Wisconsin game

Calm down, junior, we are talking about basketball, not world peace.

:rolleyes: I'm not sure what part of my posts made you think I need to calm down, but whatever. It sounds like you were taken aback by my post.

Maybe you'll like the tone of the posts better on a Wisconsin board. I assure you it will be a better place to laud the achievements of all things Badger basketball and marching band. You and your guy Wisky33 can post back and forth about the overwhelming giant fanbase you guys claim to have, and talk about which dance you're going to do in the student section tonight with the rest of the band geeks.

The overcompensation will, no doubt, be staggering.

Run and then run some more....

I see you are new to Big Ten basketball. This mantra has only been posted on every Big Ten message board since the Dick Bennett era began. Simpleton fans, who think beating Wisconsin is as easy as "running" a lot. The trick is....Wisconsin doesn't let you run! Get used to it. As a new fan of your upstart Gophers, I didn't expect you to know that. But you can't use that same line next time. Come with something better next time....which brings me to my next point....

Wisconsin will shoot more free throws. The going on 8 year conspiracy that is Bo Ryan will continue tonight. You guys will whine about it. Then it will happen in the next UW game. At some point, perhaps you guys will grow up, and not whine about something that is reality, and simply understand that Bo teachs position defense better than anyone, and stresses touching the post more than anyone. It isn't rocket science. Ask your athletic director. Too bad you were wasting your time with Monson. You would have had Ryan before Richter could get him.

BTW - for all you new basketball fans....Bo's teams average more free throws on the road than the home team also. The conspiracy travels with Bo.

I love the "new to the game" rip on Gopher fans, especially coming from a Badger backer. I would have a selective memory, too, if my team went FORTY SEVEN YEARS without making the NCAA tournament.

BTW - for all you new basketball fans....Bo's teams average more free throws on the road than the home team also. The conspiracy travels with Bo.

I agree that this is overblown to some extent, and often just a loser's lament. Knight's teams were always the same way back in their day. I do often wonder while watching UW lose in the tourney, though, why those advantages don't follow them into the dance. While Bo has had a team in the round of 8 and a couple in the Sweet 16, I believe that the highest seed that Bo's Badgers have beaten in the dance is a #9. Methinks that Bo has conditioned alot of the B10 refs to see things his way, and that does not carry over with him in the national tournament.

PainterOwnsBo Wrote:
"I see you are new to Big Ten basketball. This mantra has only been posted on every Big Ten message board since the Dick Bennett era began. Simpleton fans, who think beating Wisconsin is as easy as "running" a lot. The trick is....Wisconsin doesn't let you run! Get used to it. As a new fan of your upstart Gophers, I didn't expect you to know that. But you can't use that same line next time. Come with something better next time"

Wisconsin doesn't let teams run? Boy, I remember the game against Duke last season and Duke sure ran alot and if I remember correctly, they beat Becky...by close to 30 points. Wisconsin (who I've watched play many, many times since I lived in Madison for the past 6 years, all Bo teams BTW but I guess I'm a new to BT basketball and now only a Gopher fan). How about the Marquette v Wisky game last year where Becky had no answer for the quicker, more athletic guards? How about the last 3 games against Purdue where they spread Wisky out and moved on them at will?

Setting the tempo isn't a given but if it can be set by the opponent that has the depth and athleticism that Becky lacks, they can be beat anywhere. Remember that Becky always meets their match in the NCAA tourney under Bo when they have to face a single digit seed. Those teams tend to have the depth and athleticism that Becky wouldn't always see against a double-digit seed and a traditional BT team that likes to play in a halfcourt set. I'm not saying the Gophers will beat Becky tonight. I'm saying the possibility exists because the Gophers have the parts and the blueprint to beat Becky is out there and it sticks out like a sore thumb. If the Gophers set the fast pace tempo, they win. If Becky sets there's, they win.

Those that have beat Becky under Bo's watch all tend to have the same things in common: athletic guards, depth, and the ability to run. But then again what do I know...I'm new to this BT league and am just a bandwagon fan.

"Stresses touching the post more than anyone."

I'm guessing BoOwnsIzzo touches the post quite often when he thinks about Bo in his quiet moments.

