Yahoo sports: Deconstructing: The grisly demise of 'Tressel Ball'

"It was a game where the coaching staff let everyone down by asking its team to execute a rubbish gameplan...Indeed, one of the problems with a plan that relies on fitting square pegs into round holes is that it makes the players look really bad -- the line doesn't look like it can block, the quarterback is always running for his life, and the running backs never have a hole."

Our offense through three quarters, weekly? It seems when we regress into that faux-spread in the fourth we appear to do much, much better. I'm not a great football mind, but we may be better off doing this for an entire game.

This was a great article. Matt Hinton continually does a superb job at analyzing week in, week out.

Though I will catch heck for it:

Much of this could be applied to us. We've been out-coached for vast stretches of both games, and our offensive coaching has simply been dismal--and, yes, grisly.

Six consecutive quarters without a touchdown versus Syracuse and Air Force. Woe betide us!

There is a significant segment of the Gopher fan base who would do well to read this quote and take it to heart:

"We're witnessing the evolution of offensive football. Anyone who says you have to establish the run before you can do anything is fooling themselves. They’re living in the deep dark past. It’s just not the way the game’s played now. ...

We're never going to see that Woody Hayes-, Bo Schembechler- style of football again, that run-first mentality. The game has totally changed in a matter of eight to 10 years, and especially in the last three or four."

That was written by Bill Walsh. Four years ago. It's time to stop living in the past.

"We're witnessing the evolution of offensive football. Anyone who says you have to establish the run before you can do anything is fooling themselves. They’re living in the deep dark past. It’s just not the way the game’s played now. ...

We're never going to see that Woody Hayes-, Bo Schembechler- style of football again, that run-first mentality. The game has totally changed in a matter of eight to 10 years, and especially in the last three or four."

Do not fully agree - while it may be a sin to bring up the local purple guys, the Vikings look to be establishing the run first, even with Favre at QB.

Overall however, I did like the article

Do not fully agree - while it may be a sin to bring up the local purple guys, the Vikings look to be establishing the run first, even with Favre at QB.

I think most teams would establish the run with Adrian Peterson at RB. If the Gophers had a back like Purple Jesus I would want them to hand it to him 40 times a game.

Pro game is totally different from the college game.

And we don't have Purple Jesus....

I just wish they'd run a little more on first down to get us into a more favorable 2nd down situation.

It's too close to the truth to be funny. But yeah that is better although not what I had in mind.

Great article. We are justifiably hard on Charlie Weiss not delivering results with great recruits. I think we have to be pretty hard on Tressel, as well. It's taken me a couple of years to come to this conclusion because he did win a National Championship. But for crying outloud, they have a top 3 recruiting class every year!

This cracked me up: "the overrated Senator Sweatervest"

Top Bottom