Would you be happy if we finished at 7-5 this year?

If we finished at 7-5 this year, I’d be just fine.

• Yup, we tried.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • Nope, we should’ve done better.

Votes: 74 77.1%
  • Who cares, it’s a winning season!

Votes: 5 5.2%

• Total voters
7-5 seems likely to me but I think it will come via one win over a favored team (Iowa? Wisconsin?) and one unexpected loss (Illinois?}

There is no reason the Gophers have not returned as a helmet school other than Minnesotans. PJ is in his 4th year. At that point the word rebuilding should never be uttered again. If your recruiting, player development, game planning, and game execution is top flight you never again rebuild. You reload all sectors of your game. To date PJ has been only marginally better than Kill and Claeys. If PJ doesn’t step it up this year he isn’t the man and only satisfies the whims of the mediocre. When strength of schedule determines your outlook for the season you are mediocre. That all said I expect no less than 10-2. I like PJ but I don’t give out passes. One note about UNC. Their OL and D are not all that good. Drake Maye is, but he is lonely out there.
No reason why UM is not a helmet school? It's far easier to build a basketball program than a FB one and UM hasn't been able to do that. I know no one wants to hear this, but it's obviously hard to recruit to Minneapolis. You can pick your reason why. I think it's because fan and media attention are on the many pro teams in the market and blue chip players want to be on page one. Having watched the Gophers for going on 70 years, I'd say we're at about the highest point possible for the UM right now in FB. Basketball should be better.

No reason why UM is not a helmet school? It's far easier to build a basketball program than a FB one and UM hasn't been able to do that. I know no one wants to hear this, but it's obviously hard to recruit to Minneapolis. You can pick your reason why. I think it's because fan and media attention are on the many pro teams in the market and blue chip players want to be on page one. Having watched the Gophers for going on 70 years, I'd say we're at about the highest point possible for the UM right now in FB. Basketball should be better.
I respect your opinion, but I don’t share it other then it is past due to be building a Blue Blood basketball team.

It starts at the top, no U of MN President has really cared about the condition of MN football as much as Donna Shalala cared about the condition of WI football and did something to change it for the better
I think the Walrus would agree with me.

We lost the best RB we have had in my lifetime.

We are changing OC's.

Our QB is so green and despite some good stuff, his TD/INT ratio is bad.

Our D lost some superstars that will be good NFL players.

Our schedule is the toughest I have ever seen in 45 years.

7-5 would be great and a building block for next year when we have a chance to , dare I say, make it to the Rose Bowl.

A fallacy all non-coaches seem to fall into is comparing the pre-season team/players/positions to the final team from the end of the previous year. If you compare our OL now to the pre-season 2022 OL you will be far more confident we are as good and probably better this year. There isn’t much drop off with Boe and everywhere else is improved. Some cases a lot. Granted the AK offense will be demanding and require great teamwork. In Callahan I trust. As much as Rossi.

It starts at the top, no U of MN President has really cared about the condition of MN football as much as Donna Shalala cared about the condition of WI football and did something to change it for the better
I think the Walrus would agree with me.
Another Award Winning Post from Plato......

We are changing OC's.

7-5 would be great and a building block for next year when we have a chance to , dare I say, make it to the Rose Bowl.
Mo was great but he’s probably the fourth most talented Gopher RB in my lifetime and his last season was not his best

But if we’re talking about cultural contributions and being a great influence then maybe the best.

We are changing OC's.

This is a pretty reasonable take. Although I thought Maroney was better than Mo, but that's just me. I'm not sure what your lifetime encompasses though.

This is a pretty reasonable take. Although I thought Maroney was better than Mo, but that's just me. I'm not sure what your lifetime encompasses though.

Yeah, I meant more "best ever" when it comes to stats for Mo. L Maroney was probably the most talented. He was fun to watch.

You can look at best in terms of pure talent (Maroney) or effectiveness and value to his team (Mo).

Concur 100% with those who have already put it well, that 7-5 likely means we lost all of the "big games" in fans' minds. Which would indeed be a disappointment.

Mind you, no Big Ten game is a gimme other than NW. Neb, and then the run of MSU, ILL, and Purdue could also be tougher than we expect. Some team surprises every year. Last year, I dare say it was ILL and while they lost a lot of high-level talent I just think Bertie is going to have them rolling, for what they'll be. Not a Ohio State of course, but I do fear he could get them consistently to that Wisc/Iowa level in pretty short order.

If I was forced to take 7-5, then I need wins against Wisc and even more so Iowa. Trade for losses to two of the four above mentioned Big Ten teams.

8-4 would be better. 9 means Fleck did a great job, anything above that is incredible.

Top Bottom