PainterOwnsBo Wrote:

I'm not saying the Gophers will beat Becky tonight. I'm saying the possibility exists because the Gophers have the parts.

Actually, the point is the Gophers don't have the parts . There is nobody on the Gophers that can score like players on Marquette, Duke or Purdue. If Hummel, Moore, Sigler, Mathews and McNeal come out in Gopher uniforms tonight, I am going to be worried. If not, the predictable result will occur. The Gophers have a nice team and they certainly are well coached. But he plays 12 for a reason, and it is not because they all have the talent of Duke, Marquette and Purdue.

The Badgers have plenty of athleticism. More then enough actually. Finally, the fast paced Gophers average 65 possessions a game, the Badgers 61. Big difference.

PainterOwnsBo Wrote:
"I see you are new to Big Ten basketball. This mantra has only been posted on every Big Ten message board since the Dick Bennett era began. Simpleton fans, who think beating Wisconsin is as easy as "running" a lot. The trick is....Wisconsin doesn't let you run! Get used to it. As a new fan of your upstart Gophers, I didn't expect you to know that. But you can't use that same line next time. Come with something better next time"

Wisconsin doesn't let teams run? Boy, I remember the game against Duke last season and Duke sure ran alot and if I remember correctly, they beat Becky...by close to 30 points.

You brought up Duke? Why not the Lakers? For cripesake, I mentioned BIG TEN MESSAGE BOARDS and you think Duke applies. OK, OK, I guess I should have qualified it with...."Everyone once in a while, a team with numerous All-Americans out does Wisconsin at their game." Not the Goofies, and not the rest of the Big Ten. And not only that, there are plenty of times that Wisconsin has gone toe to toe with deep, talented teams - like the UNC national championship team a few years ago. Texas last year in Austin.

Name for me ONE Big Ten team that has been able to run on Wisconsin? I don't mean just a single breakaway layup....I mean dictate tempo. It is none. MSU continully tries it....which is why Bo owns Izzo.

"Wisconsin (who I've watched play many, many times since I lived in Madison for the past 6 years, all Bo teams BTW but I guess I'm a new to BT basketball and now only a Gopher fan)."

You've watched a lot of UW hoops? Sorry, I couldn't tell by your observation.

"How about the Marquette v Wisky game last year where Becky had no answer for the quicker, more athletic guards?"

Does Minnesota have three NBA guards? No, they don't. No Minnesota guard would get significant minutes at Marquette.

"How about the last 3 games against Purdue where they spread Wisky out and moved on them at will?"

You are not Purdue. And again...it wasn't Purdue "running" that hurt Wisconsin. It was their physical inside game on both ends this past Sunday. That usually doesn't happen to Wisconsin. Landry had an off game. Purdue was better. They won. So be it.

"I'm not saying the Gophers will beat Becky tonight."

Here is what I'm saying....you are not going to win by running. Forget it. It won't happen.

"I'm saying the possibility exists because the Gophers have the parts and the blueprint to beat Becky is out there and it sticks out like a sore thumb."

The "blueprint" to beat Wisconsin is for a top ranked, talented team - Purdue, Marquette, Texas and UConn. If you think Minnesota is in that class....you are completely dillusional. And I've seen plenty of Minnesota basketball.

Here is what's going to happen. UW will win. They will end up a minimum of 12-6 in the Big Ten. And they will be a contender AGAIN in the Big Ten - 12 wins in the Big Ten this season is a heck of a showing. Book it. It's UW hoops. For the forseeable future, Wisconsin is a big dog in this conference. Until Minnesota establishes themselves as a contender over the longhaul, the jury will be out. Talk is cheap for Minnesota.

Lol, who is this guy?

I love it when posters invade our board and obviously have their entire manhood riding on a sports team.

Let me break it to you, Wisconsin's success has NOTHING to do with you!

Find a more productive way to spend your day.

TubbywillownBO

Here is what is going to happen.

You will go to sleep or I will put you to sleep. Your in my world now Grandma!!!!!

TubbywillownBO

BoOwnsIzzo-there is a lot of crap being slung back and forth on this thread, as is to be expected, however I do disagree w/ one thing you said. Nolen would get playing time on Marquette. he is a Soph and would be a tremendous backup to James (better than Acker anyway). the 3 future NBA stars (which I will have to see to believe, I don't think James makes it more than a journeyman/role player) are Seniors right now and Nolen would definitely be an asset to Marquette's team. he is a great PG, whether you like the Gophers or not.

