Why the Gophers will win 7 games this year.

diefirma

Reaction score
Why the Gophers will win 7 games this year.

The talent level is good enough.

Are we the most talented team in the B10? No, but it is good enough to win 7 games.

Jacobs and Hageman are the real deals at tackle. Which ever one is in the game at any given time will be able to apply pressure up the
middle. If we get a D end, or several, to come through our D will be OK. Garin and Wilhite have the talent and speed but haven’t had the
coaching. Maybe it will click for them this year.

A lot has been written about the linebackers. No need for me to add to it. They will be just fine.

Claeys has said he will be able to apply pressure on the QB this year. If we take him at his word the D will be average B10 or better, a
huge improvement over last year.

We are OK at running back with 2 guys who can bang it into the line - Cobb and Kirkwood. We have 2 speed guys - Edwards and Wright. Cobb is 218 and may have good speed as well but I haven't seen enough to be sure. Bennett is a solid back who won’t make mistakes, can catch out of the backfield.

Lair and Rabe can both run and both have pretty good hands. This will allow Limegrover to play around a little bit. For example, Limegrover might line up both tight ends on the line then, when the defense is set, split them out going 4 across instead of 2 across.

Gray. A lot has been made of his lack of accuracy in passing, which I agree with, but Gray IS accurate on short passes. I expect a lot of rollouts where Gray either runs or flips it out to the receiver in front of him.

The receivers all seem to have good hands. Harris, Green, Keise, Jones and of course McKnight all can catch the ball. This has not always been the case with the Gophers and is not the case with all big 10 teams. The recievers have the hands to catch some badly thrown
balls. This will make a difference in some games.

Limegrover has said they will be OK on the O line this year. When he says OK I assume that means good enough to win some games in the B10

Coaches
This group of coaches can be expected to out coach at least half of their opponents. I believe Kill and crew are 2-3 against B10 teams and, in each case, they had less talent than the team they beat.

Games

Probable wins - we have more talent
New Mexico
Miami
NDSU
Northwestern
Purdue

Toss ups - these might have more talent but there are other factors
Michigan - talent but is Hoke the guy? Will he make effective use of Robinson?
Illinois - could be Zooks last year.
Iowa - rebuilding

Probable Losses - but a chance for an upset.
USC - may not take Gophers seriously. A big mistake with a Kill coached team
Nebraska - same as USC. Gophers follow OSU and Badgers on Huskers schedule and precede Michigan State. We may catch
Nebraska on a down week
Wisconsin - Depends on their new QB. If he is banged up or ineffective we have a chance
Michigan State - Greg Jones is gone. Their D may not be up to par. Fire and brimstone may rain down on them from above.

I would expect us to win one toss up and to pull an upset somewhere.

Discuss

I like your analysis! The best part of the package may not be unwrapped yet. The best part of this coaching staff may be their game coaching. We should block a few punts, get an onside kick or two, take many fewer penalties and occasionally "stroke the post." The best part is that the team believes already and the fans are ready to believe. It should be a great year for Gopher football!

Why does everyone assume NW & IA are essentialy W's this year? Where is Iowa rebuilding that we are not?

Someone should go and average our record for the seasons [year 1] with with a new coach coming in.

I really hope so. I've kept my expectations very low heading into the opener but the Gophers are due for an unexpectedly good season one of these years.

I still say 6-6 and a bowl game.
My earlier thread predicts a 25-point loss to Nebraska, but the game will seem closer than that.
I'm predicting we'll get blown out at Michigan (we haven't seen their QB up close and have no way to prepare for him) and at Michigan State (they are a very good team playing at home and we'll be flat after beating Iowa).
The biggest disappointment of the year will be dropping a winnable game at Northwestern.

I don't have a big problem with the analysis. I would move Northwestern to the toss up column, and predict 2-2, but it gets you the same result. 7-5 requires an upset and not getting upset, I'd settle for neither and 6-6.

I'm predicting we'll get blown out at Michigan (we haven't seen their QB up close and have no way to prepare for him) and at Michigan State (they are a very good team playing at home and we'll be flat after beating Iowa).

Agree with you on half of this: I think we'll struggle with Michigan. But I'm predicting that we'll get our biggest upset of the year (given preseason ratings) @ MSU. I think the Spartans will have a disappointing year, to the tune of 7-5. They start the B1G season with: @OSU, vs Michigan, vs Wisconsin, @ Nebraska. I see them dropping each of those four, including a blowout loss @ Neb (OSU, Wisc, and Neb. are better teams, and Michigan, behind Robinson, is due to beat MSU). Then the Gophers come to town, (hopefully) riding high after retaining possession of Floyd the previous week. MSU fans, local media, and the team will be panicking all week, and the crowd will be unenthusiastic and boo every incomplete pass. Things will continue to spiral down for the Spartans throughout the game, the Gophs will make some plays, and escape with a 28-25 victory.

Someone should go and average our record for the seasons [year 1] with with a new coach coming in.

And then someone should go and tell us what the years 1883, 1886, 1889, 1890, 1891, 1893, 1894, 1895, 1896, 1898, 1899, 1900, 1922, 1925, 1930, 1932, 1942, 1945, 1951, 1954, 1972, 1979, 1984, 1986, 1992, 1997, and 2007 have at all to do with the year 2011.

6 wins would be fantastic.

dpodoll68, your avatar picture remains amazing.

And then someone should go and tell us what the years 1883, 1886, 1889, 1890, 1891, 1893, 1894, 1895, 1896, 1898, 1899, 1900, 1922, 1925, 1930, 1932, 1942, 1945, 1951, 1954, 1972, 1979, 1984, 1986, 1992, 1997, and 2007 have at all to do with the year 2011.

Don't you have a plane to catch?

Gray had better have learned how to hang onto the ball. Brewster took the ball out of Gray's hands due to drops and Kill's leash has to be even shorter.

Toss ups - these might have more talent but there are other factors
Michigan - talent but is Hoke the guy? Will he make effective use of Robinson?
Illinois - could be Zooks last year.
Iowa - rebuilding
Northwestern
Purdue

I don't see any of the Big Ten games as probable wins, but I think the 5 could be tossup games, if you can win 2/3 of the 5 tossup games and hopefully you are at 5 or six wins. I think 6-6 is the most likely outcome with 7-5 possible.

Top Bottom