WI QB2 out for the season

That's unfortunate. I hope he recovers quickly.

There was a time when this would have felt consequential to Gopher football, maybe quietly hopeful. I no longer think Minnesota needs any wisconsin players to get hurt, suspended, transfer, join the Peace Corps, or go to prison in order for the Axe to remain in Minneapolis.

That's progress.

Tough blow for them. Haven't followed all that close but I know at one point their fanbase was really high on Wolf and his prospects for maybe beating out the Golden Boy.

Tough blow for them. Haven't followed all that close but I know at one point their fanbase was really high on Wolf and his prospects for maybe beating out the Golden Boy.

I'm very okay with Mertz remaining their starting QB. I'll even help him petition for another year of eligibility, if that's what it takes.

Frost - Mertz is a ticket I would like to elect for 4 more years this fall.

That's unfortunate. I hope he recovers quickly.

There was a time when this would have felt consequential to Gopher football, maybe quietly hopeful. I no longer think Minnesota needs any wisconsin players to get hurt, suspended, transfer, join the Peace Corps, or go to prison in order for the Axe to remain in Minneapolis.

That's progress.
The steady flow of Beckys to the Peace Corps was inspiring.

I'm very okay with Mertz remaining their starting QB. I'll even help him petition for another year of eligibility, if that's what it takes.

Frost - Mertz is a ticket I would like to elect for 4 more years this fall.
Couldn't agree more. Want to see them both do just well enough to hang onto their jobs. :)

"devastating" is an odd word for a torn meniscus. Sad for him honestly. Injuries suck.

Unless it's something more serious, a torn meniscus doesn't usually mean season ending, right?
If it’s an injury that can’t be repaired and parts of the meniscus are shaved or resected the recovery is relatively brisk. If the injury can be repaired then recovery is longer and requires immobilization but hopefully provides better long term results.

Unless it's something more serious, a torn meniscus doesn't usually mean season ending, right?
If they repair it—likely the season at this point. Usually 4-6 weeks on crutches and then rehab and stuff. Suppose he could be back for the final few games but with no practice he likely wouldn’t be effective.

Can't remember if Mertz is a threat to run, but a "devastating" injury to no. 2 QB means that Mertz will be less likely to tuck and run, or to run QB options, to limit his exposure to injury. That will make the WI offense a bit less diverse.

Wisconsin has three more QBs on roster. Two are true freshman. The other is a redshirt Freshman named Deacon Hill who is 6'3" and weighs in at 251lbs! If Hill is the new Mertz backup, Wisconsin could feature Braelon Allen at RB with a 251 pound QB. Sounds like some QB run options could be in the playbook.

So what?

It is like telling us that New Mexico State backup QB got hurt. We will keep the Axe and roll over Sconny again no matter who is on their team.

So what?

It is like telling us that New Mexico State backup QB got hurt. We will keep the Axe and roll over Sconny again no matter who is on their team.
For New Mexico State's sake the backup looked better than the starter

I’m usually happy about everything that is bad for Wisconsin.

Hard to be happy about a young man getting hurt though.

Top Bottom