Will coaches have a shorter leash?

In order to pull the plug on Johnson after only 3 years things would have to be really bad record wise with little to no reason to hope for it to get any better. The constant firing coaches and starting over thing doesn't really get it done.

Pitino was given a fair shake, he survived the AD change and was given 8 seasons. IMO Johnson should get at least 4 years as long as there are no off the court scandals or other reasons that make it clear he has to go.

Hopefully there will be some positive signs early in Johnson's time here that show he will be able to get things moving in the right direction. The bar is not set all that high, hopefully he can clear it early and then start to establish a new trajectory for Gopher basketball.
I’d like to see clear upward trajectory in the program that includes improved recruiting, keeping a staff together, clear indications of a sustainable culture and a clear identity for the program. Richard was all over the place on all these fronts. Ben is linked in well enough to have a recruiting plan that isn’t randomly going after highly ranked guys with no realistic backup plan, or squeezing out an impact transfer that helps one season but doesn’t support long term interests of the program. In season one I hope to see established an identity more definable than “gritty.”

Looks like a vote might happen today allowing for 1 free transfer during your career. I'm not sure this will impact the leash on a coach. It will still take 2-3 years to know what you have in a coach.

It might shorten the leash because a coach could clean house sooner and if they don't perform with their guys sooner, they will be fired.

Top Bottom