Wisconsin State Journal: Madison in 100 objects: Paul Bunyan Axe

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Wisconsin State Journal:

We’re describing Madison in 100 objects. The daily series began Sunday and focuses on one object a day.

Some of the most compelling moments of any University of Wisconsin football season come in the moments following the annual border battle between the Badgers and the Minnesota Golden Gophers.

Since 1948, the winner of the most-played rivalry in college football’s top level has been awarded possession of the Paul Bunyan Axe, a prize that can bring 300-pound linemen to tears and make them act, well, silly.

Badgers and Golden Gophers have been spotted riding the Axe as if it were a horse. Victory celebrations always feature the winning team pretending to chop down the goal posts, a time-honored tradition that led to a standoff between the teams following UW’s 20-7 victory last season in Minneapolis when Minnesota protected the goal post in front of its band and refused to budge.

http://host.madison.com/news/local/...cle_d9032bdf-c9c3-5c97-b959-703d02b2e55a.html

Go Gophers!!

The article must be wrong. It says that the Axe has only been awarded since 1948. I seem to recall a Badger player/historian explaining to us that the Axe has been awarded and used to chop down the opposing team's goal posts for over 100 years.

We haven't won the Axe for so long I think Gopher fans have a immune system built up. We take it from Wisconsin
and their fans will be one step from Flaky Acres Mental Institution. That is all they live for. Win the Axe for several
years consecutively and I'm sure it will produce another serial murderer out of Beckyland.

Madison in 100 objects? Animal sex and booze. That is 2. There is nothing else.

Top Bottom