YOUR OPINION: Big Ten Power Rankings

MaroonGopher

Banned
Reaction score
Here is my personal power rankings. Teams 9-11 could easy be flipped around withy little argument. Keep in mind Purdue almost beat undefeated Notre Dame. Breaking down each team's schedule reminds me that this conference has zero signature wins right now. It's 0-for-3 against the Irish too.

1. Ohio State, 4-0: Beat Miami (OH), beat UCF, beat Cal, beat UAB
All wins against I-A opposition.

2. Michigan State, 3-1: Beat Boise State, beat Central Mich., LOST to Notre Dame, beat E. Michigan
Only loss is to powerful unbeaten Notre Dame. They also defeated ranked Boise State.

3. Northwestern, 4-0: Beat Syracuse, beat Vandy, beat Boston College, beat South Dakota
Three wins against three teams from major conferences.

4. Nebraska, 3-1: Beat Southern Miss., LOST to UCLA, beat Arkansas State, beat Idaho State
Only loss is to 3-1 UCLA.

5. Michigan, 2-2: LOST to Alabama, beat Air Force, beat UMAss, LOST to Notre Dame
Only losses are against powerful Alabama and Notre Dame.

6. Minnesota, 4-0: Beat UNLV, beat New Hampshire, beat Western Michigan, beat Syracuse
We know this story.

7. Purdue, 2-1: Beat Eastern Kentucky, LOST to Notre Dame, beat E. Michigan,
Only loss is to powerful Notre Dame, and it was close. Easy wins against Eastern half of Michigan and Kentucky.

8. Wisconsin, 3-1: Beat Northern Iowa, LOST Oregan State , beat Utah State, beat UTEP
Only loss is to unbeaten Oregan State (2-0). Should have lost to Utah State though. Played poorly down the stretch against I-AA Northern Iowa.

9. Illinois, 2-2: Beat Western Michigan, LOST to AZ State, beat Charleston Southern, LOST to LA Tech
Crushed against Arizona State team and LA Tech. AZ State is 3-1 with a loss to Mizzou while LA Tech is 3-0 with one of the top offenses in the nation.

10. Indiana, 2-1: Beat Indiana State, beat UMass, LOST to Ball State,
Ball State is a decent team that beat USF.

11. Penn State, 2-2: LOST to Ohio, LOST to Virginia, beat Navy, beat Temple
Virginia is 2-2 and Ohio is 3-0 with wins against Marshall and New Mexico State as well.

12. Iowa, 2-2: Beat Northern Illinois, LOST to Iowa State, beat Northern Iowa, LOST to Central Michigan
Lost at home to Central Michigan in a back-and-forth game that ended with a long FG after an onside kick recovery by the Chips.

I think you are pretty close. I would flip MN and Purdue because as you pointed out Purdue's only loss was to Notre Dame and they played them really tough at Notre Dame. I actually think there is a chance Purdue could even be ahead of Michigan at this point. I think 9-12 are interchangeable at this point and I agree that Wisconsin is a cut above that crop and really could be a tossup with Minnesota. Don't think there is much separation at all in the conference this year as nobody has looked dominant to this point.

This is the kind of year where Northwestern sneaks in and takes the title while everyone has their backed turned.

1. Ohio State- this one seems pretty clear, at least at this point. We'll see what happens against Michigan State
2. Michigan State- ugly win against Eastern Michigan, but shouldn't be punished too much for losing to Notre Dame
3. Nebraska- might have the best offense in the league. Surprisingly quiet in an easily winnable B1G race.
4. Purdue- Credit where credit is due. Purdue has looked great in their three wins, and played ND better than either Michigan school
5. Wisconsin- Oregon State looked pretty damn good against UCLA. Wisconsin might not be as bad as we hoped.
6. Northwestern- A lot has been made about their 3 BCS wins, but all three are bad teams that would probably fail to win a non-BCS league.
7. Michigan- They are two justifiable losses, but 2-2 is 2-2.
8. Minnesota- Could arguably be much higher, but I'm trying to be unbiased. Of the teams above us, I'm not certain we would be favorites against any of them.
9. Penn State- At the least, they have continued to fight. Could easily be 3-1 if they had a kicking game.
10. Iowa- It's a bad sign when your best playing is a walkon fullback. Ferentz needs a win or he may lose the team.
11. Illinois- Bad bad bad. Beckman reminds me too much of Brewster. All hat, no cattle.
12. Indiana- It's time to swap them with Rutgers.

I think you are pretty close. I would flip MN and Purdue because as you pointed out Purdue's only loss was to Notre Dame and they played them really tough at Notre Dame. I actually think there is a chance Purdue could even be ahead of Michigan at this point. I think 9-12 are interchangeable at this point and I agree that Wisconsin is a cut above that crop and really could be a tossup with Minnesota. Don't think there is much separation at all in the conference this year as nobody has looked dominant to this point.

This is the kind of year where Minnesota sneaks in and takes the title while everyone has their backed turned.

FIFY... :)

MSU #2 and Purdue #7? Purdue beat EMU by 38. MSU beat the same EMU team by only 16 and actually trailed in 3Q. Purdue lost to ND on a last second FG on the road. MSU got run out of their own stadium by ND. Purdue scored more points vs. ND than MSU and Michigan combined.

Nebraska
Purdue
Michigan
Michigan state
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Penn state
Iowa
Illinois
Indiana
Ohio state (illegal)

I would put Sconnie and Purdue ahead of us. Pains me to say it but its true. Purdue would be undefeated if they played our schedule and so would Sconnie. Sconnie is certainly down but I'm gonna save my enthusiasm until we roll into Camp Randall and beat them.

Top Bottom