Yahoo: Ranking the 42 college football bowl games from best to worst (33. Guaranteed Rate Bowl: West Virginia (6-6) vs. Minnesota (8-4))

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Yahoo:

33. Guaranteed Rate Bowl: West Virginia (6-6) vs. Minnesota (8-4)​

It’s hard to get excited about this one unless you’re a fan of either of these teams. This is a Minnesota team that lost to Bowling Green and West Virginia has been the epitome of .500 this season. And with this bowl game in Phoenix, so far away from either school, there may not be many fans in attendance.

Go Gophers!!

CBS chimes in:

24. Guaranteed Rate Bowl: Minnesota vs. West Virginia​

Dec. 28, 10:15 p.m. -- OK, so this game probably isn't going to be high-scoring, but it should be close, and sometimes that's good enough. While they go about it in different ways -- Minnesota runs the ball so frequently you might confuse it for an option team -- the result is the same. Both teams average 2.25 points per drive, just above the national average of 2.22.

And you know what the matchup reminds me of? Go back to when this game was called the Cheez-It Bowl (not to be confused with the Cheez-It Bowl), and TCU and California played in a 10-7 thriller that needed overtime to find a winner. It was the worst-played great game of all time and will live on forever in the Bad Bowl Game Hall of Fame. While it's an impossible standard to meet, I think we could see history repeat itself here. Oh, and it's played in a baseball stadium. So much potential for stupid here.

Go Gophers!!

I don't know why this writer thinks this might be close to a 10-7 bowl. Putting aside our two offensive stinkers (BGSU and IL), we scored 23 on the #6 scoring defense, 22 on the #15 scoring defense, 20 on the #22 scoring defense, 31 on the #26 scoring defense, and 30 on the #37 defense. West Virginia is #50 in scoring defense but, if you remove a 66-0 win over 2-8 FCS school Long Island University, they would be tied for #62. As long as we don't have too many player defections, we should score enough.

West Virginia might have a bit more difficulty as we're currently the #10 scoring defense. WV did play two highly ranked scoring defenses (#14 Baylor and #8 OK State). They scored 3 points on OK State. They scored 20 on Baylor but gave up 45. One of the touchdowns against Baylor was late in the 4th quarter when Baylor had a 45-13 lead.

Scoring wise, West Virginia averages very slightly more points per game than us (26.8 per game vs. 26.1) but, once again, if you remove the 66-0 victory over Long Island University, they would average about 3 points per game fewer than us.

CBS chimes in:

Dec. 28, 10:15 p.m. -- OK, so this game probably isn't going to be high-scoring, but it should be close, and sometimes that's good enough. While they go about it in different ways -- Minnesota runs the ball so frequently you might confuse it for an option team -- the result is the same. Both teams average 2.25 points per drive, just above the national average of 2.22.

And you know what the matchup reminds me of? Go back to when this game was called the Cheez-It Bowl (not to be confused with the Cheez-It Bowl), and TCU and California played in a 10-7 thriller that needed overtime to find a winner. It was the worst-played great game of all time and will live on forever in the Bad Bowl Game Hall of Fame. While it's an impossible standard to meet, I think we could see history repeat itself here. Oh, and it's played in a baseball stadium. So much potential for stupid here.

Go Gophers!!

"So much potential for stupid". That's why it's ranked here? Phoenix had a horrible game a few years ago....so tune in for the joke?

For a guide on this writers opinions....be sure to see why he has Texas A&M vs. Wake Forest as an exciting...much watch game.

"It's like any time a "Fast & Furious" movie is on, you've got to watch it."

Lol. And here for CBS Sports Bowl game rankings....an idiot!

WaPo chimes in:

29. Guaranteed Rate Bowl: Minnesota vs. West Virginia (Dec. 28, 10:15, ESPN). There’s a good chance this thing is competitive; Minnesota is 8-4, and West Virginia won four of its last six to get to 6-6. But compelling? Maybe for those with a defense-minded approach. It’s a pair of top-half defenses (with Minnesota especially stout) against a pair of bottom-half offenses.

Players to know: The Minnesota offensive line. Injuries have done a number on the Gophers’ running backs, but five different players have uncorked 100-yard games. That’s a testament to a line that got four of its members all-conference honors: Tackle Daniel Faalele (coaches first team), guard Blaise Andries (media first team), center John Michael Schmitz (coaches second team) and guard Conner Olson (coaches third team).

Go Gophers!!

CBS chimes in:

Go Gophers!!
Purgatory Bowl. The penance for losing to BGSU. Guaranteed my buttinsky.

Top Bottom