgopher

Reaction score
Doncic with an incredible game and even better game winner. He's moved himself into a Top 5 NBA player and he's only 20.

Howl Wolves!!
To look back at that draft and see essentially 3 teams passing on Doncic is incredible-even though there doesn’t seem to be a bust among them, Doncic is turning into a generational player. Dude knows how to rise to the occasion too. Plus he seems to have a joy on the court that reminds me of Magic.

WriterGoph

Reaction score
I think that was fantastic that just now in his on-court post game interview after the Thunder win, Chris Paul instead brought up the police shooting in Kenosha and Jacob Blake. Using his platform to bring attention to something far greater than sports.

If anyone has a problem with Paul speaking up like that, you either:

A. Prefer to live in blissful ignorance that these things are happening all the time in America.

Or

B. Have a real problem with minorities finally standing up and speaking out on very visible platforms.

builtbadgers

Reaction score
I think that was fantastic that just now in his on-court post game interview after the Thunder win, Chris Paul instead brought up the police shooting in Kenosha and Jacob Blake. Using his platform to bring attention to something far greater than sports.

If anyone has a problem with Paul speaking up like that, you either:

A. Prefer to live in blissful ignorance that these things are happening all the time in America.

Or

B. Have a real problem with minorities finally standing up and speaking out on very visible platforms.
Agree and that when doing so they should mention all the children and innocent bystanders that die at the hands of gangster gunfire. That is a huge number and needs attention. To never mention it is ignoring the problem.

golf

Reaction score

Ditto

Top Bottom