Women's Bracketology 2024

Yep. Don't want to be an 8 or 9 seed.
Even though we went from 10 to 8, TAMU went from 10 to nine, and Stanford went from 2 to 1. Our bracket stayed the same.

Gophers vs Aggies, with the winner playing Stanford.

Even though we went from 10 to 8, TAMU went from 10 to nine, and Stanford went from 2 to 1. Our bracket stayed the same.

Gophers vs Aggies, with the winner playing Stanford.
Was speaking in generalities. 8/9 is worst seed to have IMO. Rather be a 10, 11 or 12 (or, of course, better than 8).

Minnesota survived the poor performance at Wisconsin. Gophers listed today as an #8 seed.

For me, just getting in this season would be nice. I don't expect a run at their ages -- yet.

Minnesota survived the poor performance at Wisconsin. Gophers listed today as an #8 seed.

For me, just getting in this season would be nice. I don't expect a run at their ages -- yet.
I would have been happy with NIT.

10 games left before the conference tournament. Can we win 6 to get to 20 wins?
Doable but difficult. Gotta be something very close to get into the tournament I'd think.
Winning one or two games in the conference tournament would help the cause if we are on the fence.
Is Illinois a must win?

Doable but difficult. Gotta be something very close to get into the tournament I'd think.
Winning one or two games in the conference tournament would help the cause if we are on the fence.
Is Illinois a must win?
I honesly think the NIT would be great for this team, hopefully get some home games and make a nice run. Get some confidence heading into next year, where we should see a big jump.

I'm more interested to see what Gopher team will come out against Illinois; hopefully its completely different than what we saw in Wisconsin - that will show some growth.

Is Illinois a must win?
No, Illinois is not a must win. It would be a Quad 1 win if we could get it, which means a win will help more than a loss would hurt. However, we have to win a few of our remaining Quad 1 games AND not lose any Quad 3 or Quad 4 games to stay on the right side of the bubble.

Puzzled by the projection of 9 Big Ten teams to the dance. Last year the conference got 7 bids, and this year the conference seems materially worse to me.

As the Big Ten women’s basketball season continues and we continue to learn more about the conference’s hierarchy, one team is making a strong push. A few losses before the New Year stymied Penn State’s hype early, but a five-game winning streak of commanding results has the Nittany Lions looking like a player for the fourth spot behind Iowa, Ohio State and Indiana.

Penn State hangs its hat on the offensive side, and that has continued through their hot stretch as they haven’t scored fewer than 76 points in the five games. They entered Sunday with the country’s 17th-ranked offensive rating per Sports-Reference, then hung 112 on Maryland. Then you look at Penn State’s losses, and virtually none of them are inexcusable: The combined margin of their four losses to No. 11 USC, No. 12 Ohio State, Michigan State and No. 14 Indiana was 30.

Long story short, the Nittany Lions are not to be trifled with. Don’t be shocked if they knock on the door of the AP Top 25 in coming weeks. With that, here are the Bracketology seeding breakdowns

I made a mistake and need to correct it. It was a half-mistake.

I had been critical about the non-conference schedule. Some teams were super low rated that made no sense to me. It just hurts the odds to get into the tournament. It just pads stats.

Well it's actually more complicated that that. We now know that from the men's team and that the Gophers women's team reached past the bubble point before the Braun injury.

It turns out it's like not having any games. It doesn't hurt you. But it doesn't help you.

What matters are the Big Ten games later. You have to win those. The non-conference games then are used however you like. You can use them as preseason practice games. If you are contending for a top-8 spot then you want quality wins in there. But for a bubble team, you want to avoid tough game losses and focus on winning the big games you can't avoid, the Big Ten games.

Now there are two sides to this. As a season ticket holder I was not happy to have lame games on the schedule. I also winced when stats were quoted early in the season. But there's more to it than that.

I still don't fully understand this dynamic. But based on both Gophers basketball teams, that strategy actually may have been smart. It seems that it worked.

My apology, probably, not certain.

Top Bottom