BoOwnsIzzo-there is a lot of crap being slung back and forth on this thread, as is to be expected, however I do disagree w/ one thing you said. Nolen would get playing time on Marquette. he is a Soph and would be a tremendous backup to James (better than Acker anyway). the 3 future NBA stars (which I will have to see to believe, I don't think James makes it more than a journeyman/role player) are Seniors right now and Nolen would definitely be an asset to Marquette's team. he is a great PG, whether you like the Gophers or not.

I completely agree that Nolen could see significant time at Marquette, possibly be their 6th man, but the fact remains that Minnesota doesn't match the talent level of the teams that have beat Wisconsin by running. To beat Wisconsin when you don't have the talent of a Marquette, Duke, Purdue, MSU, or etc, you have to out-execute them and be as disciplined. I don't know if a young Minnesota team is up to that challenge yet, especially in a hostile arena like the Kohl. But if one of the Gophs get hot, a la Stanley Pringle a couple weeks ago, then they've got a chance.

And if you're trying to run on Wisconsin to make the starters tire and get replaced, then Bo's inserting more athletic guys. Wisconsin's bench is young and only 4 or 5 deep, but 3 of the top 4 are more capable of a run and gun game than Nankivil, Krabbenhoft, and maybe Bohannon too.

I love it when posters invade our board and obviously have their entire manhood riding on a sports team.

Let me break it to you, Wisconsin's success has NOTHING to do with you!

This is purely entertainment. No place more entertaining then the Gopher Hole. Good for a lot of laughs.

No...he wouldn't.

LOL!!! As a person who actually is quite connected with the Marquette program I assure you that Nolen would get significant playing time there, as would Trevon Hughes.

However, both are playing against each other in a Gopher/Badger game in Madison. Both are essential keys to whether their respective teams come away tonight with a W or L. My money is on the Gophers but that's why I post on the Gopherfan site and not the Badgers.

Enjoy the game everyone.

I see you are new to Big Ten basketball ... As a new fan of your upstart Gophers, I didn't expect you to know that.

Actually, BOI, Pewter has been on this board for a very long time. Thanks for trying. Head east.

To beat Wisconsin when you don't have the talent of a Marquette, Duke, Purdue, MSU, or etc, you have to out-execute them and be as disciplined. I don't know if a young Minnesota team is up to that challenge yet, especially in a hostile arena like the Kohl.

I tend to agree with you. I'm very skeptical that the Gophers can out-execute the Badgers and win this game. Wisconsin is too experienced and disciplined for the Gophers to win at the KC tonight.

But the way your Badger brethren talk...my god. BoOwnsIzzo (except in tournament wins, Final Fours, national championships, respect, etc.) makes it sound like only teams full of AA players stand a chance against the juggernaut Badge. UW's best win this year is against Michigan for christ's sake. Let's actually play some games before we award them a championship, 'kay?

Actually, BOI, Pewter has been on this board for a very long time. Thanks for trying. Head east.

Yeah, if he's been around hoops a while, you'd think he'd come up with a better game plan then "run it" on Wisconsin. Like I said, he doesn't make me think he knows what he's talking about with comments like those.

And he, nor anyone else, could name a Big Ten program that beat Wisconsin by "running" on them. I'm still waiting for that.

I tend to agree with you. I'm very skeptical that the Gophers can out-execute the Badgers and win this game. Wisconsin is too experienced and disciplined for the Gophers to win at the KC tonight.

But the way your Badger brethren talk...my god. BoOwnsIzzo (except in tournament wins, Final Fours, national championships, respect, etc.) makes it sound like only teams full of AA players stand a chance against the juggernaut Badge. UW's best win this year is against Michigan for christ's sake. Let's actually play some games before we award them a championship, 'kay?

Let's see.....UConn, Texas, Marquette and Purdue. All have top 10 talent. Right? That's who has beaten Wisconsin.

