2020 Democrat Presidential Candidate News...

howeda7

Reaction score
"You're a lying dog-faced pony soldier"-- Bidens response to a fairly polite young woman who asked him about his electability in the wake of Iowa.

WTF?
Apparently it's a joke from a John Wayne movie. Which puts it up there with his "record player" comment. Uff da.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
I think a different way to look at the poll - moderates vs progressives.

Sanders + Warren = 39%
Pete + Amy + Biden = 45%.

I think that is a fairly accurate estimation of where the party is at. Slightly more moderates than progressives.

howeda7

Reaction score

Sanders + Warren = 39%

I think that is a fairly accurate estimation of where the party is at. Slightly more moderates than progressives.
Plus, if/when Warren drops out, I don't think her supporters go 100% to Bernie. Maybe 2/3 do. So that would make it more like Not Bernie 50%, Bernie 34%.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
judges who have reached the highest pinnacle in their profession
If the last two actually were talented, intelligent individuals, who rose to the top of a competitive field during a rigorous vetting process, you might have a reasonable point.

But of course you know that the only reason they were selected is that they got that short-listed by a hyper-partisan group that is funded by shadow monsters who dream of radicalizing the country.

That’s what’s disgusting and pathetic.

Will absolutely and without question support a Dem 2020 president in packing the court with at least one, if not two, new, additional judges, to replace the two that were stolen.

Face The Facts

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
The “moderates” of the Democrat Party are proposing ‘Medicare-For-All-who want it’.

So suppose the Federal government subsidizes are large chunk of Burger King’s operating costs and BK is able to lower its prices to half that of McDonald’s. Do you think McDonald’s will be able to stay in business?

‘Medicare for All who want it‘ IS a little slower path to Medicare for All. Stop trying to deceive the people.

Then, after everyone is going to BK, how long before their service and product sucks b/c they are the only choice? Answer: not long
It might hurt McDonald's in that case, but maybe not Outback Steak House and definitely not Manny's.

Face The Facts

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score

Sanders + Warren = 39%

I think Pete is doing his best to play both sides.
He's a real flip flopper and changes his tune depending on where the most recent donor cash came from.

If Pete dropped, I would expect his votes to be split up in both groups (Warren / Sanders) and (Joe / Amy)

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Pete is not real to me, at the moment.

He’s doing well in the two early mostly-white states. Let’s see about when it gets real.

I hope somehow Amy can hang on, and power through the jumble of Biden’s dementia, and Pete’s mayo whiteness, to at least be in a position to give it a real shot.

She’d be as good a president as Hillary would’ve, without all the fake hatred that conservatives conjured up for her. She has the experience, and she can compromise and work with people.

No idea how blacks are going to react when/if Biden legit loses steam. He’s their guy. They got Obama his easy wins. Not sure if they can get behind any of the other candidates, at the same level.

Last edited:

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
"You're a lying dog-faced pony soldier"-- Bidens response to a fairly polite young woman who asked him about his electability in the wake of Iowa.

WTF?
If Biden were still the front runner, howie would have been telling us why it doesn’t matter and how Trump is worse.

Sadly, now howie doesn’t care.

howeda7

Reaction score
If Biden were still the front runner, howie would have been telling us why it doesn’t matter and how Trump is worse.

Sadly, now howie doesn’t care.
It matters. But yes, Trump is much worse. So is Bernie.

howeda7

Reaction score
The problem is that if at least 3 of Pete/Joe/Amy/Bloomberg go to Super Tuesday, it almost assures no one will get 50% + of total delegates and makes it likely Bernie will have the "most" even if only 35% of the total. If Amy beats Joe tomorrow, he should drop out and endorse her. Or perhaps they even run on a ticket with her at the top instead of him.

cjbfbp

Reaction score
Plus, if/when Warren drops out, I don't think her supporters go 100% to Bernie. Maybe 2/3 do. So that would make it more like Not Bernie 50%, Bernie 34%.
Correct. My guess is that a fair percentage of Warren voters were Hillary supporters in 2016. For many Hillary supporters, the choice in this primary would be "anyone but Sanders."

MplsGopher

Reaction score
There’s also a chance some women supporters of Warren would go for Amy as a woman, if she’s still in.

It’s just really tough for me seeing Warren, as much of a juggernaut as she’s been as a candidate for a long time now, not going all the way to the convention. I guess the same would be said for Biden too. Who knows. Some days I think he wants to be there, other days I think he’s just putting on a good face for the sake of the country.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Bloomberg already IS running an independent campaign, as far as I‘m concerned. He should just cut to that chase.

howeda7

Reaction score
There’s also a chance some women supporters of Warren would go for Amy as a woman, if she’s still in.

