2016 Minnesota Twins Season Thread!

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
I'm increasingly liking the impending Falvey hire. I think he knows what to do and how to do it, simply put. The question is whether he'll be ALLOWED to do it. Pohlad's insistence that Molitor be retained is disquieting, not because I'm down on Paul but because of what that portends for other decisions. If the Twins operate like my employer, for instance, this is how the conversation will go:

Falvey: Here's what we need to do.
Pohlad: Oh, well, we can't do that. Do something else.
Falvey: Something else won't work.
Pohlad: Make it work.

That's how dysfunctional organizations operate.

station19

Reaction score
I'm increasingly liking the impending Falvey hire. I think he knows what to do and how to do it, simply put. The question is whether he'll be ALLOWED to do it. Pohlad's insistence that Molitor be retained is disquieting, not because I'm down on Paul but because of what that portends for other decisions. If the Twins operate like my employer, for instance, this is how the conversation will go:

Falvey: Here's what we need to do.
Pohlad: Oh, well, we can't do that. Do something else.
Falvey: Something else won't work.
Pohlad: Make it work.

That's how dysfunctional organizations operate.
I'm guessing you empoyer doesn't know who you are on Gopherhole.:eek:

Unregistered User

Wild animal with a keyboard
Reaction score
Pohlad's insistence that Molitor be retained is disquieting...
First off...congrats to Tom Brunansky. I can't believe that there are many people in MLB who have been a member of a team that would lose at least 102 games as both a coach and player with the same franchise.

And I think Pohlad's insistence is more than disquieting. For the past few years, the basic development of the players has been lacking. I remember when the Twins would play fundamentally sound ball. Last night, in the 2nd inning (for instance) Schafer misses the cut, up the line and the runner advances to 3rd. Doesn't show up as an error, but the player scores the next at bat when they should have been cut down trying to take 3rd. I know situations like that are not responsible for someone like Nolasco cutting his ERA in half after he moves on, but it can't help. There are mental errors all over the field and Molly has been with the team long enough without fixing it to make me believe he won't change that from happening next year as well. I think the fish is rotting from the head, and whomever is hired should be allowed great latitude with the entire organization.

Reaction score
They could lose 100 games next year unless management opens up the purse strings and go after any top shelf pitchers that might be available.

DeathClutch

Reaction score
They could lose 100 games next year unless management opens up the purse strings and go after any top shelf pitchers that might be available.
Welp, don't hold your breath because the upcoming SP FA class is downright terrible. Rich Hill, Jeremy Helkickson, and Ivan Nova. Those are your top 3 guys.

howeda7

Reaction score
Welp, don't hold your breath because the upcoming SP FA class is downright terrible. Rich Hill, Jeremy Helkickson, and Ivan Nova. Those are your top 3 guys.
Suddenly bringing Hector Santiago back at $8 million seems logical. Ugh.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
Well they did it! A record 103 losses with two more games to go.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

station19

Reaction score
Well they did it! A record 103 losses with two more games to go.

As Gene Mauch said after his Phillies lost 23 straight games(1961), "Well, you can't win em all".

Ewert86PC

Metrodome Era Survivor
Reaction score
What are the odds Molitor will be let go with the rest of the coaching staff at season's end?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
What are the odds Molitor will be let go with the rest of the coaching staff at season's end?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Practically zero, it seems. Ownership is stuck on Molitor, at least for the time being. It's important to remember, though, that they were also stuck on Ryan at one time. I think they said he could continue to work as GM as long as he wanted. They obviously went back on that statement.

Few seemed to notice, but Doug M's addition to the major league coaching staff is significant. They don't want to lose him to another franchise. He's their future manager.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
I think Twins fans (assuming they still exist!) need to be realistic.

If the Pohlads allow Falvey to undergo a complete re-working of the organization, that process is going to take years to complete. You're talking about revamping procedures and replacing key personnel for scouting, drafting, player development, minor-league coaching staffs, and the major league coaching staff - not to mention the latin-american operations, extended spring training, etc. It will take at least 5 years to turn over the personnel in the minor-league system, and to instill a complete change in attitude.

Now, there are short-term fixes available - through free agency and trades - but there are consequences to each route. if you go free-agency, you tie up a lot of payroll. If you make trades, you would have to give up a lot of top prospects to get usable major league players. (of course, if the new regime doesn't think as much of the current prospect, they might not mind letting some of the them go.)

station19

Reaction score
I think Twins fans (assuming they still exist!) need to be realistic.

If the Pohlads allow Falvey to undergo a complete re-working of the organization, that process is going to take years to complete. You're talking about revamping procedures and replacing key personnel for scouting, drafting, player development, minor-league coaching staffs, and the major league coaching staff - not to mention the latin-american operations, extended spring training, etc. It will take at least 5 years to turn over the personnel in the minor-league system, and to instill a complete change in attitude.

Now, there are short-term fixes available - through free agency and trades - but there are consequences to each route. if you go free-agency, you tie up a lot of payroll. If you make trades, you would have to give up a lot of top prospects to get usable major league players. (of course, if the new regime doesn't think as much of the current prospect, they might not mind letting some of the them go.)
Good points. Many fans will be unhappy to hear this though.

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
Twins finish with a flourish, and Buxton finishes with a monster month plus. Sano says he's going to lose weight in the off season. New guy coming in who knows about developing pitching. Maybe he can trade Dozier for a royal haul of young talent. POLLYANNA!!!

Top Bottom