WR's

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
I know we need depth, but what are people's thoughts on Barker. He saw the field late in the season and definitely has skill. Seems like guys that haven't seen the field a lot but could contribute are being a bit overlooked.

He hasn't been overlooked; he's just not a Big 10 receiver. On a good team, he wouldn't play.

I don't know much about Barker. I do recall several dropped passes late in the year though when he was given a chance. I'm hoping they can do better.

i have nothing but respect for Barker and the hard work he has done to earn some PT at the Big Ten Level. But that being said, if he gets significant playing time next year we are in trouble. He simply is just not the caliber of player we need to have to win in the Big Ten, maybe he will prove me wrong but I just don't see him even being close to playing on the likes of OSU or Wisc for example. Best of luck to him and I hope if he does play, he helps us win.

He's crafty, a heady player, he hustles. Any generic comment about white WR's works.

Since this thread is called WR's: I saw on the scout board that Xzavian Brandon is going to come back to the team.

He is good enough to play some if he catches the ball consistently, but he did not do that this year. I can't remember the name of the walk on that played a lot in 2008&9, and just had great hands. If Barker caught the ball like his predecessor, he would play. He can find gaps in the coverage, and is smart, but he did not catch the ball. I think he does catch it in practice, so there may be hope.

Saw him run track and long jump in high school and he's a talented athlete. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss him. He could develop. No one gave Ben Kuznia much of a chance to contribute at the same stage of his college career, but by the end of his senior year, he had.

AJ Barker is the kind of kid who could be a contributor late in his career but the fact that he had to play some last season and possibly this season is way too much for a player with his skill set.

He's actually a decent athlete. Hopefully we don't see him much next year.

Move Stoudermire back to WR where he can play the slot & we'd have McKinght, Green & Stoudermire which imo is a solid WR corps. Xman provides depth as does the new Juco Ge'Shun Harris. Barker shouldn't have to play much.

Move Stoudermire back to WR where he can play the slot & we'd have McKinght, Green & Stoudermire which imo is a solid WR corps. Xman provides depth as does the new Juco Ge'Shun Harris. Barker shouldn't have to play much.
Stoudermire's best position is CB, I really hope they keep him there.

Stoudermire's best position is CB, I really hope they keep him there.

I agree.

Stoudermire is a better CB than a WR, and it's not even close. I could see Stoudermire playing a few plays on offense per game.

Regardless of your opinions (which are valid), the drop off from Stoudermire to the completely untested X Brandon, V Keise, G Harris or a true Freshman is huuuuuuge. We literally have zero slot receivers on the roster with B Allen transferring out except Stoudermire.

The drop off at CB from TS to Brock Vereen (who looked sharp as a Freshman), Kyle Henderson, Christyn Lewis or the two Juco's is not nearly as big of a blow to our team, imo. Add into the equation that our offense lacks "playmakers" & I think the move would make a lot of sense.

I'm not real familiar with the Kill offense but how often was a slot receiver used by Kill at Northern Illinois?

Regardless of your opinions (which are valid), the drop off from Stoudermire to the completely untested X Brandon, V Keise, G Harris or a true Freshman is huuuuuuge. We literally have zero slot receivers on the roster with B Allen transferring out except Stoudermire.

The drop off at CB from TS to Brock Vereen (who looked sharp as a Freshman), Kyle Henderson, Christyn Lewis or the two Juco's is not nearly as big of a blow to our team, imo. Add into the equation that our offense lacks "playmakers" & I think the move would make a lot of sense.

I disagree, we don't know how much drop off from Studermire to these other wrs is being that they ARE unproven, for all we know these other guys could be an upgrade. Stoudermire has never really done much as a wr anyways, 35 career catches, 433 yrds, 3 tds. I wouldn't mind him playing both ways some, if you are just using him as a slot wr that in itself would help limit his plays on offense so he wouldn't get too worn out.