It’s just really tough for me seeing Warren, as much of a juggernaut as she’s been as a candidate for a long time now, not going all the way to the convention. I guess the same would be said for Biden too. Who knows. Some days I think he wants to be there, other days I think he’s just putting on a good face for the sake of the country.
Neither will go all the way to the convention unless it looks like it will be brokered. I could see Warren ending up as a compromise candidate between the party and the Bernie Bros. Biden will drop out once he has no viable path to win.

howeda7

Reaction score
Bloomberg already IS running an independent campaign, as far as I‘m concerned. He should just cut to that chase.
Bloomberg running independent ensures Trump a victory. I'm OK with it if Bernie is the nominee because he's going to lose anyway. In all other cases, no.

cjbfbp

Reaction score
Pete is not real to me, at the moment.

He’s doing well in the two early mostly-white states. Let’s see about when it gets real.
Yes, that's the standard line about those states but I think perspective misses their value. What Iowa and NH have in common is that they are swing states so selling well in those states does mean something. They are about in the middle of the country when it comes to partisanship. California is a very diverse state but it's going to vote for the Democratic candidate regardless. Mississippi is only about 59% white but it's going to vote for Trump regardless.

Furthermore, without the extensive voter contact in those first two states, you're not going to have candidate with low name recognition like Mayor Pete (or maybe even Klobuchar) this time or Jimmy Carter in 1976 moving forward.

I don't disagree that Mayor Pete may fade quickly after those states but, then again, he may not. His calm, articulate, and cerebral demeanor is a contrast with most of the other candidates (and Trump) and some people find that appealing.

cjbfbp

Reaction score
Bloomberg running independent ensures Trump a victory. I'm OK with it if Bernie is the nominee because he's going to lose anyway. In all other cases, no.
I believe that Bloomberg has ruled out running as an independent. He's primarily running to defeat Trump and he knows that would split the vote.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Bloomberg running independent ensures Trump a victory.
I say this in the nicest, and with all due respect that you’ve earned, way possible:

I know from the basketball threads how much of a hardcore pessimist you are. You’re even worse than me, and that’s something! (y) :cool:

howeda7

Reaction score
I say this in the nicest, and with all due respect that you’ve earned, way possible:

I know from the basketball threads how much of a hardcore pessimist you are. You’re even worse than me, and that’s something! (y) :cool:
Do you dispute this fact?

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Yes, that's the standard line about those states but I think perspective misses their value. What Iowa and NH have in common is that they are swing states so selling well in those states does mean something. They are about in the middle of the country when it comes to partisanship. California is a very diverse state but it's going to vote for the Democratic candidate regardless. Mississippi is only about 59% white but it's going to vote for Trump regardless.

Furthermore, without the extensive voter contact in those first two states, you're not going to have candidate with low name recognition like Mayor Pete (or maybe even Klobuchar) this time or Jimmy Carter in 1976 moving forward.

I don't disagree that Mayor Pete may fade quickly after those states but, then again, he may not. His calm, articulate, and cerebral demeanor is a contrast with most of the other candidates (and Trump) and some people find that appealing.
He is appealing. He has a bright future.

He and Booker gave the best interviews to the NYT editorial board, in my opinion, from what was shown on The Weekly.

But I don’t think this cycle is his time, yet. I think he would be doing an immeasurable service to step aside, this time, and set himself up for a future run:

howeda7

Reaction score
I believe that Bloomberg has ruled out running as an independent. He's primarily running to defeat Trump and he knows that would split the vote.
I believe that's true. But I'm afraid he's just aiding turning the primary into a giant cluster $%^

howeda7

Reaction score
Nothing is a fact, at this point. Agree to disagree (y)
I would love it if he could pull from both sides and actually win. But Trump's beloved 43% will follow him off a cliff. Bloomberg would only pull votes from the Dem.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Sounds like it’s a moot point. If he guaranteed not to run indy, then Dems should rightfully ignore him and exclude him from debates.

howeda7

Reaction score
Sounds like it’s a moot point. If he guaranteed not to run indy, then Dems should rightfully ignore him and exclude him from debates.
I think that would only be to his advantage. Excluding him from the debates does nothing to stop him when he's spending billions. He gets to shape the narrative unchallenged.

cjbfbp

Reaction score
He is appealing. He has a bright future.

He and Booker gave the best interviews to the NYT editorial board, in my opinion, from what was shown on The Weekly.

But I don’t think this cycle is his time, yet. I think he would be doing an immeasurable service to step aside, this time, and set himself up for a future run:
Perhaps but he can't do that yet. He has to test a few more waters. If and when he starts fading, then he should quit before he outlasts his welcome.

Top Bottom