And Izzo does not own Bo in any of those. Bo has 4 NCs, numerous FFs and tournament wins. If you think the game is different from D-III as far as X's and O's, Bo Ryan is proof that it isn't. Bo had to blaze his own trail to get to the UW. Man, I wish they had hired him much earlier. One has to wonder if Izzo would have all those accomplishments had Bo been around to bully him into the corner in the 90s. From how he owns him now, you'd have to think not!

Mich St can and will .. How many fastbreaks did Purdue have in their win against the Badgers?

And Izzo does not own Bo in any of those. Bo has 4 NCs, numerous FFs and tournament wins. If you think the game is different from D-III as far as X's and O's, Bo Ryan is proof that it isn't.

Oh. My. F*cking. God.

I can't believe I just read this.

Is this the prevailing opinion of all Badger fans or just Mrs. Ryan here? I'm really curious.

Does PainterOwnsBo know what "up tempo" means? Clue: It's not just fast breaks.

Actually, Izzo does own Bo in terms of NCAA success...sorry, but winning DIII championships and DI championships are a completely different animal.

Or maybe you'd like to argue that UW-Platteville would have beaten Michigan State back then??

Or maybe you'd like to point out how many appearances in the final four that Bo has since he's been at Wisconsin versus Izzo??

And Izzo does not own Bo in any of those. Bo has 4 NCs, numerous FFs and tournament wins. If you think the game is different from D-III as far as X's and O's, Bo Ryan is proof that it isn't.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking for more laughs?

This is purely entertainment. No place more entertaining then the Gopher Hole. Good for a lot of laughs.

If you're looking for more laughs you could always drop your pants in front of a mirror....

You brought up Duke? Why not the Lakers? For cripesake, I mentioned BIG TEN MESSAGE BOARDS and you think Duke applies. OK, OK, I guess I should have qualified it with...."Everyone once in a while, a team with numerous All-Americans out does Wisconsin at their game." Not the Goofies, and not the rest of the Big Ten. And not only that, there are plenty of times that Wisconsin has gone toe to toe with deep, talented teams - like the UNC national championship team a few years ago. Texas last year in Austin.

Name for me ONE Big Ten team that has been able to run on Wisconsin? I don't mean just a single breakaway layup....I mean dictate tempo. It is none. MSU continully tries it....which is why Bo owns Izzo.

"Wisconsin (who I've watched play many, many times since I lived in Madison for the past 6 years, all Bo teams BTW but I guess I'm a new to BT basketball and now only a Gopher fan)."

You've watched a lot of UW hoops? Sorry, I couldn't tell by your observation.

"How about the Marquette v Wisky game last year where Becky had no answer for the quicker, more athletic guards?"

Does Minnesota have three NBA guards? No, they don't. No Minnesota guard would get significant minutes at Marquette.

"How about the last 3 games against Purdue where they spread Wisky out and moved on them at will?"

You are not Purdue. And again...it wasn't Purdue "running" that hurt Wisconsin. It was their physical inside game on both ends this past Sunday. That usually doesn't happen to Wisconsin. Landry had an off game. Purdue was better. They won. So be it.

"I'm not saying the Gophers will beat Becky tonight."

Here is what I'm saying....you are not going to win by running. Forget it. It won't happen.

"I'm saying the possibility exists because the Gophers have the parts and the blueprint to beat Becky is out there and it sticks out like a sore thumb."

The "blueprint" to beat Wisconsin is for a top ranked, talented team - Purdue, Marquette, Texas and UConn. If you think Minnesota is in that class....you are completely dillusional. And I've seen plenty of Minnesota basketball.

Here is what's going to happen. UW will win. They will end up a minimum of 12-6 in the Big Ten. And they will be a contender AGAIN in the Big Ten - 12 wins in the Big Ten this season is a heck of a showing. Book it. It's UW hoops. For the forseeable future, Wisconsin is a big dog in this conference. Until Minnesota establishes themselves as a contender over the longhaul, the jury will be out. Talk is cheap for Minnesota.

Can someone from GH please lock this thread until March? I really want to see this particular post stick on the top of the board for everyone to come back and get a chuckle at. When I'm feeling down because I've had a bad day, I want to have a reason to smile.

Wow --- lots of smack from the Badger faithful, as usual.

Guess it sucks to be them tonight.....LOL.

Top Bottom