Wow, Wisky sneaks past Idaho State

coolhandgopher

Reaction score
I was just looking at the cbs sportsline scoreboard and it indicates that Bucky beat Idaho State 60-58 tonight. Idaho State was 2-5 coming into the game tonight, including a 20 point loss to BYU at home and a 19 point loss at Washington State.

Someone pointed out how weak Wisconsin's home non-conference schedule was this year, save for the upcoming match-up against Texas. However, Wisconsin's been giving their fans some thrills with this game and their home opener against Long Beach State. I'm looking forward to a column out of Madison saying Bo Ryan's past his prime and needs to be replaced :D

weak Non-conference, except with matchups against UCONN and Texas. I would do flips if we could land one of those schools. (Granted UCONN was on a neutral site)

Wow, Becky has been having some issues with the creampuffs. Is this a sign they could be a middle of the pack team in the Big Ten season??

ISU better

than you think, Wisky was lucky to win and if ISU's last pass was a few inches better, they win this one

And in other news, the "Iowa Classic" is taking place on ESPNU with Iowa playing UNI at Carver-Hawkeye and ISU playing Drake at Hilton.

Iowa was able to pull away from UNI early in the second half while Drake and ISU are in a dogfight, but what I really noticed about these games is the difference in atmosphere at Hilton vs. Carver-Hawkeye.

Carver-Hawkeye was an absolute morgue with MAYBE 1/3 of the stadium filled. It was really pathetic and I felt especially bad for the student section. If you were in that section you'd almost feel bad about cheering too loudly because your lone voice would be so glaringly obvious.

Hilton, on the other hand, was rocking. It looked like the arena was full (or very close) and the student section was great. Some of the noise could be due to the close game, but the sheer number of people blew Iowa out of the water.

Why such a disparity?

Also, based off what Becky fans are saying, their team has real trouble scoring when their opponent is playing zone. How is our zone defense?

Also, based off what Becky fans are saying, their team has real trouble scoring when their opponent is playing zone. How is our zone defense?

We haven't played it much, but it seems to me that the zone helped us slow down Colorado State for awhile in the 2nd half.

As to Idaho State, I think they've played a tough schedule so far. They are the Big Sky favorites. But, even then, Wisky should be able to handle that group better than a "sweat-it-out" type win.

I'd agree they've played a tough schedule and they do have a win against Utah to their credit, but it's interesting how easily BYU and Washington State handled them.

I would be very careful not to make any assumptions about Wisconsin based on that game last night.

They will be fine.

I realize that Williams Arena hasn't exactly been rocking this year, but you could've heard a mouse fart at the Kohl Center last night!

GV Badger

Don't bother spending your time telling us-I think it would be better spent talking to your Badger Brethren. Looking at some of the comments on the Capital Times page, I see flat, listless, don't have it this year, 7 or 8 Big Ten losses predicted.
http://www.badgerbeat.com/news/article/id/317992

I saw spurts of great basketball from Wisconsin during the Virginia Tech game. (Time will tell if Virginia Tech is a cupcake or not.) Leuer showed some very nice post moves and some agility around the basket. But Wisconsin doesn't have any "bangers" this year and I wonder if they'll be out-rebounded more this year than in past years. Landry seems to be spending less and less time under the basket. Maybe he is trying to increase his stock for the scouts? Anyhow, Hughes rarely seems to make mistakes and that should win them a few games. They, like us, lack those super-athletic scorers that can drain it at will.

Wonder how many wins Bo Ryan can coax out of his team during this transition year.

I was just looking at the cbs sportsline scoreboard and it indicates that Bucky beat Idaho State 60-58 tonight. Idaho State was 2-5 coming into the game tonight, including a 20 point loss to BYU at home and a 19 point loss at Washington State.

Someone pointed out how weak Wisconsin's home non-conference schedule was this year, save for the upcoming match-up against Texas. However, Wisconsin's been giving their fans some thrills with this game and their home opener against Long Beach State. I'm looking forward to a column out of Madison saying Bo Ryan's past his prime and needs to be replaced :D

Idaho St has lost 3 OT games. Against WSU their top player was with his wife who was having their first child. Next game he (Stucki) had 20 pts, 9reb and 9a in a win over Utah.

How does UW's "weak" schedule ( UConn neutral, Va Tech road, Marquette road, Texas home ) compare to the Gopher's schedule?

Thanks for pointing out the fine details for Sam the Butcher, FTB. No one on this board will deny the Gophers non-conference schedule has been weak. I was referencing a post from another day where someone pointed out that Wisconsin had one big name on their home non-conference schedule, in a thread where many Gopher fans were bemoaning our poor home non-conference schedule. So, if you're looking for an argument on that point, you aren't going to get one from Gopher fans. Sorry.

And indeed, Idaho State's leading scorer might have missed the game against Washington State, they may have pushed games to OT against several of their opponents that they ended up losing to, and could very well be better than their record. That all being said, Bucky struggled mightily last night at home against a team from a lesser conference with a losing record that had been blown out at home against BYU and blown out on the road against Washington State (with the leading scorer gone for that game duly noted). No one on this board is predicting a lower division finish for the Badgers, but I think we find it interesting how the Badgers are not looking as invincible as in past years, particularly at Kohl Center.

You can offer more excuses for the Badgers struggles last night if you'd like, but no one here is writing off the Badgers just yet, so you can relax. Such a defensive reaction to a pretty tame post-if you're searching for critical read the Madison newspapers, the Badger player comments, or your own fans' posts.

Defensive? For bringing up some facts? It was something of a one sided description talking only about Idaho St. 2-5 record two worst losses. I would consider it a fair and accurate to address the other side of the record as well.

Excuses? Did not see any excuses for the Badgers play. Presenting both sides of Idaho State's season to date is not being defensive or making excuses.

Missed the word "home" in the comments about the scheduling. At the risk of sounding "defensive" and "making excuses" I will point out Wisconsin plays 2 of the 3 other D1 in state schools at home every season. They also were unexpectedly given a road game at Va Tech in the ACC/B10 Challenge. The UW scheduled for a home game in the challenge.

Top Bottom