Will the NCAA allow players to have an unprecedented seventh year of eligibility?

MplsGopher

Reaction score
As far as I know, we had two starters/significant contributors on the 2020 team that were in their sixth year of eligibility: Dew-Treadway and Witham. Players who signed out of high school in the 2015 class.

It was announced a while ago that all players this fall would get an extra year of eligibility, to play next fall if they so desire.

But as far as I know, there has never been a player in NCAA football who has been granted a seventh year of eligibility. There might have a been a few cases, but I wouldn't be surprised if it has never happened, either.

Obviously these are unprecedented times.

So what say you? Doesn't matter? Do you think both will choose to come back next year?

My feeling: I guess on one hand, I don't think the NCAA should make an exemption to disallow it from happening. But on the other hand, I just think: do you really want to be playing college football for seven years (likely meaning you have no NFL prospects)??

Not encouraging either to move on. They both should make the decision with their families and with Fleck and staff, and do what they think is best.

My feeling: I guess on one hand, I don't think the NCAA should make an exemption to disallow it from happening. But on the other hand, I just think: do you really want to be playing college football for seven years (likely meaning you have no NFL prospects)??

Not encouraging either to move on. They both should make the decision with their families and with Fleck and staff, and do what they think is best.
I agree. At some point I would start to feel like Wooderson.

But as far as I know, there has never been a player in NCAA football who has been granted a seventh year of eligibility. There might have a been a few cases, but I wouldn't be surprised if it has never happened, either.

Obviously these are unprecedented times.

Granted much different circumstances, but hasn't the NCAA granted a 7th year to BYU students who went on their Mormon mission?

Granted much different circumstances, but hasn't the NCAA granted a 7th year to BYU students who went on their Mormon mission?
This would be a good thing to clarify, thanks for bringing it up.

I thought that it was more the case that the kids do the mission first, then come back to play, so it's not like they're with the team during the time on the mission. Not training, either (usually in third world countries). But I don't know for sure.

I think at some point you have to look at the safety aspect of a 25 year old competing against an 18 year old. The difference with Mormon missions is that those players are not playing during that time. A 25 year old that has been strength training, practicing, and playing such a large number of games puts an 18 year at risk.

Didn't Evan Eschmeyer play ten years for Northwestern? Or maybe it just seemed like it.

My OP has clearly been satisfied. I was too lazy to just Google that it has happened more than never.

Now it's a matter of if Dew and Witham want to come back for a seventh year. Fleck has already said each and every "was supposed to be last year in 20" guy is welcomed back on the team for 21.

Top Bottom