Saw him run track and long jump in high school and he's a talented athlete. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss him. He could develop. No one gave Ben Kuznia much of a chance to contribute at the same stage of his college career, but by the end of his senior year, he had.

Ben Kuznia? God love him, but another guy who wouldn't see the field on a good team until maybe his senior year, at best, as a fifth/sixth receiver.

In my opinion, it is hard to argue that the dropoff from TS to Vereen (or Henderson) is less brutal than the dropoff to V. Kiese. Vereen shouldn't have seen the playing field much as a freshman last year, and IMO Henderson was also in over his head. I don't think the difference in the drop off is something we really know yet.

I also think you have to look at the team as a whole. Stoudermire would probably be our best cornerback next season. If you have an obvious weakness at CB, the other team can decide to pick on that player. If our weakness is at slot WR, we can do some creative things (run more two TE sets, put Bennett at that slot position, run a handful of plays with TS in the slot), so I guess my point is that it is much easier to gameplan around an inexperienced player in the slot. Furthermore, I just think that Stoudermire is a much better CB, and i'd rather have a good CB than an ok WR.

Lastly, there comes a point where you do have to do right by these kids. If Stoudermire plays like he did the last two games at CB and continues to return kicks at an impressive rate, the kid has a chance to play on sundays. I can't imagine he could be an NFL WR.

I hope Kill is going after Zach Witchett from Georgia.

Barker leads all Mn state HS WR records does he not? He's got decent skill and could be a decent slot receiver no matter what the naysayers say with a decent QB. The end. From what i've gathered he has very good hands, mediocre speed but a type of guy that'll get into passing zone and isn't afraid to take a hit in the middle.

this is a very ignorant comment. If you watched the games at the end of the year you would know that Stoudermire is a much better CB then he is a WR. The kid has no hands.

One important thing to remember about Stoudamire as a WR: He has very poor hands. That's something to consider. He's got everything you'd want in a WR other than good hands, which is why he makes such a good CB. Leave him there.

I don't think there is too much to worry about. Kill's system is even more geared to the run than we were last year. N.Illinois had 140+ more rushing attempts than MN, but N.Illinois receivers had nearly the same stats as MN.

REC YDS AVG LONG TD
N.Illinois 208 2655 12.8 69 23
Minn. 209 2713 13.0 60 21

Granted, MN relied much more heavily on short passes/screens to RBs, and N.Illinois almost never threw to the RBs. But with such a run heavy offense, I don't think we need to be too concerned with the WR corps. McKnight is showing he is in the upper tier of talent and should continue to get better, especially with better schemes/coaching. If they find one other guy among the rest, I think the offense will be just fine at WR.

Move Stoudermire back to WR
Stoudermire's best position is CB
Stoudermire is a better CB than a WR, and it's not even close.
Stoudermire is a much better CB then he is a WR.
One important thing to remember about Stoudamire as a WR: He has very poor hands. That's something to consider. He's got everything you'd want in a WR other than good hands, which is why he makes such a good CB.

It's at times like these when I like to reference one of my all-time favorite GopherHole threads:

Why Stoudermire at WR?

Even though it's been almost 1.5 years ago, I'm still waiting to hear this staggeringly exhaustive list of "places where I'm wrong" in that thread. What's taking you so long to provide this monumental list, DiehardGopher?

It's at times like these when I like to reference one of my all-time favorite GopherHole threads:

Why Stoudermire at WR?

Even though it's been almost 1.5 years ago, I'm still waiting to hear this staggeringly exhaustive list of "places where I'm wrong" in that thread. What's taking you so long to provide this monumental list, DiehardGopher?

Well obviously I was off point, I just assumed the staff saw more skills from him at receiver than corner, but based on just a short amount of production, that's not the case. Not sure why they moved him, instead of keeping him at corner and using him in spots on offense.

Why Stoudermire at WR?

How did you know that Kill was going to be our next coach back then? Your picture is the same as it is now. I never saw the Kill hire.

Top Bottom