Wisconsin's Barry Alvarez says seniors in spring sports won't be allowed to return in 2021

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per USA Today:

Wisconsin will not allow student-athletes in their senior years whose spring seasons were canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic to regain that lost eligibility and return for the 2020-21 academic year, athletics director Barry Alvarez said.

Last month, the NCAA approved adding a year of eligibility to spring student-athletes but left the decision of whether to sponsor that added season up to member universities. Wisconsin is the first to play football on the Bowl Subdivision level to issue a blanket denial to all current seniors, though Louisiana Tech announced this week that it would only honor an added year of eligibility for baseball and softball players.

"What we tried to do was encourage our seniors to go ahead and, if you're going to graduate, graduate and move on with your life," Alvarez said. "We appreciate everything that you've done. But move forward. The future is in question, and we can't promise you anything."

Go Gophers!!

Makes sense, if they truly are "student-athletes" why would you stick around a full year for a spring sport unless in reality you are "athlete-students" where the education is secondary. No school should be obligated to foot that bill.

I agree. it's a bummer for them, but not fair to incoming freshman either

There are at least two seniors on a really good Wisconsin softball team that the Gophers should go after, if they can afford it! A home run-hitting infielder and an all-conference pitcher to name two.

Makes sense, if they truly are "student-athletes" why would you stick around a full year for a spring sport unless in reality you are "athlete-students" where the education is secondary. No school should be obligated to foot that bill.
What about the athletes that will be around for another year for school no matter what? Grad school?

What about the athletes that will be around for another year for school no matter what? Grad school?

do they get a scholorship? I say no, stuff happens, life isn't fair, they are adults, they should get used to it.

There are at least two seniors on a really good Wisconsin softball team that the Gophers should go after, if they can afford it! A home run-hitting infielder and an all-conference pitcher to name two.
Coyle won’t let them have scholarships.

Would absolutely encourage those Badgers to play on other Big Ten teams though. Hope they smoke the jackass Badgers.

Alvarez is a piece of shit.

do they get a scholorship? I say no, stuff happens, life isn't fair, they are adults, they should get used to it.
Most of them get very little in scholarships anyways. I'd be fine if they even had said you can come back but you're no longer on scholarship. I just think his thinking would be completely different if this involved fall or winter athletes.

Most of them get very little in scholarships anyways. I'd be fine if they even had said you can come back but you're no longer on scholarship.
POS Alvarez doesn't even want to have to foot the bill (travel, meals, equipment, etc.) for the expanded rosters.

Complete jackass.

Top Bottom