Zach Johnson of GI says Claeys was worst coach in West for recruiting

Stan

Reaction score
Zach is ripping the heck out of Claeys now. A week ago he never did. What changed? In Shama article he said Claeys was the worst head coach in Big Ten West for recruiting.

The cynic in me says he makes more money when the Gophs are involved in higher-rated recruiting battles

Zach is ripping the heck out of Claeys now. A week ago he never did. What changed? In Shama article he said Claeys was the worst head coach in Big Ten West for recruiting.

I hate to say it because I was always a Claeys supporter but I tend to agree. How were we ranked 12th this year before he was fired? If coach Kill was here we would of been higher.

Either way Claeys got a raw deal getting fired like that.

Zach has his nose fully entrenched in whomevers a$$ will give him a tidbit of info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate to say it because I was always a Claeys supporter but I tend to agree. How were we ranked 12th this year before he was fired? If coach Kill was here we would of been higher.

Either way Claeys got a raw deal getting fired like that.

Well, the number of commitments affects the rank. PJ added, what, eightrecruits in a day? Last three years Gophs have been ranked just above 50, and 9th or 10th in B1G. With all the added recruits, 2017 is at 48, and ranked 10th in B1G. NW is 9th, and I don't see Gophs passing them.

Like the rating services or not, we were ranked in recruiting at the bottom of the big ten with Claeys. Before the season, Claeys stated that this was the best team in the Kill / Claeys era. Claeys predicted 10 wins in the softest schedule with their best team. Win totals are clearly a measureable thing, and quality of classes are measurable things. By these measures Clawyes was not meeting his own stated goals. Go ahead and say clas rankings don't matter, but I would rather have one of the top classes vs the bottom one. I don't think anyone can honestly say the future was going up vs down with Claeys recruiting. All of these guys can coach, (with the exception of Brew) and looking at measure of scoring offense, defense scoring, and number of penalties WMU was also a better coaching measure too.

Well, the number of commitments affects the rank. PJ added, what, eightrecruits in a day? Last three years Gophs have been ranked just above 50, and 9th or 10th in B1G. With all the added recruits, 2017 is at 48, and ranked 10th in B1G. NW is 9th, and I don't see Gophs passing them.

And as the teams we passed fill out their class they will likely re pass us due simply to the effect of class size on rankings.

And as the teams we passed fill out their class they will likely re pass us due simply to the effect of class size on rankings.

Ummm, yeah...you probably should've actually looked at the B1G rankings before posting...

Good point- I will[emoji12]

Zach has his nose fully entrenched in whomevers a$$ will give him a tidbit of info

"Loyalty" or honesty aren't really in Johnson's vocabulary are they? :D

Agree. The site I use is 247 and they still have us 12th even after these new recruits. Iowa is 11th on there.

Zach Johnsons favorite coach was Brewster. He made the most money under that regime. Conclusions are easy to draw.

Agree. The site I use is 247 and they still have us 12th even after these new recruits. Iowa is 11th on there.

Pretty sure Gophs will end up were they have been the last few years. Around 50. Maybe B1G at the top is a bit stronger overall this year...who knows?

Zach is and has always been an absolute joke. I'm not surprised this is his take.

He has always failed to grasp the idea that the point of recruiting is to bring talent into the program. If a program is talented, it was recruited well. The rankings are simply a good indication of whether or not that will hold true in the future. The best "rating" of recruiting is the actual talent in the program.

Like the rating services or not, we were ranked in recruiting at the bottom of the big ten with Claeys. Before the season, Claeys stated that this was the best team in the Kill / Claeys era. Claeys predicted 10 wins in the softest schedule with their best team. Win totals are clearly a measureable thing, and quality of classes are measurable things. By these measures Clawyes was not meeting his own stated goals. Go ahead and say clas rankings don't matter, but I would rather have one of the top classes vs the bottom one. I don't think anyone can honestly say the future was going up vs down with Claeys recruiting. All of these guys can coach, (with the exception of Brew) and looking at measure of scoring offense, defense scoring, and number of penalties WMU was also a better coaching measure too.

His actual prediction was between 8 and 10 wins.

Clayes wasn't a good recruiter . Not his forte. The coaches like Anderson, Sawvel, Sherels, etc couldn't count on him to close on a recruit. All you have to do his look at the visits he had lined up before the second 5 incident. After that they really started pushing the JC ranks because the HS kids were closing the door because of the suspensions, boycott, etc. To the defense of Clayes, all the crap that went on didn't help.This class under Tracy was going to finish last in the B1G.

Didn't Kill say something about the number of wins or success of the program would be reflected in the following years recruiting class?
Because of the turmoil of the 2015 season - Kill having to resign, no idea who the coach would be after season, poor record and then also the interim status of Cleays, I can see why our recruiting class this year would be at or near the bottom.
This year we had a nine win season and showed continued improvement in most aspects of the team throughout the season - not the second half meltdown of our QB vs. Wisc.- but overall there was improvement. Couple that with an incredible victory in the Holiday Bowl, things were trending up and I believe Claeys and his staff would have been able to bring in a better class in 18. We will never get to find that out.
Because of the way Fleck has started these first two days, it appears he will be able improve our recruiting ranking in the years to come, provided he can build on the success that we have had on the field these past few seasons.

Why a coach would ever be judged by wins and recruiting instead of just wins is beyond me.

Why a coach would ever be judged by wins and recruiting instead of just wins is beyond me.

No one is suggesting they be judged on actual recruiting, but rather their recruiting rankings. Remember, you are in GH where some still argue that Brewster was a good recruiter.

Didn't Kill say something about the number of wins or success of the program would be reflected in the following years recruiting class?
Because of the turmoil of the 2015 season - Kill having to resign, no idea who the coach would be after season, poor record and then also the interim status of Cleays, I can see why our recruiting class this year would be at or near the bottom.
This year we had a nine win season and showed continued improvement in most aspects of the team throughout the season - not the second half meltdown of our QB vs. Wisc.- but overall there was improvement. Couple that with an incredible victory in the Holiday Bowl, things were trending up and I believe Claeys and his staff would have been able to bring in a better class in 18. We will never get to find that out.
Because of the way Fleck has started these first two days, it appears he will be able improve our recruiting ranking in the years to come, provided he can build on the success that we have had on the field these past few seasons.

The former coaching staff had 15 recruits committed of which 8 were 3 stars and 7 were 2 stars. The new staff has got 8 more recruits committed of which 5 are 3 stars and 3 are 2 stars. Not a big difference in star power but more commitments which means you more up on the rankings. Big difference is that we have recruited a 3 star QB, but overall, not a big difference in talent based upon rankings only. Time will tell within the next two years which talent is better.

That's because the Kill staff did not communicate with the recruiting services nor cared what they had to say. Classy carried on that tradition. This is purely revenge which is in poor taste. Zachary should just shut up and work his pay site.

Top Bottom