Would a 10-2 Gophers make the 12 team playoff next year?

There was a formula for a number of years. Should go back to that

Not perfect but not a dark room either
I'm OK with the basketball model: every conference gets an autobid and then seeding and at large bids picked by committee. But college hockey is the best format for a field as big as college (where there isn't a chance for sufficiently comparable schedules). Autobids for each conference, and then at large spots filled by an objective pairwise formula that does factor in strength of schedule but does not factor in margin of victory or other style factors (besides who won which games). Season ends, and no controversy about who got left home (sometimes people gripe about seeding adjustments the committee made, but that feels quaint compared to the FSU nonsense).

I'm OK with the basketball model: every conference gets an autobid and then seeding and at large bids picked by committee. But college hockey is the best format for a field as big as college (where there isn't a chance for sufficiently comparable schedules). Autobids for each conference, and then at large spots filled by an objective pairwise formula that does factor in strength of schedule but does not factor in margin of victory or other style factors (besides who won which games). Season ends, and no controversy about who got left home (sometimes people gripe about seeding adjustments the committee made, but that feels quaint compared to the FSU nonsense).
Correct but it won’t happen.

We are going to see a playoff that passes up 11-1 mountain west champ for 9-3 SEC 5th place

Just a little hypothetical that I was pondering, would a 10-2 gophers make the 12 team playoff next year? Based on this years CFP rankings, 10-2 seems to land you on the bubble ranked somewhere around 10-12. The most realistic way I see us getting to 10-2 involves losing to Mich and either PSU or USC, but winning the rest. In that world, especially if the two losses are close and both are to teams with 2 or fewer losses, I think we could be in the conversation.

Now before anyone gets grumpy, I know that the chances the gophers go 10-2 next year are marginal at best, but I just thought it was a fun thing to think about. And who knows, if we make it to November with 2 or fewer losses, we may start having some hope...
Marginal?

I didn’t think they allowed internet access to the criminally insane 🥴

Gotta think in year one
4 SEC
3 B1G
2 Big 12
2 ACC
1 G5
4 SEC teams- egads, I never thought of that.

You just ruined my day, Paul Finnebaum
SOS and H2H will be big. Possibly 8 SEC/B1G and 3 ACC/B12

SEC and ACC only playing 8 conference games so Rivalry non conference games will be huge for perception in those leagues.

Gotta think in year one
4 SEC
3 B1G
2 Big 12
2 ACC
1 G5

SOS and H2H will be big. Possibly 8 SEC/B1G and 3 ACC/B12

SEC and ACC only playing 8 conference games so Rivalry non conference games will be huge for perception in those leagues.

This is the best way to look at it. Basically you have to be in the top 3 in the B1G. Top 4 is possible if that team has a really good non conference win the gets the attention of the CFP committee.

Over a 9-3 SEC team????

^This year the committee selected what they feel were the “best teams” (recruiting, eye test, conference affiliation, September doesn’t matter). Past committees used “most deserving” criteria (wins).

With the former the Gophers have little to no shot. With the latter there’s a chance if the ball bounces just right. Relying on a committee that makes things up to rationalize their decisions creates a lot of uncertainty. Fluky win perceptions.

Marginal?

I didn’t think they allowed internet access to the criminally insane 🥴
😂 I'm always swing toward the optimistic side when thinking about the gophers future prospects, but I do agree that anything above 8 wins is probably worse than "marginal". We'll know a lot about this team mid October

😂 I'm always swing toward the optimistic side when thinking about the gophers future prospects, but I do agree that anything above 8 wins is probably worse than "marginal". We'll know a lot about this team mid October
Hey, until a third L, we’re still alive!

Keep up that optimism, life and sports are better that way - my 🥃 half full brother

Since I'm not young anymore (be quiet Mrs. Billd), I think if I live long enough to see the Gophers butt-stomp everyone...including the losses...then this will transpire.

Otherwise unlikely.

But...I did discover the Fountain of Youth planting rutabagas in my back yard so there's a chance I may live to see it...under this fantastical scenario.

Note: I hate rutabagas too.
you're a non-rutabaga Pasties guy?

you're a non-rutabaga Pasties guy?
Yeah...I like pasties but without the rutabaga.

True story. I'm not a native Minnesotan and my job out of college at the U required me to go up to the Iron Range via I-35 to Hwy 53 on up to Hibbing and other Range Cities. Along the way on Hwy 53 I came to these signs "Pasties Ahead" but read it as "pay-stees" as in stripper-wear "pasty."

It baffled me for some time how that area could support a pasties store let alone that there would even be one.

Finally figured it out when presented with the opportunity to have one for lunch.

Color me bamboozled on that one. Doh!

Top Bottom