Women's BB NIL

Gopher68

Reaction score
I attended a pregame event before last night's game. Coach P is a very dynamic speaker. The issue of transfer loaded teams and NIL was discussed. In short, many transfers are looking for the best NIL deal. Minnesota can't compete for the top transfers in that arena. Coach P said she needs more NIL money to compete for the transfers she needs and to retain her current star players. On the way out of the room, I stopped to talk to someone from the athletics department. I asked if it was better to donate to the Golden Gopher fund for basketball or to contribute to Dinkytown Athletics. The response was that in the current environment it was better to donate to Dinkytown Athletics. I'm sure it was hard to say that. But, those are the facts that we are dealing with for now.

I guess I'd have a slight "disagreement" with my friends at the Golden Gopher Fund. If you can afford to, you should give to both NIL (through Dinkytown Athletes) and still give directly to the U. Your donation to the U goes to program enhancement funds that support activities for the entire program. NIL money goes into a pot for players and not to the program. Yes, the NIL money is what sadly is attracting players now but we still need money to keep the programs going.

The Dinkytown Athletes model hopes lots of people will give monthly amounts as no larger donors seem to step up for anything any more.

My personal perspective is the transfer portal as it is now and NIL are going to destroy college athletics as we know it.

I guess I'd have a slight "disagreement" with my friends at the Golden Gopher Fund. If you can afford to, you should give to both NIL (through Dinkytown Athletes) and still give directly to the U. Your donation to the U goes to program enhancement funds that support activities for the entire program. NIL money goes into a pot for players and not to the program. Yes, the NIL money is what sadly is attracting players now but we still need money to keep the programs going.

The Dinkytown Athletes model hopes lots of people will give monthly amounts as no larger donors seem to step up for anything any more.

My personal perspective is the transfer portal as it is now and NIL are going to destroy college athletics as we know it.
If you choose to donate to the GGF, you can direct your money to a specific sport's enhancement fund. For example, the enhancement fund for softball is used to help finance their January training trip to Florida.

Isn't the current NIL basically wild west rules for boosters. Couldn't any one of us could reach out to a player or recruit and say me or my business will give you $50K to play for the gophers this year? Just like John Ruiz does for the Univ of Miami?

Isn't the current NIL basically wild west rules for boosters. Couldn't any one of us could reach out to a player or recruit and say me or my business will give you $50K to play for the gophers this year? Just like John Ruiz does for the Univ of Miami?
Coach Plitzuweit shared a story at the event of something like that happening to one of her players last season.

Several schools have 4 or 5 cooperatives like Dinkytown....so 4 or 5 different groups with different names, different people. I'm guessing they have different priorities like one is focused on Football, one on men's basketball etc
In other words, somebody needs to set up a women's basketball cooperative.

Top Bottom