Zulgad’s Roundup: Ben Johnson deserves praise for hot start by Gophers men’s basketball team

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Judd:

• The 8-1 start by the Gophers men’s basketball team, which includes the program’s first victory at Michigan since 2011, should have first-year coach Ben Johnson in the early lead to be Big Ten coach of the year. The Gophers were expected to be awful in Johnson’s first season, but instead they already have road victories against Mississippi State (81-76) and the Wolverines (75-65). Considering the fact that Johnson has a team filled with transfers, the work he has done is very impressive. The Big Ten has awarded a coach of the year since 1973-74. The Gophers’ Jim Dutcher won it in 1982, Clem Haskins in 1987 and Richard Pitino in 2017.

Go Gophers!!

Ironically, before the TAMCC game, a lot of people were praising Johnson. then the Gophers committed 28 turnovers against TAMCC, and some of the same media people were hitting the brakes on the praise.

Fair or not, games like that provide fuel to the doubters and cynics.

I think it's very important for the Gophers to come out with stronger performances for the next two non-conf games to get some momentum back and not give any more fuel to the critics.

Nice of Judd to at least mention them. Prior to this week, Skor North had spent maybe 2 minutes on Gopher basketball since the end of last season. As opposed to 87 hours discussing the Wolves and 57 Ben Simmons trade scenarios.

Ironically, before the TAMCC game, a lot of people were praising Johnson. then the Gophers committed 28 turnovers against TAMCC, and some of the same media people were hitting the brakes on the praise.

Fair or not, games like that provide fuel to the doubters and cynics.

I think it's very important for the Gophers to come out with stronger performances for the next two non-conf games to get some momentum back and not give any more fuel to the critics.
Honestly, I don't think Ben Johnson cares about the critics. That sloppy game is a very teachable moment and I have no doubt all those super seniors are embarrassed by their performance. I doubt it happens again.

Little nit picking, but they do have 3 straight road victories.
@ Pitt
@ Miss State
@ Mich

Last edited:

per Judd:

• The 8-1 start by the Gophers men’s basketball team, which includes the program’s first victory at Michigan since 2011, should have first-year coach Ben Johnson in the early lead to be Big Ten coach of the year. The Gophers were expected to be awful in Johnson’s first season, but instead they already have road victories against Mississippi State (81-76) and the Wolverines (75-65). Considering the fact that Johnson has a team filled with transfers, the work he has done is very impressive. The Big Ten has awarded a coach of the year since 1973-74. The Gophers’ Jim Dutcher won it in 1982, Clem Haskins in 1987 and Richard Pitino in 2017.

Go Gophers!!
Thanks Judd. Great research and fact-checking!

I wasn’t aware Clem was Big Ten Coach of the Year in 1987 when he led the Gophers to a 9-19 record, 2-16 in the Big Ten.

Thanks Judd. Great research and fact-checking!

I wasn’t aware Clem was Big Ten Coach of the Year in 1987 when he led the Gophers to a 9-19 record, 2-16 in the Big Ten.
Do you think it was 1997? Horrible typo. Newspapers these days seem to have lost their editing, proofreading, and evens pell-checking staff and ability.

As opposed to 87 hours discussing the Wolves and 57 Ben Simmons trade scenarios.

The amount of media time devoted to Ben Simmons trade scenarios has been nauseating. Most of it just involves people playing with an online NBA trade machine and deciding to write an article about their little scenario. Furthermore, Simmons is hardly the current version of Oscar Robertson and deserving of this much attention.

in terms of time spent discussing various teams, SKOR NORTH spends much more time on the Vikes than any other topic.

at least they have begun to mention some Gopher-related topics more often. But a lot of that comes from Doogie and everyone's favorite, Pat Reusse. Reusse and Joe Soucheray do a weekly podcast that also hits on some Gopher topics.

But, in my estimation, Skor North probably gives more time to the Gophers compared to KFAN.

Do you think it was 1997? Horrible typo. Newspapers these days seem to have lost their editing, proofreading, and evens pell-checking staff and ability.
Yes, he was off by 10 years. That’s a bad mistake/typo in these parts!

How is that possible? Skor North doesn't even have local programming.

Mackey & Judd do a daily sports podcast, and a separate Vikings Podcast. Reusse does a long podcast on Monday and does shorter segments with M & J three times a week. They have Doogie on with "scoops" twice a week - so they do a fair amount of local content - it just isn't on over-the-air radio - it's online only or on their youtube channel.

Mackey & Judd do a daily sports podcast, and a separate Vikings Podcast. Reusse does a long podcast on Monday and does shorter segments with M & J three times a week. They have Doogie on with "scoops" twice a week - so they do a fair amount of local content - it just isn't on over-the-air radio - it's online only or on their youtube channel.
I think they air an hour of the podcast each day on the radio too. Not sure. I' don't know many people under 75 who listen to AM radio.

No offense, but I hope you have to continue eating crow until you burst! :eek::p
None taken... I was adamantly negative about this hire. I hope I am proven wrong on a level to where I learn from my mistakes

I'm no big KFAN defender, but I think it is a bit ambitious to say Skor North offers more Gopher coverage based on a few non-Gopher themed podcast videos a week with a few thousand views.

KFAN regularly has Burns, Scoggins, Tommy Olson, Grimm, Ron Johnson, Conzemius, and others on the airwaves. Ben Johnson has been on the morning show multiple times, including for like 90 minutes last week. I heard Tollackson on Thursday afternoon. Darrell Thompson is on occasionally. Gaard talks about the Gophers during the afternoon show every single day of the week and has his own show on Sundays that is mostly Gopher stuff. Plus, they have the Fleck and Johnson radio shows each week, not to mention the actual game broadcasts.

Just don't see how Doogie's Scoops with minimal Gopher mentions or Ruesse's regular negative rantings about the Gophers would come close to being more coverage, but I don't listen to much of it, so you may well be correct.

Last edited:

to be fair, the only time I listen to KFAN is when Barreiro is on. I have tried to listen to the morning show, but to me, it just sounds like idiots laughing at their own jokes. and Paul Allen knows nothing about any sport except for the Vikes and horse racing. I had the PA show on for a few minutes in the car while running errands, and it was PA and some woman complaining about how bad their fantasy football teams were doing.

at least with skor north, their sports shows are actually about sports.

Top Bottom