2019-2020 Minnesota Twins Off-Season Thread

jamiche

Reaction score
Unless they pick up a premier starter, I think their strategy is to pound the crap out of the ball and rely on an above average bullpen. Get ready for a lot of 8-7 games. The starting staff is scary. Maybe they think that if they can get through the fifth having given up five runs or less, they will be in good shape.

howeda7

Reaction score
Unless they pick up a premier starter, I think their strategy is to pound the crap out of the ball and rely on an above average bullpen. Get ready for a lot of 8-7 games. The starting staff is scary. Maybe they think that if they can get through the fifth having given up five runs or less, they will be in good shape.
Once they get Pineda back, it might be OK. And if Rich Hill can give them anything, that's a bonus. But they have to make it through April and May first.

tmvander

Reaction score
I sure hope we're planning on limiting teams to less than 5 runs per start. That's a 9 ERA per starter if they throw 5 innings. I'm not a huge baseball stats guy but I think that's sub par.

jamiche

Reaction score
I sure hope we're planning on limiting teams to less than 5 runs per start. That's a 9 ERA per starter if they throw 5 innings. I'm not a huge baseball stats guy but I think that's sub par.
You bet it's sub par.

The Donaldson signing was great and a great surprise. I also think they got him for a fair price. It doesn't change the holes in their starting rotation. Berrios hasn't proven to be reliable after about mid July. Odo is competent but not dominant. I think Pineda is the most reliable of the three of them but he won't be available until about the second week of May. Last year it took him a while to get going after a layoff. After that...nada. The wild cards are Graderol and what they would have to give up in a trade to get a pitcher who can win 15 games in the regular season and start two games on a playoff series.

The bullpen should be a strength.

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
This was literally the only major FA left and the odds of them pulling this off based on history weren't good. And as awesome as their line-up is, Homer Baily, Randy Dobnak and Lewis Thorpe still make up 60% of their rotation.
And yet it is still mid-January...

Pardon me if, like I've been saying the last 2 months, I don't sound the panic alarms until we get to mid-late March and we know what the 26-man roster is going to be.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Graterol is the interesting situation. By all accounts, they want to limit his innings. So, how do they use him? I could see him paired with another starter - maybe Dobnak or Smeltzer - where each one goes for three innings. Basically split a starter's role between two pitchers. That extends his innings where Graterol could "half-start" 30-some games and get to 100 innings for the year.

Let's remember, Pineda will be back at some point and Rich Hill should be back mid-season. So, they need one plan to get through the first half of the season, and then for the second half, it's Berrios, Odorizzi, Pineda, Hill and Bailey, and if Graterol has innings left, put him in the pen. if they score enough runs, that rotation could be good enough for 90+ wins.

JimmyJamesMD

Reaction score
Graterol is the interesting situation. By all accounts, they want to limit his innings. So, how do they use him? I could see him paired with another starter - maybe Dobnak or Smeltzer - where each one goes for three innings. Basically split a starter's role between two pitchers. That extends his innings where Graterol could "half-start" 30-some games and get to 100 innings for the year.

Let's remember, Pineda will be back at some point and Rich Hill should be back mid-season. So, they need one plan to get through the first half of the season, and then for the second half, it's Berrios, Odorizzi, Pineda, Hill and Bailey, and if Graterol has innings left, put him in the pen. if they score enough runs, that rotation could be good enough for 90+ wins.
They still need a front line starter. Now that the lineup is set for the next couple of seasons, now is the time to be aggressive with selling prospects for pitching

Top Bottom