with OUR gophers for the long haul. always will be. won't waver...ever

What can be added to all of these great posts, but......

I'm standing with you coach Kill!

Go Gophers!

Ski-U-Mah!

I apologize for never being able to go to a gopher game because of my family's financial situation and now being in Kenosha, WI without a car. Apparently this means I am not a gopher fan.

I apologize for never being able to go to a gopher game because of my family's financial situation and now being in Kenosha, WI without a car. Apparently this means I am not a gopher fan.

Don't sweat it bro, I can't go to the games either. You have to love the fans that are going and supporting the team in person though.

I've been doing this since 1972. I'm 43 now and have only missed about eleven home games since then. This was what my dad and I did-we went to Gopher games together-football, basketball, hockey, and baseball. We gave up on baseball pretty early and hockey soon after. We kept going to basketball games up until 1986 when I started college (my first college was not at the U). We always kept football tickets. I always drove back home to see them no matter what. I became a much bigger fan than my dad was. I became the die-hard fan that lives and breathes Gopher football. I only have enough football love to give to the Gophers, which means I couldn't care less about the Vikings. I wish I could be more like my dad was. He was even tempered-I'm not in the slightest. I like to get buzzed and bitch and moan on message boards after the game when things don't go our way-I make no apologies about that as I mean what I type even if I can't remember doing it all of the time. I have kept the season tickets and struggled mightily to find friends to get psyched about the team and the games. I hope my friend doesn't bail on me next year as I have a feeling he is getting sick of the losing-he's not a hard core fan obviously.

I'm pretty down on the team right now, but that is nothing new to a long-term Gopher fan as we are quite used to it. My dad and I always planned on going to a Rose Bowl game and living it up like all football fans deserve to do once in a lifetime. I thought we had a chance a couple of times with Grinning Glen. I loved the attitude of Brewster and thought "maybe soon". Wasn't thrilled with the Kill hire, but understood the need for a total change. From what I have seen coaching wise, we are a very long way off from even being relevant again. I always hope for the best while knowing deep down I will probably be hoping for a long time. I just don't see anything different from Brewster to Kill so far. Same lazy play-same confused coaching. I wanted the change to be noticeable sooner than later, but I'll have to wait and hope as I always do. I'll keep showing up, I'll keep buying more Gopher gear (I must have thirty shirts/sweatshirts/hats), I'll keep cheering, and I'll keep complaining when I don't like what I see. The life of this Gopher fan hasn't really changed since 1972.

I'm a lifelong Minnesotan and an MN graduate. I've followed the Gophers for a long time but am not old enough to remember the glory days of the 1960's or earlier. I'm in it for the long haul and prefer to think we're more like the Red Sox than the Cubs.

Top Bottom